Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Babies, toddlers, bedtime? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kyra
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote Kyra

How do you manage to put a baby to bed before a loud toddler? I've got an almost-three year old and an eight month old now, and I've been holding on to the baby's evening nap so I can put him to bed at 8:30, after my bigger boy conks out. Bigger boy is very loud and energetic, and sleeps in the room right next to ours (where baby is now).

I've thought about gritting my teeth and putting baby to bed and then comforting right after toddler goes to bed, but since the toddler doesn't mind baby noise, and the baby always wakes up if the toddler gets shouty.... sigh.
Back to Top View Kyra's Profile Search for other posts by Kyra

VanessaVH
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote VanessaVH

It's a hard stage and I will confess to almost always arranging current baby's nap schedule to allow for putting him to bed after the others if I am doing it myself, if DH is helping, he will put the older one(s) to bed while I nurse baby... So not much help, but (((((Hugs))))
Back to Top View VanessaVH's Profile Search for other posts by VanessaVH

Kyra
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote Kyra

Thanks. Even if I put baby to bed after toddler they still seem to be playing wake-each-other-up until after ten. One will wake and cry or talk, which wakes the other, and then they both go back to sleep, and then one starts shouting.... sigh.
Back to Top View Kyra's Profile Search for other posts by Kyra

VanessaVH
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote VanessaVH

Have you thought of using a white noise machine? You can get them for about $20 dollars at target in the pharmacy section (sleep aids?) It really helped a lot when this baby was younger and quite a light sleeper. The one we got has a timer option if you don't want it going all night. It lets you choose rainfall, heartbeat, nature and a few others... Nicholas loved the heartbeat and it really helped drown out his brother's noise during nap time and after bedtime.
Back to Top View VanessaVH's Profile Search for other posts by VanessaVH

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

When my boys were that age we would drive them around to get them to sleep, a.k.a. Car Parenting! My DH and ended up really looking forward to this time each night as it was a peaceful way for us to get a nice 30 +/- conversation in, as well as, a non stressful, non tearful way to get both of our boy to sleep at the same time.
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 29 2010 at 9:46am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

VanessaVH wrote:
Have you thought of using a white noise machine?

I was going to suggest the same thing. We have a noisemaker of some sort (a fan or a radio set to static, etc.) in each of the bedrooms. They really help.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

SusanMc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 29 2010 at 10:19am | IP Logged Quote SusanMc

I know this is counterintuitive but when my guys were about the same age as yours (or actually just a little younger) we put them in the same room. There was a little more babble at bedtime but being able to see each other and knowing that they weren't missing out on anything really helped them settle down and stay down. I think the "peer pressure" of bedtime routine really helps for us. It was a little crazy at first to do bath and bedtime all at once but it has the added payoff of more Mom and Dad alone time.
Back to Top View SusanMc's Profile Search for other posts by SusanMc

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version