Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: video games online Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mooreboyz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 6:56am | IP Logged Quote mooreboyz

My older 2 boys have been enjoying playing their xbox online with some kids they know. I hear them laughing and talking and I like that they are able to do this with other kids. My problem is that it seems all other parents let their kids do this every night until 5 in the morning! I feel staying up until 12 is quite late enough for 11 amd 13 year old(on weekend). And dh thinks games are only for weekends. The boys get so sad and I feel bad because I like the social part of this. I just find the amount allowed to other kids is crazy!

What are your experiences and rules?

allegiance_mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote allegiance_mom

My opinion is that socializing (via any method) until the wee hours is too much for children. Would you let your children stay at a friend's house until midnight? Or let them have friends over until then playing board games?

Our ds who is 12 goes to be at nine, very rarely later.

We only allow our boys a total of one hour of "screen time" per day. This includes computer and TV time. We don't have a game system, but they do play games on iphone / ipad, and that time counts as well. There are some exceptions to this, of course, be we do try to set limits.

My son serves Mass every other Sunday, there is just no way he would be able to be attentive and awake at 8:30 am if I let him stay up til midnight. They both need 10 - 11 hours of sleep a night.

I think games on weekends only is a great idea! We don't do that, but if that is the established rule in your house, I say good for you!

Good luck working this out!

Wife 17 years
Mom to two boys, 14 and 8, and one pre-born babe in Heaven (Jan 2010)
Back to Top View allegiance_mom's Profile Search for other posts by allegiance_mom Visit allegiance_mom's Homepage

mooreboyz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote mooreboyz

Thanks for your input Allegiance. These preteen years can be tough...you want to give them some independence, but still do what is best for them. I have seen what too much screen time does to the kids (emotional zombies) and so if it were up to me there would be 1 hour limits. Dh likes them to feel like they had a blow out fun time and so on the weekends they are allowed to play with their friends until quite late. Then the kids still complain when we tell them to shut it down at midnight. This upsets dh and I tell him to remember that they are kids and that they will push for as much as they can just like a toddler will beg for another cookie. It still can make a parent feel bad because you feel like you have given them so much leniency and they feel like you are being strict.

jhigdon
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Nov 23 2010 at 5:29am | IP Logged Quote jhigdon

I have a "only on the weekend" policy, and those games (Xbox and/or DS) are off by 8pm. I know many kids who play until the wee hours of the night (and that's from playing all day) and I personally just don't think young kids need to be online or playing games that long.

My older kids just gave it up for Advent (at my pushing).

I'm not a huge fan of video games either so I might not be the best person.
Back to Top View jhigdon's Profile Search for other posts by jhigdon

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version