Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: The best part about teaching littles... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 12 2010 at 6:33am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I was at a friend's house recently, and her two year old daughter was coloring with the big girls. She brought her picture over to show us: it was a delightful scribbly mess of all different colors. She was so excited to show us that her little body was just shaking with happiness. It was one of those great moments when you realize what a joy it is to teach our children... especially the little ones.

What is your favorite thing about teaching littles?

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 12 2010 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I have to say I enjoy the child's delight and wonder. I love seeing everything new through their eyes.

And also, I love the spontaneous hugs and kisses when they are so filled with joy. That's my payment.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

violingirl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 12 2010 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote violingirl

The exact thing you described- when they are so overcome with their accomplishment that they just can't wait to share it!

I also love when some of the things they learn come together in their play. We've been talking about Blue Whales for ages now (my 5yo is obsessed with them) and a simple game of tag has now become "I'm a blue whale and you're the krill I'm going to chase and eat!"

Back to Top View violingirl's Profile Search for other posts by violingirl Visit violingirl's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 12 2010 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

violingirl wrote:

I also love when some of the things they learn come together in their play. We've been talking about Blue Whales for ages now (my 5yo is obsessed with them) and a simple game of tag has now become "I'm a blue whale and you're the krill I'm going to chase and eat!"

I love that, too. At my house we've had a lot of doll baptisms, parting of the Red Sea at bath time (which is handy to explain why there is water on the bathroom floor) and a lot of literary characters who come for the day or week to play. For some reason Smee from Peter Pan goes to the library often with us, but, alas- he is very naughty and always gets the wrong book, which makes the kids quite rowdy.

And sometimes it backfires- it's tough to hear your children crucifying Barbie in the next room

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 12 2010 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I LOVE LOVE LOVE how perfectly present they are in THE MOMENT! They are such a witness to me...to not let my mind wander to the past or speculate about the future.

And as you all have described so well, I love grasping THAT MOMENT of shear joy with them. A story...I hand out candy from a big bowl on Halloween, but when the real little ones come to my door, I kneel down with the bowl and let them choose. A sweet little girl, aged ~18month, dressed up as Minnie Mouse couldn't believe her good fortune. She dropped everything in her hands, chose a Smartie candy, one for each hand, raised them in triumph, and about burst with happiness! THAT moment, especially when it is attached to growing in understanding, is precious.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 12 2010 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Great story- I love it when they are so excited like that!

Gracesmom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Nov 12 2010 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote Gracesmom

SeaStar wrote:

And sometimes it backfires- it's tough to hear your children crucifying Barbie in the next room

Ahahahahaha that is so funny!! Kids are so imaginative, eh?

I'd have to say one of my favorite parts of teaching little ones is when they count, or name a color, or start to read....I taught them that. I didn't need some fancy teaching degree, or have a high I.Q, just love and patience. I would love to think to myself, that all my basic knowledge, colors, numbers, shapes, etc I learned from my mother (sadly this isn't true in my case), but my children will be able to think that when they're older :)
Back to Top View Gracesmom's Profile Search for other posts by Gracesmom

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 12 2010 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Gracesmom wrote:
I'd have to say one of my favorite parts of teaching little ones is when they count, or name a color, or start to read....I taught them that. I didn't need some fancy teaching degree, or have a high I.Q, just love and patience.

It really is a privilege...and a deep connection, isn't it? Learning together is a relationship builder...and feels to me like the growing, strengthening of souls!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version