Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Family far and wide... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

We have family all over. We were looking at our spending trying to increase our contributions to charity and are realizing how much we spend in hotels, gas, eating out, entertainment while with others, etc.
We knew we weren't spending a lot at home   
It is really all the visits to family. And with both sides being all over the country and no routine reunions, we spend a lot of time and money on this. Funerals, special birthdays, bar mitzvah, a holiday, etc.

How do you handle visiting family? My parents are older and only have my 2 kids for grandkids so I would like to see them at least once a year. But they live a 2 day drive away. And dh's grandfather is a 6 hour drive and 2 hotel nights--we do him yearly. I need some space so the hotel is sanity thing and one with a kitchen to help feed dd with her allergies makes it easier for me.
I'm having a tough time determining some "parameters." If it can even be done.
Ideas?

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Maybe you should start planning routine reunions.

I'm afraid our families are scattered throughout Australia and we only can go years without seeing each other.

I always state to my children that I plan on having everyone home every third Christmas, this way we will ensure some visits. Also thinking of instituting an annual or maybe bi-annual holiday at the beach once they start leaving home.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

We make a trip once a year to see each of our families. That is it. This year, our trip to see dh's family coincides with his niece's wedding and Thanksgiving (which she planned so that people could come without making an extra trip). But we don't make special trips for extra things. If we make it to an "event," that means we timed our yearly trip to coincide with that event, yk? We do try to communicate with family so that we are there at the same time that siblings we haven't seen in a while are there. But we will often go several years without seeing some of dh's siblings who are scattered all over.

Erin, I think that the "third" Christmas and periodic (though, I probably wouldn't go annual because that get's to be a burden and you might have better luck getting everyone at the same time if it were less) vacation are great ideas!

Sometimes it feels like you have to plan these trips out a couple of years in advance, and then you are never sure if you'll end up at the holiday the right year to see the people you've missed on the last trip. A routine like that would be so helpful!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 09 2010 at 12:13am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Christmas is tricky.. so many things can trip you up.. weather not the least of all.. plus when family is used to teens/adults only.. sometimes they can be resistent to adjusting for young children again.

We travel at Thanksgiving.. or Easter.. summertime is usually out because of dh's job. Occationally early fall when other things preempt travel at Thanksgiving.. like Confirmation for our oldest.. due dates.. and such things.

But my family is all local to me for the first time since I got married.. and dh's family is only a half day drive away.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version