Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Christmas present for 15 yo Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary's daughter
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 6:21am | IP Logged Quote Mary's daughter

Any ideas? My 15 yo cannot come up with ideas for Christmas presents. He likes anything electronic but we are trying to stay away from that. Too distracting for him with home schooling.

Stephanie
Back to Top View Mary's daughter's Profile Search for other posts by Mary's daughter

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Ooohhhh! I know! A New Car!!!!

Really though, my boys would all love as many video/game system games I could buy, but I detest them. We do usually wind up buying a new one each year, though.

Would a board game work? My dh and boys love to play Risk.

Sports equipment? My oldest loves anything to do with camping/backpacking/hiking. My next oldest would love any lacrosse equipment. When he was younger, basketball. Oh, and the clothing to go with it- just have to have the right clothes and accessories for working out.

Tools? I have a friend who started her boys (when they couldn't come up with any ideas of what they wanted) on toolboxes, and she adds to it each year, so when they move out, they have tools ready to go.

Clothing? Your son is about that age where clothes might be up his alley. My oldest already said he wants a new Red Wings shirt for Christmas.

Ornaments? I give the boys an ornament every Christmas. When they move out, someday , their trees won't be bare (but ours will!)

Books? My boys love books ranging from anything history related to C.S. Lewis. Lots of fiction and biographies.

Anything he wants for his room?

Legos? I know, he is 15, but my older boys (22, 20 and 15 would all be disappointed if they didn't get a little lego set in their stocking!)

Tickets to a sporting/musical event?

Signing up for a class in something he has a passion for? (I am having our next-door neighbor-major car guy- give my 15yods a car how-to/maintenance instruction "class.")

Good luck!!!!

In Christ,
Stacy in MI   
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

By 15yrs electronics is what my boys like. We're thinking of upgrading our ds' ipod. Otherwise it would be books, DVDs or Play Station Games. As a joint present though the boys will also receive a flying fox for the dam. Generally we do try to get something active too. The last couple of years they have either received bow and arrows or stockwhips.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mary's daughter
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote Mary's daughter

Thanks for the great ideas. I have something to work with now!

Erin-What does your son have on his ipod? Do you monitor what he downloads? Oh...and what is a flying fox? I'm assuming it is not an actual fox that flies!

Stephanie
Back to Top View Mary's daughter's Profile Search for other posts by Mary's daughter

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

What about tools? like screwdrivers and wrenches and the like.. something he'll be able to take with him as an adult and be able to handle any standard repairs on cars or houses.

And you don't have to get it all at once.. it could be a nice toolbox to start with and then add tools for any gift giving occations.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Mary's daughter wrote:

Erin-What does your son have on his ipod? Do you monitor what he downloads? Oh...and what is a flying fox? I'm assuming it is not an actual fox that flies!

Stephanie

A flying fox is a zip line or cable that will stretch across the dam. Underneath is a pulley system with handles that the children hold onto and drop into the water halfway across. Lots of fun

We try to monitor what ds downloads, he is very good about sticking to our parameters, any 'errors' are more made out of innocence. He has alot of music from previous eras and enjoys more modern soundtracks from movies such as Shrek. He is drawn more to beat and lyrics, he has a phenomenal memory for lyrics which is why we be so careful as to what is going in. So he is not necessarily drawn to 'what is in' but more if it appeals to him on an individual basis.

When we travel in the car we often have him play his ipod into the speakers or into the speakers of the computer at home. This way we can monitor what he has added and dh will tell him if he needs to remove the track or not. To be honest I have handed over this part of parenting to dh, so is all between father and son.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mary's daughter
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 05 2010 at 7:06am | IP Logged Quote Mary's daughter

Thanks, Erin.

Stephanie

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version