Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: DD low blood sugar.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 23 2010 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

Amy's (my auto-immune compromised daughter of which she is suffering right now) blood sugar has been dropping into the 40's.   She passed out at school Friday....(too scary). It happens about 2 hours after eating a decent meal.

I guess I need to to know what snacks are best for keeping her sugar at an even level and up....she is NOT diabetic, but is having a terrible time right now.

Her auto immune problems are terrible right now and there is talk of sending her the Boston Children's Hospital (500 miles from home)....She visits a rheumatologist in 2 weeks in Syracuse...to try and get her troubles under control, if not, we will be going to Boston.

The urgent problem is her sugar level right now. Any help is appreciated.

Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

wifemommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 25 2010 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote wifemommy

Protein and complex carbs she may need to snack every 1-2 hours right now until this can be addressed. If she feels faint a quick carb like OJ followed by a protein to keep it up.    to you and your daughter how scary. Annie
Back to Top View wifemommy's Profile Search for other posts by wifemommy

JaysFamily
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 25 2010 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote JaysFamily

Could they still evaluate her for insulin resistance, even if she's not diabetic? Having drastic swings in blood sugar can be a symptom, and it's often not accompanied by diabetes, but can lead to it.

I find that eating a lot of protein and fiber keeps me balanced the best. If I eat too many carbs, then I have a huge blood sugar crash, but I'm not a diabetic...yet. I can eat eggs, bacon (turkey or center cut), whole grain breads, or avocados for breakfast, fruit snacks such as apples, nuts, etc. I can usually avoid an afternoon crash if I have a very loaded salad for lunch. If it's not loaded with enough "stuff" then I'll have a crash. Dinner is still a hard one for me to figure out. I'm trying to find the right balance of things to have so I don't have to snack before I go to bed.

Jaysfamily
wife to Jay
mother to DS(5)
Back to Top View JaysFamily's Profile Search for other posts by JaysFamily

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 25 2010 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

You might check into "Reactive Hypoglycemia" I have a friend with this and it sounds rather like what you're describing. In this case.. carbs like someone without issues can do.. like the oj followed with protein.. could throw her into another crash.. and no or very low carbs would be the way to go.. lots of protein snacks (like nuts would be very portable) would help her keep things stable.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version