Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: I have rats Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Literally! Not inside!!!! Thank the Lord, we'd probably move!

But their holes are all around the edge of our concrete patio and walk-up stairs from our basement. We tried pest people, they called them voles. They are wrong! My kids have seen them, yuck!

Anyways, short of getting an outdoor cat (which might just happen this spring), any other ideas that have worked??!!!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

I would probably try those kits available at hardware stores (we used one that had blue crystal looking nuggets when we had mice. I would guess they work on rats, too?)

Also, make sure that you have a "clear" landscape around the perimeter of your home. Trim up bushes, remove any tall grasses, any trash (switch to metal cans if need be, although I've heard they can gnaw through metal, too.)

And last, I'd call your city. Someone in our neighborhood saw a rat crossing a street, called the city (I'm not sure what department, but they will direct you, I'm sure,) and someone came out, went door-to-door to check if anyone else had seens rats and gave us all a sheet of suggestions to make our homes/yards "unfriendly" to rats. It was a huge deal to this person who came out. Rats can carry diseases and do a lot of damage. Plus, I guess they multiply quickly.

Here is a link I found to some suggestions from the other side of the coast, but I'd guess the recommendations would be the same, anywhere.

If I saw one, I'd probably freak!    I will pray they are gone, quickly!

In Christ,
Stacy in MI

Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Ok, that link I gave said not to use poison, so please disregard that bit of advice I gave!

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Kacky,
No advice. Cats and barn owls are great for clearing out all sorts of rodents thought.

But I did want to say that I'm pretty sure city rats are gross and nasty because they come across so much garbage, etc., but I'd be surprised if you had that kind? Your area is so rural! Even if you did have rats (instead of voles), I wouldn't think they'd be the same threat as rats in the city. Just my thoughts -- for your peace of mind.

As for me, all kinds of wildlife are par for the course around here -- as long as they aren't in my house, we'll get along just fine. Although Dan would really like to get rid of the groundhog that eats his veggies.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

It sounds like you have Norway rats. The common roof rat doesn't burrow undergound, but Norway rats do. We have had some experience with roof rats...we have had to seal all openings around the foundation and roofline, frequently clean out the woodpile and woodbin (attached to the outside of the chimney with a door to the inside), and remove two persimmon trees from our yard. We still see the occasional one, but we live in an area with a lot of wildlife. If you have a fairly large property (I live in CA--anything bigger than 7,000 sq. feet is fairly large to me), you could put up a Barn Owl House. We've talked about doing this, because we have tons of gophers, too, but we haven't yet.

Other than that, a cat or a rat terrier might be your best choice for a new pet.   

allegiance_mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote allegiance_mom

Don't fill or refill any bird feeders as long as you have them. They eat the bird seed. We had them when we lived in the city. Our whole neighborhood was invaded when they did a sewer project and disturbed them. Yuck. I can sympathize.

Wife 17 years
Mom to two boys, 14 and 8, and one pre-born babe in Heaven (Jan 2010)
Back to Top View allegiance_mom's Profile Search for other posts by allegiance_mom Visit allegiance_mom's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

allegiance_mom wrote:
Don't fill or refill any bird feeders as long as you have them. They eat the bird seed. We had them when we lived in the city. Our whole neighborhood was invaded when they did a sewer project and disturbed them. Yuck. I can sympathize.

We just found one (dead, thank God) outside a few months ago, and removed our bird feeder because of that. We haven't found many other signs from the outside, but I think we'll keep checking. Yuck.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 23 2010 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

We just have a 1/2 acre in a subdivision, but as Maryan said, we are "a bit out" from the main city. We have lots of deer too that are even daring enough to run down the street once in a blue moon and a home that is next to our subdivision lets it's chickens roam free and they have been down the road too, so that would be kind of rural   

We don't have any garbage or bird feeders out back at all. The only thing that my dh and I came up with as to why they are at our house is maybe because the houses all around us, have dogs. We have allergies    We look more inviting. You'd think all the children would do something to keep them away, guess not heh?

Maryan...I'll have to ask your sil for any kittens?? Almost got one or two from her this summer, should have done it!

Oh and I really know nothing about owls. Would just putting up one of those houses attract them? There is an old falling down barn which backs up to our road, but about 10 houses down from me. Either way...looks like a fun project for my boys who carve and nail any all wood they can get their hands on! Thanks Lisa!

Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 26 2010 at 6:06am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

When we had barn owls, there was not a mouse to be seen! However, their eyesight is terrible and they are prone to killing themselves in barbed wire fences, so we only had a breeding pair one season since we've been here. Dan said years ago, a guy came out and put up a barn owl house in the silo. But then Isabelle blew off the top of the silo and we've only seen an occasional barn owl since.

And Erin's out of kittens sadly. But her cat is a great mouser. Sometimes even leaves her kills on our doorstep... lovely.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 26 2010 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Maryan wrote:
prone to killing themselves in barbed wire fences

EWWW.... What a visual, Maryan! Icky and disturbing and funny at the same time.   

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 26 2010 at 10:34pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

That is an ugly image Maryan!

I'll have to pray for Erin's cat to find another mate! LOL

She's such a good mouser (the cat, NOT Erin!), the DNA must be good!!!LOL

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2010 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote anitamarie

At least they weren't in the couch: Even a Dress Has Its Limitations

Gross Out Warning!

Good Luck

Anita
Back to Top View anitamarie's Profile Search for other posts by anitamarie

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 27 2010 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Anita...Anita...I have absolutely no words.

I can't even fathom...can't even!!!!!!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version