Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Doorposts behavior charts Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LisaC
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 08 2010 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote LisaC

Does anyone have any experience with Doorposts scriptural based behavior charts? We are having some issues with behavior and my husband and I don't always have the right words to convince our kids how and why their behavior is hurting themselves and our family, or we are just tired of repeating ourselves! I know these aren't Catholic, but is there anything contradictory in them? Does anyone have any recommendations for similar behavior aids that are Catholic?

Thanks!

Back to Top View LisaC's Profile Search for other posts by LisaC

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 08 2010 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I have these- both the If-then charts and the blessings chart. I bought them about five years ago or so.

Hmm.... I did use the if/then chart for awhile, but after a time the novelty of it wore off, and I found that it wasn't helping so much.

For one, it loses its punch if you are not close enough to the chart to see the consequences. For example, if you are out in the yard and have to deal with a situation right then, it's not very effective to run inside, consult the chart, and then run back outside.

And then some of the consequences would get "used up" so to speak. For example, one consequence we had was to spend ten minutes cleaning up the playroom. Well, if that has already been done three days in a row, it's not a very effective consequence anymore (the room being spotless), so you have to come up with something else.

I finally took down the chart and have gone with Dr. Guerandi's method from his book "DIscipline to Last a Lifetime".

For infractions, there is one warning. After that, the offender does 15 minutes of "hard labor" for me. I have a list of chores posted inside a kitchen cabinet to consult. It's simple- bad behavior equals extra labor. Then I can decide quickly if the floors need to be swept more than the bathrooms need to be cleaned and send the worker off to work.

The verses on the chart are nice, but you could easily research these on your own and tailor them to fit your needs. The charts are a bit expensive, IMO.    

HTH!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version