Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: tips for picking a dancing school? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 04 2010 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote LucyP

DD is desperate to start dance. She is 3.5. We have a couple of options locally but I am at a loss as to how to pick a school. The schools locally offer "baby ballet" or preschool-dance, and one which is most convenient to us for walking to runs a class which includes ballet, music appreciation and singing at a convenient time but on the phone the woman sounded cold and distant. We are not allowed in the room to see how the lessons go or reassure our children, although if they ask to leave and come to the waiting area they are allowed to. I assume that is normal, but how does one evaluate the class for value for money or a good fit for the child from the other side of a closed door?
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 04 2010 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Asking around is a good idea. You'll want to find out about spring recitals (and how much recital costumes cost - ours run about $50 each), make-up policies (if you miss a class, what happens), other requirements for parents (volunteering), etc. You should also ask these questions of the school, of course, but parents will give you good information. (Some dance schools have an online forum that is public, and some parenting forums have dance school info, too.)

Some dance schools have parent observation weeks in the fall, so you could ask about that, too. (Ours does - parents can watch the class during that week.)

I'd talk with a few schools and some parents of preschoolers to get an idea of typical practices in your area before deciding on a school.

Remember, too, that you can change schools later if things don't work out. Your daughter is young and may want to try several dance styles over the next few years.

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2010 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

Our ballet school doesn't allow parents to watch except for during parent watch weeks as well. It really is better for the children because they act differently when the parents are watching.

I'd do what Nancy suggested. Check out the costs. Also look into the types of costumes they wear. Some places wear things no one should wear, if you know what I mean.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 04 2010 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

My dd does Irish Dance. We quit ballet because all the schools here had a "no parent observation" rule, and I was uncomfortable with that. I also disliked many of the costumes the ballet dancers wore. The Irish dance school we use is super family friendly! And they work hard to keep costs down. The owner believes it needs to be about the dance not costumes and hair. All the girls wear the same costumes until they get to the higher levels. When your dd outgrows hers you bring it in and swap for another. And they are COVERED neck to knees!

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 04 2010 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

We do Irish dance, too. We have a no-observation rule but we can be in the waiting area next to the dance studio, so it's easy to hear what's going on. (With Irish dance, you ALWAYS hear what's going on, LOL!)

Our initial school dance dresses are fairly reasonable in price (we have to buy them), but things start to add up if you do competitions and have to buy the official competition dress. We do have lots of used dresses and shoes (also expensive) for sale, both in our school and in the region. Some schools have costume rental instead, where the school owns the dresses and you pay to use them. Worth checking if you opt for Irish.

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 05 2010 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

I just called a ballet center in our downtown area today....and Lily is going to take her first class this Thursday.....I am so, so excited!! I picked this particular one because they have a “special needs” class...although Lily is not going to be in that class, the school is very active in the special needs community. As soon as I talked to the instructor, I knew this would probably work...she was so inviting and said she was used to kids with special needs, and there is a window where we can observe.....and she would do whatever it took to make sure Lily had a safe and fun time. My heart sung!! She said all of the other three year olds are very welcoming, hug each other if someone is having a “bad” day.....are very sweet to each other.....this sounds just like the kind of group Lily needs after a pretty rough Summer. I had to share.....I know it isn’t much advise, but in my previous experience with gymnastic and music classes for the boys, it often is trial and error....and just finding the “right fit”. Sometimes I just get a gut feeling about a place and try to listen to that as well. The best thing is, the instructor insisted we come first and see if this is indeed going to work for Lily before plunking down any money. That is a good plan....
Keep us updated, we can see how our 3 yr old sweeties do in their classes!

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 07 2010 at 2:47am | IP Logged Quote LucyP

DD went to dancing school yesterday - her teacher is not the directress I spoke to on the phone, but a very warm, sweet lady who DD took to in a split second and then followed around, trying to copy her ballet dancers walk and saying "I like Miss X, she is so pretty and smiling". The teacher lifted the curtains over the doors so I could watch as DD was alone in the class yesterday and she was adorable! The teacher couldn't believe her age or that she had never had any teaching before because she was so focussed, so obedient, graceful, co-ordinated and natural. I have to say, visions of tutus danced in my head, and I am not a "dancey" sort of mama! Today I am taking her for shoes and her sweet little uniform and I am so excited and gushy!
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 6:51am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Oh, how sweet!! We had a very similar experience at Lily’s ballet last week. It was precious. She listened well, was smiling the entire 45 mins!
I was such a tomboy growing up, but secretly really wanted the chance to do things like dance and ballet. It is so fun to do the whole tutu and ballet slippers shopping with Lily.

”excited and gushy” perfect description!!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version