Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: Seton book reports Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
misswallo
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 14 2010 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote misswallo

I hope this is the right place to post this... We enrolled our oldest daughter, 11yrs, in Seton Lang. Arts. She is now working on her first book report and is totally frustrated and upset. She doesn't think that the topic sentences Seton wants to be use for each paragragh is going to allow her to explain what the book is really about. She has been working for more than an hour on ONE paragragh. She is in tears and I don't know how to help her. I've explained what I think they want her to include, but apparently I "don't understand" Can anyone who is enrolled with Seton tell me how strict they are with grading book reports?
Back to Top View misswallo's Profile Search for other posts by misswallo

Teachin'Mine2
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 14 2010 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote Teachin'Mine2

What grade is your daughter in?   They have wonderful elementary counselors she can call and talk with.   They will help her to understand what they're looking for.   My dd was in 8th last year, and the book reports weren't about explaining what the book was about, it was more about analyzing the book from a particular point of view.   Often they were looking for character traits of the main character, or how the character dealt with conflict.   Those topic sentences should guide her on exactly what they're looking for.   All she needs to do is to provide examples from the book which support the topic sentence.

If she's in the elementary grades, she can always resubmit the paper to try for a higher grade.   The grader will show you what needs to be changed or improved.    Tell her it's best to call to get clear instructions on how the paper should be done, write it to the best of her ability, and send it in to find out how close she came to what they're looking for.   

It's always encouraging to hear about their graduates and how they talk about how easy it is to write college papers because they were well prepared.       I wish her well with her assignment.   

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version