Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Science & the sensory table Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
UK Mum
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 02 2010 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote UK Mum

the sensory table was a big hit for us here last year (it lives outdoors in the summer months!) so I would like to continue with it again this year. I have a just turned 5 yo & a 7.5 yo. I thought it would be good to use it to introduce science concepts in a very relaxed way.
Has anyone experience of this, or any suggestions for me?

Thank you!!!

“I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.”
Michelangelo
Back to Top View UK Mum's Profile Search for other posts by UK Mum

tm2boys
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Sept 08 2010 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote tm2boys

Lynn, a sensory table is such a fun item to have! Remember it is just a wonderful confined space that you can use for any activity that needs a "space" or needs to be "contained" (think in terms of "messy"). I worked for years in places with sensory tables and now make do with trays, plastic tubs, the bathtub, and at times the kitchen sink. Just take all your science projects and put them into the sensory table.

Here are some ways I have used one:

* Sink and float- Go around home and with your children collect a tub of items predicting sink/float and why as you do. Let the children experiment in the sensory table filled with water. Label papers and sort items after tested. Extend by providing foil, plastic containers, straws ect.. to create boats and crafts.

*Magnetism- put magnetic and non-magnetic item in table for experimenting, sorting, and labeling. Invite your little ones to draw or record about what they did or learned. Extend on another day by adding water to the table to work with magnets in water. Or, with a dry table tape pictures to strong magnets and using a strong magnetic wand under the table move the magnets with pictures around. Tell stories.

*liquids, solids, and gases- Water experiences and experiments- pour water down gutter pieces, through PVC pipe tubes, and syphon with clear plastic tubing (add food coloring so they can see the liquid moving). Solids- wet sand, clay, dough and containers to shape them in. Ice blocks with small bowls of salt with spoons and bowls of water with turkey basters or eye droppers (depending on the size of the ice block). Gasses- pour a box or two of baking soda into tub and give the children mini cups of vinegar (I always extend mine by mixing 1:1/4 water) and eye droppers. Let them drip the vinegar solution onto the baking soda and watch and listen to the reaction. If you give them muffin tins with a little water in each cup they can help you pick and add food coloring- it just adds to the fun.

Oh, no... I have more, but no time right now! Well... hope you enjoy your sensory table they really are great spaces.   
Back to Top View tm2boys's Profile Search for other posts by tm2boys

UK Mum
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 09 2010 at 4:05am | IP Logged Quote UK Mum

thank you so very much!

there are some great ideas here. Thank you for taking the time to share.

I am going to pick up some eye droppers & such today : )

“I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.”
Michelangelo
Back to Top View UK Mum's Profile Search for other posts by UK Mum

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version