Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Wedding Gift for Someone You've Not Met Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 28 2010 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Dh's colleague is getting married Saturday - we had less than a week's notice - and I have never met her or her intended. They're working professionals and don't need basic household items.

I need gift ideas, please!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 28 2010 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

a made for two basket with local specialty products..

like a basket with a bottle of a local (or near to) wine a couple of wine glasses, a couple of cloth napkins, some locally produced cheese, jelly, honey etc that can go on crackers, also included and some sort of local desert type thing.. chocolate or something.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 28 2010 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Nancy, is it OK if I tag on this. We're in a similar situation. My dd has been in an adult karate class since we moved here 6 years ago (I was in the class for the first 2.) An adult student married his long-time live-in girlfriend, who we also know through the class - but not well. I'd like a gift that really highlights the beauty of marriage - the commitment - to give them a big pat on the back for doing right (they were stuck in that youthful "we don't need a license to prove our love! trap.) Thanks!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 28 2010 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Exactly, Angie. I was thinking of a photo frame for their wedding picture...but I have no idea what style to buy. Argh.

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2010 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote LucyP

I was just discussing this with a gentleman at the weekend - they had been invited to a wedding at the last moment for people they were not that close to so they didn't know what style of things they liked etc and the couple already had everything they really wanted as they were living together. All we could come up with was a bottle of champagne or a chocolate club, where you get chocolates by post for a year. Even if people are not big chocolate eaters or champagne drinkers they are not the sort of gift that would go to waste.
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

Gracesmom
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 28 2010 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote Gracesmom

My husband and I usually just give money. That way it can go towards the cost of their wedding, or to a honeymoon or something they really want/need. And it's "stress free"...no thinking, wrapping, etc.

For our wedding we didn't register, so we either got money or a TON of stuff we didn't end up using (lots of champaigne glasses, even though we don't drink).

Back to Top View Gracesmom's Profile Search for other posts by Gracesmom

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 28 2010 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I would do that, Gracesmom, if the bride weren't a colleague of my husband. In this particular case, though, I can't do that.

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2010 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

A picture frame or print with 1 Corin. 13 is always meaningful and appropriate, whether the recipients are believers or not...all married couples do well to be reminded "Love is patient, love is kind...."!

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2010 at 5:35pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

If they aren't registered, you don't know their decorating tastes, religious background?, etc., what about a gift certificate to a nice restaurant in the area? Or a gift certificate to anywhere that dh may have heard them talk about? Movies?

Just throwing those out, because I would be stumped, too.

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

mathmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2010 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote mathmama

When dh and I got married a friend gave us about 4 or 5 smallish gift certificates to different nice and interesting local restaurants. Her explanation was that she knew we wouldn't just go out (we were and still are very frugal) and this would force us to. I think that sometimes young couples don't take the time to just spend quality time together and this encourages them to. We really enjoyed going to those restaurants most of which we had never been to before.

Veronica 10/09
Theodora 11/12
Back to Top View mathmama's Profile Search for other posts by mathmama

mom3aut1not
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 28 2010 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote mom3aut1not

Nancy,

I go to Annapolis Pottery and get something there. That is my standard present for a professional couple who already have at least two of everything and lots of disposable income.

In Christ,

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 29 2010 at 2:41am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

One of the best gifts we received was an outfitted picnic basket. It contained plates, utensils, tablecloth, napkins and glasses for four. I really liked it because everything was always ready to go on a spur of the moment occassion.

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 31 2010 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Update: I went to Annapolis today - Annapolis Pottery looked like the perfect place, except...I could NOT park! All the public lots were full and there was no street parking. Dd and I drove around for almost an hour and gave up. We went to the mall to buy some hair clips she needs for dance competitions.

I dragged her into Crate and Barrel, hoping for inspiration...and found it. The two most useful wedding gifts dh and I received (that we still have and still use very, very regularly) were a garment bag and a nice cutting board. I came home with a beautiful American-made cutting board and the oil to make it last and look beautiful for decades.

Thanks for your help, everyone! I loved all the ideas. I definitely plan to go back to Annapolis Pottery (NOT on a Saturday!) and check out the beautiful things I saw on the website.

P.S. - Do you think I remembered to buy wrapping paper? Uhhhh....

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version