Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Tots Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
TradCathMom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 10 2005 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote TradCathMom

So, what do you do with the Tots while you are homeschooling? I find myself very busy with the oldest 3 or 4 (grades 3, 2, 1 and k/pre-k. I'd like some suggestions for the other 3 besides running around making a mess in the entire rest of the house.

Do you help them change activities, have a schedule? I thought about having a timer and every 15 minutes change their activites. Homeschooling would be much easier if I knew how to contain the littles so they have fun things to do and don't get bored, etc..

I'd love as many ideas as humanly possible!

Julie's stuff
Trinity Acres
JMJ * AMDG
Back to Top View TradCathMom's Profile Search for other posts by TradCathMom Visit TradCathMom's Homepage

gwendyt
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 10 2005 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote gwendyt

Julie - I was just at www.mothersruleoflife.com (Holly Pierlot's site) and she has some excellent ideas for this...on home page click on November 2004 archives, then scroll down and find post "finding activities for little ones" and click on it. She also has further ideas in "holly's notebook" - scroll down that page for "activity ideas - little ones" Good stuff!

Back to Top View gwendyt's Profile Search for other posts by gwendyt Visit gwendyt's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2005 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Julie, my current littlest is a very bright and busy almost 3 yo. He is already interested in *doing* school, so I gave him his own notebook and everything he does artwise, sticker pics, prayers he makes up, poems and stories I pop into the notebook. He's VERY proud of it and loves to show it to anybody who'll want to see it. We also do alot of block towers (math) peg boards, stacking cups, puzzles, play doh, cutting and pasting, and of course free play, as long as he doesn't distract the older ones too much. He'll usually always sit with us too for read-alouds and likes to give his version of narration.

Now, all that said, there are many days when he would rather monopoloize mom from the other kids and things don't always go smoothly. On those kinds of days, I will assign one of the older children to do an activity with him, or just free play and then we swap so I have time to work with each child individually.

There are some great discussions going on in the Real Learning forum about setting up your school environment, definately worth a look see, so many great ideas that might be helpful too.

HTH a little bit. Keep loving those little ones, they will only be little for such a short time. *JMJ*

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 11 2005 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Here are some more thoughts, from a talk I did with Kathy Weber at NACHE a few years ago. We called it "Maria Montessori meets Charlotte Mason."2005-03-11_092124_NACHE_2003_M&M.doc

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

TradCathMom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 11 2005 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote TradCathMom

Thanks for all the ideas. I have been very frustrated in this department and I'm happy to see some ideas. We are in the process of building a house (still trying to get through red tape) but we did set it up so that we will have a large loft where we will house our school, office, library, sewing, etc... We have a schoolroom now but it is very tight and things just pile up all over, etc... (I am not sure it would qualify as "a creative mess" )

Wendy thanks for the link to Holly's site, that was one long list of ideas!   Though I had to chuckle about the idea of letting them play in the sink! I can only imagine a couple towels would not do it here!!

Elizabeth, I just received your book the other day and sat down to peruse it last night and I love it. I had a hard time putting it down but it was going on 1 am! I will read the article you suggested. How do you stay so humble with all your great ideas?!

I think I need to organize this area of my life (that is school with the littles). Thanks also for directing me to the other forum. I am sure I miss alot of posts as my computer time is limited!

Julie's stuff
Trinity Acres
JMJ * AMDG
Back to Top View TradCathMom's Profile Search for other posts by TradCathMom Visit TradCathMom's Homepage

TradCathMom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 11 2005 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote TradCathMom

Oh Meredith, I meant to add that 2 of the littles do seem interested in school but I find it hard to find the time to work with them. However, I *think* it is getting better as the older ones can do more and more all the time on their own.

I love your idea of giving them their own notebooks I will have to do that.

Julie's stuff
Trinity Acres
JMJ * AMDG

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 11 2005 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

TradCathMom wrote:

Elizabeth, I just received your book the other day and sat down to peruse it last night and I love it. I had a hard time putting it down but it was going on 1 am! I will read the article you suggested. How do you stay so humble with all your great ideas?!

It is very humbling to be up late at night with great ideas only to find in the morning that there is no way to carry them out under my own strength. When I fall flat on my face (as I often do), I am reminded again and again that his power is perfect in my weakness and that, while I can do all things in Him, I can do nothing under my own strength. The hard thing for me is remembering that if I can't do it, after begging for help, it isn't meant to be.And there you go, we're back to the whole control issue being discussed in the prayer forum under "Job Interview."

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

TradCathMom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 11 2005 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote TradCathMom

Oh, Meredith, again, what do you use for a notebook? A 3 ring binder?

Thanks

Julie's stuff
Trinity Acres
JMJ * AMDG

TradCathMom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 11 2005 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote TradCathMom

Quote:

It is very humbling to be up late at night with great ideas only to find in the morning that there is no way to carry them out under my own strength. When I fall flat on my face (as I often do), I am reminded again and again that his power is perfect in my weakness and that, while I can do all things in Him, I can do nothing under my own strength. The hard thing for me is remembering that if I can't do it, after begging for help, it isn't meant to be.And there you go, we're back to the whole control issue being discussed in the prayer forum under "Job Interview."

This is where I found myself this lent. I went off-lists because I felt I needed something but I didn't know what. I'm a very prideful and selfish person and that just isn't what I wanted to be. And these forums have been the most humbling thing for me. Well, I digress.... I will go check out the control issue...

Julie's stuff
Trinity Acres
JMJ * AMDG

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2005 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Hey Julie, we just use those plain old white 3-ring binders you can buy in a pack at Costco. They are like presentation binders so the kids can personalize the front and back and spine with cover art and what the notebook contains. Try a 1/2 inch one for the littles and if your olders need them the 1 inch, 1 1/2 inch and 2 inch work great for unit studies and longer projects. Then all you have to do is add the page dividers and page protectors, voila your set and you have records of what they are learning to boot! (Not my original idea mind you )

HTH, *JMJ*

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: March 12 2005 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

happyheartsmom wrote:
Hey Julie, we just use those plain old white 3-ring binders you can buy in a pack at Costco.

FYI for those (like us) who don't have a Costco -- Sam's carries the same binders.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2005 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Hey Janette, thanks for posting this info as being in a Western state I forget how far Costco goes.

Another thing I remebered too, a friend of mine sent me a list of pre-school activities on a list where-by you put each activity (for a 2 week period or so) into a box or a zip-top bag and only bring this toy or activity out during school. She of course suggests rotating so the toys and activities are always fresh and little bit of a surprise.

Letting them have their own shelf or cubby or box with their things in seems to be helpful also.
I'll try and scan the list I have to a word doc and maybe Janette you can let me know how to send it and to which archive or file.

HTH.

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2005 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

happyheartsmom wrote:

Another thing I remebered too, a friend of mine sent me a list of pre-school activities on a list where-by you put each activity (for a 2 week period or so) into a box or a zip-top bag and only bring this toy or activity out during school. She of course suggests rotating so the toys and activities are always fresh and little bit of a surprise.

HTH.

This page has a lot of links
http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/

If you click on Preschoolers: What can they do during school time?, and then on Dolly's ziploc bag activities, this might be the same or similar list. There are quite a few other links on there as well for preschooler ideas.
hth,
Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 12 2005 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

OOOH, I hadn't heard of Dolly's list, thanks for the link Karen, it looks great!

TradCathMom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 12 2005 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote TradCathMom

That does look like a great list! I think this will really help. They are good for a while but then they straggle off and well, they never get bored but they get a bit too creative

Karen T, may I ask what your avatar is a picture of? I'm sure it is probably obvious but I've been trying to figure it out!!

Julie's stuff
Trinity Acres
JMJ * AMDG

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: March 15 2005 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

happyheartsmom wrote:
I'll try and scan the list I have to a word doc and maybe Janette you can let me know how to send it and to which archive or file.

Meredith, life has been hectic for the last few days, so I hadn't had much time on the computer. Sorry for taking so long to get back to you! If you'll scan the list, you can email it to me either as a Word file, text file, or just pasted into an email. I'll upload it to the server and post the link here. Anyone else who wants to upload files can send them to me too!

And thanks for the "rotating activities" reminder. I was at a friend's house the other day and she had reminded me about this too. I told myself I would start doing this, and then promptly forgot! My little ones could benefit from the variety, I think.

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2005 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

HI Janette, we've been busy the last two days as well and I forgot to try my scan Let me work on which method seems to work best and I'll try and get it to you by the weekend or so.

We thrive on the *rotating* concept, it's a gem

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version