Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Computer time Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JenPre
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 20 2010 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote JenPre

Many of you have gorgeous blogs in addition to posting here on the forums. When do you tend to do your computer time? We have one computer and at night when the baby is down my husband tends to use it as that's the only time during the day he is able.

During the day I find myself "stopping by" certain sites but need to be more focused I guess in order to be able to participate on the forums!

I'm thinking of setting up a schedule for myself like check e-mail & facebook in the early morning; shut down the computer until my morning chores are done; during baby's afternoon nap stop in here etc.

What does your computer time look like during the day?

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2010 at 5:59am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I like the idea of setting up some sort of schedule. For me, the computer is my "go to escape", and that's not good. When things get crazy, or I'm overwhelmed with my to do list, I plunk down in front of my computer. It's not healthy. You can probably tell when I've had a bad day by how many times I post here! (Like currently, my in laws are here - very stressful situation - and instead of making them a nice breakfast I'm here at my computer, hoping they don't wake up anytime soon! )
In my daily schedule, or really "routine", I have computer time posted for the mornings before the kids get up. This is really the best time and I need to learn to shut it off when they start waking up, so I can be there for them. I'm usually too tired in the evenings.
This is a great topic. I often see a pattern for some of the members, noting that they usually post in the evening or morning.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 21 2010 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I'm pregnant.. what that means for me is that I need to sit down periodically during the day.. I'm usually pretty good at only sitting down long enough to recover and then going on with whatever I'm doing.. so I am here off and on all day.. more when I'm having a bad day.

But also that often means.. I may read a post and go off and do something and can often be thinking about it and so when I come back I have a good idea what I want to say and can quickly type it up. (I read this post last night).

I do sit down here to wake up a bit in addition to the other times.

and now I have to run off and get kids ready for swim team

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2010 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Becky Parker wrote:
I like the idea of setting up some sort of schedule. For me, the computer is my "go to escape", and that's not good. When things get crazy, or I'm overwhelmed with my to do list, I plunk down in front of my computer.

JodieLyn wrote:
I am here off and on all day..

DITTO DITTO DITTO

I have absolutely NO controlled computer time. There are times I have literally turned it OFF to avoid the temptation and mine's not even a laptop that I can lug around the house or outside with me. It's a traditional desktop in the schoolroom so when I'm in here and kids are in other parts of the house they're even unsupervised!    Doesn't help but I admit to getting better over the years.   

Not sure that really helps your original question but I think turning it off is about the surest way of eliminating wasteful computer time. Well, that's been the only way for me.

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2010 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

And FYI...I told my son he couldn't go outside b/c I was about to get in the shower and instead I did plop down here to check in and typed my previous post and he asked "When are you getting in the shower?" I said in about 3 minutes and he just told me it's been 3 minutes so off I go!!   

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 21 2010 at 10:19am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh I should say also.. my computer is centrally located so that I can keep an eye on all main parts of the house, and it's easier for me to break away from the computer to answer questions or do something or whatever than just about anything else I could do.

And if I don't get in my breaks then I'm really hurting later in the day and end up doing less anyway.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 21 2010 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I've tried a few different approaches in the past, schedule vs time limit. I'm back to a scheduled approach as it makes me more accountable.

So as you may be after nitty gritty, I've tied my schedule in with the children. I now have teenagers and they also need help learning time management skills. Anyone is welcome to check emails, blogs and 4 real between 6am-7.15am. Then off computer until after lunch where you may check emails, blogs and 4 real again. No other computer games allowed during the week until Friday afternoon. My husband checks in the morning and of an evening. These rules are posted on the door, I can lock said door and will if they (and I) have trouble.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JenPre
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 21 2010 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote JenPre

Thank you for your posts! I'm beginning to think up a schedule to use for the computer....as well as household chores and such as well. I find that like most of you I tend to get on the computer and waste time when I don't "feel like" doing the dishes or cleaning or errands or whatever. Also I tend to jump on when I have "five minutes" and could be saying a decade of the Rosary!

So I think I'm going to come up with a set schedule and shut the computer off when I'm not using it. Although I tend to not be very self-disciplined soooo I'm going to have to try very hard!!

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 21 2010 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Right now, I play the "As soon as I (fill in the blank) then I go on the computer."

As soon as I complete my morning routine (anywhere from 1.5 to 4 hours), I check the Active topics at 4Real, read a few, think about them.

As soon as I finish morning lessons with the boys, I check email.

As soon as I finish the afternoon housework, I post at 4Real or do online shopping.

Some other things that have helped me to be efficient with my computer time:

Have a big clock right by your computer screen. (I ignore the little clock on the screen .)

Have the computer in your main family room with the screen viewable by all.

Take your chair away and raise your desk. Stand while typing.

Use a timer when necessary.

Have posts from your favorite forums go to your email and pick them up on your smart phone for pre-reading anywhere.

Don't use the computer when dh is home.

Carve large times out for bigger computer projects on Saturday or when dh has children.

Consolidate online socializing/sharing. (Currently, you can only find me here.)

Be aware of why you're online. Is it for a break? Make it short. Is it for help or information? Be efficient. Is it for serving others? Be prayerful. Is it to help manage your family or home? Find the best tools/avenues. Is it for building relationships? Be your best, most charitable, self. Is it to engage in an argument or drama? Don't.

Jen, I hope you find just the right fit for you and your family . I make mistakes on the computer, mainly losing track of time, but mostly, I'm very grateful for this tool so, for me, it has been worth finding ways to integrate it into my life. Like you, I'm always eager to find tips to help!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 21 2010 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Oh, I thought of another thing (because I almost did it as soon as I posted above...)

Don't worry about spelling and don't re-read...and re-read...and re-read my own posts! It's amazing what a time-saver this on is for me. (Why DO I want to do that anyway ?)

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2010 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

I tend to go online during the afternoon slump (when most of my children go and hide somewhere )

Our computer is centrally located so that they can find me if they want.

I also use leechblock http://www.proginosko.com/leechblock.html with firefox to control how much time I spend online. After a certain amount of time is spent online or after my bedtime, my net access is curtailed. I can also set up individual time limits for individual websites or sets of websites if I want.

(it helps that our computer is set up so that my husband's account is completely separated from my account so that his internet time doesn't influence my time)
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 21 2010 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Angie Mc wrote:
Right now, I play the "As soon as I (fill in the blank) then I go on the computer."

I have a friend who is so good at this. One day I asked her the secret to her constantly clean home, her answer was she never crafted, got on the computer, read etc until the house was clean.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version