Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Kitchen floors Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JenPre
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 20 2010 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote JenPre

What do you ladies use to clean your kitchen floor? How often do you clean it? Ours is always so gritty and sticky no matter how often I sweep it and "spot" clean it.

Each night I sweep it and vacuum it a few times a week. But no matter it ALWAYS has some sort of crumbs on it that I just can't get up!

I get down on my hands and knees once a week to scrub it. I tried a mop but the first time I used it the silly thing broke and I got mad so figured it's better to just get down there!!

What is your kitchen floor cleaning method?

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2010 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I have tile. I vacuum and mop daily. Once a month I get down on my hands and knees with an old butter knife and dig embedded dirt out of the little holes in the tiles. I will never purchase this kind of tile again.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 20 2010 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Jen if you have a laminate or linoleum type of flooring.. if it's lost the top layer of the finish it can feel constantly sticky and get dirty just looking at it.. clean it really good and put a mop&glo type of wax on it and see if that doesn't make it a whole lot better.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JaysFamily
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 20 2010 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote JaysFamily

I just dip a large cleaning cloth in a homemade cleaning solution and attach that to a large swiffer. I use hot water, vinegar, and a drop of an essential oil. If I've cooked something greasy on the stove top, such as bacon, I use a drop of dish detergent in hot water to break up the grease first, then switch to the vinegar solution. I prefer to walk around barefoot, so I am not very tolerant of sticky floors.

Jaysfamily
wife to Jay
mother to DS(5)
Back to Top View JaysFamily's Profile Search for other posts by JaysFamily

JenPre
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 20 2010 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote JenPre

Paula thankfully I don't have tile! (Although the shower is tile and I HATE IT!! I am constantly scraping out in between the tiles. A man who doesn't clean must have thought of that one!! )

Jodi thank you for the tip! We have lanoleum and while I think it's fairly new (we rent) I'm not sure HOW new.

I too go around barefoot most of the time so I can't stand the stickyness. Plus the baby has started crawling so now I'm even more conscious of the yucky sticky/crumby-ness of the floor!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 20 2010 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

not for where you walk.. but Jen, have you seen the tip for using car wax on the walls of a shower? makes it easier to clean too

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

JenPre
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 20 2010 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote JenPre

JodieLyn wrote:
not for where you walk.. but Jen, have you seen the tip for using car wax on the walls of a shower? makes it easier to clean too

I had never heard that! I'm going to have to try it as I HATE cleaning the shower walls. It seems like every time I clean it, I leave it alone for 5 minutes and it's dirty again!

mathmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2010 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote mathmama

I have linoleum and have been using a steam mop for a while. It seemed to work ok, but this past Saturday I got down on my hands and knees with my trusty spray bottle filled with water and white vinegar...my floor looks and feels great!

Veronica 10/09
Theodora 11/12
Back to Top View mathmama's Profile Search for other posts by mathmama

Lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 20 2010 at 11:07pm | IP Logged Quote Lori

we sweep and/or vacuum daily, and "mop" when needed...by "mop" I mean I have one of the kids soak a medium sized towel in warm water and "skate" around the downstairs with it underfoot.   

Sometimes I will do the "mopping" when I'm looking to burn some extra calories. I SHOULD do it more often!   
Back to Top View Lori's Profile Search for other posts by Lori

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2010 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

JodieLyn wrote:
Jen if you have a laminate or linoleum type of flooring.. clean it really good and put a mop&glo type of wax on it and see if that doesn't make it a whole lot better.

Jodie, do you know if this will work on wood laminate flooring? We have Pergo and while it's been great for many years, it's lost it's shine and does feel sticky, especially if it's humid.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2010 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

We mop our floor either with the skating method or on hands/knees - mops just never do it for me.

I would look into the mop&glo first; then after that, just use a simple cleaning solution as suggested above OR just use dishsoap and water.

I am sometimes found that vinegar was leaving everything sticky or attractive of dirt/dust despite how well I'd rinse - just a coating of lint over everything a few hours later, with everything looking dingy. EWWWW!

So now, we do a cleaner with dishsoap and vinegar, or just dishsoap which is designed to cut into grease anyway. And then use elbow grease as needed! When I have it on hand, I'll use an essential oil as well.

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 21 2010 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Becky I would think it would work. Wood floors used to be waxed all the time. Wax of course has to be renewed but all it's really doing is putting a finish on top of the floor.

One thing on have floors that are waxed.. don't use ammonia or cleaners with ammonia in them... they will strip the wax.

-Sir Walter Scott

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 21 2010 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Well, I must admit to having a biweekly housekeeper. I started teaching piano one day a week, and this was my major investment.

I have tile (no pits, though), and I never had much luck with mops and have used the hands and knees method for years. I will start with a pile of rags so I never put a dirty rag back in the water.

My housekeeper, though, does use a mop, and so every two weeks, she mops my entire house (hardwood). I spot clean the kitchen and dining room in between with a spray bottle and a rag (usually with my foot, lol). I don't know if it is just that I'm not doing the work, but the floors seem clean when *she* uses a mop.

I like using Murphy's Oil Soap on all the floors. So, that is what she uses as well. She used something else (pine-sol? Is there a lemon scent?), but I just couldn't handle the fragrance. I do really like the Murphy's soap on floors.

I didn't mean to make this about me and my housekeeper , but I would have felt guilty writing that *I* mop every two weeks and spot clean in between when I'm not.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version