Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Castle Heights Biology Lab - microscope? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 07 2010 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

We will be using Castle Heights Biology for High School - for those who have used it - do I need to purchase a microscope?

Related question- I have been researching microscopes for a while - I know we should probably have a better quality one (we use one of the smaller personal microscopes) - the main issue has been space as we do not have a dedicated "science space". Any recommendations for a (not too highly priced yet good) microscope?

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

AtHomeScience
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 07 2010 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote AtHomeScience

I have found Bargain Microscopes to be the best deal around. I purchased my scope through them--it's a great scope at a great price.

You can get an excellent 40x to 400x scope for $175 including shipping. You can get a 40x to 1000x scope (has a 4th oil immersion lens) for $245 including shipping.

I have yet find anyone else that comes close to these prices for equal quality scopes.

Science Of Relations
Back to Top View AtHomeScience's Profile Search for other posts by AtHomeScience Visit AtHomeScience's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2010 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Just wanted to update that I have been discussing this with Castle Heights - and yes a microscope is necessary for Experiences in Biology. I am pleased too as my sixth graders need a better microscope too.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2010 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

AtHomeScience wrote:
I have found Bargain Microscopes to be the best deal around. I purchased my scope through them--it's a great scope at a great price.

You can get an excellent 40x to 400x scope for $175 including shipping. You can get a 40x to 1000x scope (has a 4th oil immersion lens) for $245 including shipping.

I have yet find anyone else that comes close to these prices for equal quality scopes.

Kris - my dh and I had been looking at 2 microscopes - I wonder if you could tell me your opinions on them:

1.Sonlight Ultra Microscope

2. Home Science Tools Home Microscope

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2010 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

The Home Science Tools microscope is a good one. We bought ours from them and have been very happy with it.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

AtHomeScience
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2010 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote AtHomeScience

Sonlight gives you the most bells and whistles for the price. IMHO, the iris diaphragm and the mechanical stage are more important options than coaxial focus. You can buy a mechanical stage from HTT for an additional $25. The HTT microscope with the iris diaphragm is $210, and then add on the mechanical stage and shipping you are just over $240. Sonlight gives you all that plus coaxial nobs for $230.

Now the 1000x Bargain Microscopes model has halogen lighting--hot but very bright--plus coaxial nobs, iris diaphragm, mechanical stage, AND the oil immersion lens. Total is $245 with shipping.

Fluorescent light does not dry out your wet mount slides with the heat and it is whiter than tungsten. Tungsten is the cheapest and hardest bulb to replace because there's so many types out there. Halogen is the brightest and whitest and used in professional scopes; it is hotter than fluorescent.

Is it worth the extra $15 for an oil immersion lens and halogen lighting? Yes, it is well worth the money but you can certainly do everything you need to for high school biology without them. One use for oil immersion is looking at blood cells. You get a whole lot more detail at this magnification.

HTH!

Science Of Relations
Back to Top View AtHomeScience's Profile Search for other posts by AtHomeScience Visit AtHomeScience's Homepage

AtHomeScience
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2010 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote AtHomeScience

Actually, you reminded me that I needed to write my 2010 post for buying a microscope. It is a little different this year since prices and features have changed, and I didn't know about the Sonlight Ultra.

You can read the blog post here.

Science Of Relations

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2010 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thanks so much Kris. I enjoyed reading your post.

Just wondering - why is a mechanical stage so helpful?

AtHomeScience
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 13 2010 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote AtHomeScience

A standard stage has two clips to hold the slide. If you want to scan around the slide you either need to pull off the clips, find what you want, and hope you don't bump the slide putting the clips back on, or try to push the slide with the clips on. Try to chase after a swimming organism with those clips on...

With a mechanical stage, you put the slide onto a spring-loaded arm to hold it and then you turn two nobs to smoothly move it back and forth (one nob), up and down (other nob.) Soooo nice to have.

It is like comparing an outhouse to indoor plumbing. It's up to you if you think it is worth the price.

Science Of Relations

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2010 at 6:57am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Kris - you have me convinced

I am excited about finally having a really good microscope - though a bit anxious about how to set it up and use it - I hope it comes with good instructions!!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 14 2010 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

MarilynW wrote:
Kris - you have me convinced

I am excited about finally having a really good microscope - though a bit anxious about how to set it up and use it - I hope it comes with good instructions!!

I'm excited for you, M! A good scope makes a huge difference!

Adventures With a Microscope by Richard Headstrom is a fantastic little book containing 59 Adventures with the Microscope. It could be a stand-alone course all on its own for an elementary Biology. It offers wonderful explanations and has a simple little chapter at the beginning entitled, "Useful Supplies for Your Laboratory Table and Shelf". We love this little book!

A World In a Drop of Water: Exploring With a Microscope by Alvin Silverstein is another fantastic gem!

Usborne's World of the Microsope is a good little reference to have on hand. I actually prefer finding older copies of Usborne books because they're so affordable, so I can't comment on the content of the book I linked. We have the 1989 edition (which is going for 1 cent right now, btw).

Microscopes and Magnifying Lenses by Janice Van Cleave - love her books!

Enchanted Learning has some free printables on the microscope, too!

Hope this gives you a start with your brand new shiny microscope, Marilyn! Have fun!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2010 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thanks so much Jen. I had actually ordered the Adventures with a Microscope and the Usborne book - I figured that I could pull a unit together for my elementary children. I am going to check out the other books at the library - and also Enchanted Learning.

Hijacking my own thread - I just cannot bring myself to use a textbook for Grade 6 - like Biology I have decided to just get my own plan together. I figured some fun physics that they have already been doing with the books mentioned in the other thread, physics workshop, their electronic circuit sets, knex, magnetix etc. A Microscope Unit. And then some fun chemistry using all our various Chemistry sets and maybe Janice Van Cleave. Also nature study.

I figure that although I am not science genius - it is more important for my children to want to discover and explore and create then it is to fill their heads with facts.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2010 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

MarilynW wrote:

I figure that although I am not science genius - it is more important for my children to want to discover and explore and create then it is to fill their heads with facts.

That would be true even if you were a science genius! Your plan sounds great!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

AtHomeScience
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 14 2010 at 2:26pm | IP Logged Quote AtHomeScience

Did you go with the Sonlight Ultra? There's not much at all to it--if you Google "how to use a microscope" and you'll get articles, illustrations, videos, and animations.

If you ever become a hard-core microscope enthusiast pick up The Microscope and How to Use It by Dr. Georg Stehli, published in 1970. It is like Durell's Amateur Naturalist for home microscopy!

BTW, the Usborne Complete Book of the Microscope (Internet Linked) has stunning photography but is of little use for home microscopy.

Science Of Relations

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version