Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: purging toys Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Syncletica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 05 2010 at 6:13pm | IP Logged Quote Syncletica

After more than 7 hours of my children being 'busy' tidying up their toys and doing laundry, my house is still a disaster. This is because there's been too much playing. I have not been able to keep up on it today due to other things I had to get done. Toys must go since it's apparently so very difficult to put them in order. But, I don't know how to do it. Can anyone give me some ideas of how to purge? I don't really want to do the 6 month rotation thing, everything is so cluttered already, I have nowhere to put anything else. So, how can one get rid of the majority of toys while not getting rid of everything? What should be kept?
TIA!
Back to Top View Syncletica's Profile Search for other posts by Syncletica Visit Syncletica's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 05 2010 at 6:46pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

keep things that the kids ALWAYS play with.. keep things that are open ended (legos or blocks is a classic example of these)..

Here the things that stay almost always are duplos, Little People, hot wheels and dress up clothes.

A bit thing is usually to reduce the sheer numbers of stuffed animals.. everyone always loves all 18 or 20 that they EACH have.. but really.. they only actually play with a few

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2010 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote Mary K

I think there may have been threads with the theme of toy organization that might give you some ideas. I know the feeling of being overrun by toys, how many sorts of shape sorters, busy boxes and baby dolls does 1 child need?!
God bless,
Mary-NY
Back to Top View Mary K's Profile Search for other posts by Mary K

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2010 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

If I may offer a plug for Mackfam's blog, check out her site about organization here:

http://wildflowersandmarbles.blogspot.com/search/label/Organ ization

If you scroll about half-way down, you'll see her blog post about TOYS!!! dated February 2010.

Happy purging...

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 06 2010 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

I would suggest that you *observe* for a couple of days and see which toys they really play with. Temporarily put away the other toys and see which ones they ask for. I think that will let you know which are worth keeping, or at least what you should keep out now. Then you can rotate in certain things from time to time, as interests or age appropriateness change. Also, I'm thinking there may be some toys that aren't played with at all right now because the children are playing more outside, possibly going to the pool, etc. When the weather turns to fall and winter it may be a good time to pull out some of those.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 13 2010 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

You might start by separating the toys into groups...for instance fake food, Barbies, Little People/figurines, stuffed animals, baby dolls/clothes, etc. Use boxes or even small garbage bags. Throw out broken things as you go.

Then maybe you can pare down from each group. Have each kid pick one Barbie, one stuffed animal, one baby doll, etc. and get rid of the rest. Keep toys that everyone gets use of like fake food or building blocks. Throw out little junky toys (like Happy Meal things) or things that just generally annoy you, or things you KNOW they rarely ever play with.

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

VanessaVH
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 14 2010 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote VanessaVH

Thanks for the timely hints! I just sat down at the computer for a little coffee break after cleaning and purging the basement toy room. Now on to the Family/school room.....

My favs to keep (3 boys ages 18 mos to 5) are Duplo Legos, Little people and wooden (thomas type) trains. After that dress up (think fireman and construction workers, complete with tools...) hot wheels and wooden puzzles/stacking sorting toys.

In the getting rid of pile for today: Various plastic toys with too many pieces, ie sorter, Mr Potato head, happy meal toys. and a play tool bench that nobody has touched in ages.
Back to Top View VanessaVH's Profile Search for other posts by VanessaVH

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 14 2010 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Ooooh, Vanessa. My kids, from 11 on down, still love Mr. Potato Head. We have several. They love putting the arm in the nose hole and crazy things like that (think Picasso). You might want to save that one to pull out later on ... Just a thought.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version