Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Drawing With Children Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 05 2010 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm reading through Drawing With Children by Mona Brookes (one of the many books I'm reading right now!) and have found it so helpful.

I was pondering on how to make the connections with our nature journaling (which is woefully inadequate), and found that Harmony Art Mom has compiled some lessons with just this in mind!

Her lessons (see also sidebar)

Squidoo: Drawing With Children: Nature Journal Style also by her.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 05 2010 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I really like Drawing With Children!! As long as it's not "done too young." Even though the examples in the books are drawn by young ones too....(ages 5-6)...I couldn't imagine "teaching a child how to draw" at that age, unless they were begging for it. Barb started her boys when they were 7 & 9.

I LOVE all of Barb's posts on that squidoo page, Jenn!!! They are so GREAT! I have them printed off and REALLY want to use them....maybe next spring when I'm not pregnant and dd#3 is a bit older!

I used these plans last summer with my 8.5 and 7 yo (who's very artistic) and they got a lot out of it! I wanted to do it again this summer, but I think my 6.5 yo isn't ready and the girls are getting watercolor lessons from a neighbor.   

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 05 2010 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, that link of lessons is fabulous, Suzanne, thanks.

Yes, I agree a bit on age level, but I do appreciate her advice on how we talk and encourage the children on art.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

amy_payson
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 09 2010 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote amy_payson

I am also reading through Mona's book right now. I find it interesting and it seems to make sense and it makes me eager to try it (as if I need one more project on my plate!)...BUT...I also find it goes against some of my natural inclinations as far as art goes.

I have never been a huge fan of draw the basic shapes and turn it into the desired object. Hated those books as kids, although her approach seems a bit different. I loved drawing as a kid and still do as an adult (WHEN I can ever find the time for it) but don't know how I feel about structured art classes. We do picture study and/or composer/artist study occasionally (usually corresponding with history) and I let the kids illustrate when too young to do narrations or to make their own picture flashcards when trying to memorize something (usually a language). My creative children love this approach and draw every chance they get. My more logic oriented, perfectionist boy tends to not go there. I think Mona's approach would actually help him but I'm afraid it may hinder my creative child.

When I was in public school I did love art class but I came to hate it by 6th grade and never went on because we were "told" what to draw/make. (The unschooler in me?) I took it up again in college and love it.

I know that Mona's books are often found in Charlotte Mason circles (our main method when doing formal work). Does anyone else in this group love or hate this Monart technique? Do you feel it goes well with the CM approach or inhibits it? Curious as to what others think. Thank you for any feedback!

Amy Payson
simply necessary
Back to Top View amy_payson's Profile Search for other posts by amy_payson

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2010 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Amy I think you pose an excellent question!
Do we structure art lessons at the possible cost of killing creativity?
Or do we simply let them go with their natural creative impulses without offering them the tools that might help them express themselves more clearly?
Really what I strive for is balance.
I have one daughter who I think, of all of my children, is the most creative, artistically speaking. I have found with her that the thing is to offer her regular, very simple art instruction (perhaps introducing a new medium or technique, etc), and then the rest of the time back off and let her create.
What this does is allow her plenty of scope for her creative impulses, but also offers her a larger *kit* of tools and techniques that she can then use (or not) at her own discretion when she creates her own works.
I do find that she uses some, but not others. I also find that when she does use a technique or material we've learned together, it is because she *needed* that particular thing to properly express what she was working toward in her individual work. This gives me some validation for what we are doing.
So as far as the Monart, I cannot specifically address that issue because I have not used it. But as far as the balance between lessons/creative freedom, I think it applies to any art curriculum.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

amy_payson
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 09 2010 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote amy_payson

I think I may have answered my own question. Thanks to your above links....this one especially:
Art as Copywork

I see now exactly how it would correspond to a CM approach. I would still love to hear other's ideas on how this has been incorporated in your own lives.

Amy Payson
simply necessary
Back to Top View amy_payson's Profile Search for other posts by amy_payson

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 09 2010 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I think there are 2 things to consider.

Balance
Readiness and Interest

Last summer when we did the "lessons," I was super vigilent about creating lots of time for open-ended art projects and just plain-ol' mess-making! Fun with colors, fingerpaint, big paper, lots of mediums. One of the reasons i do these things in the summer is so that we CAN be outside making messes and it doesn't drive me batty.

I also showed my girls the book and gave them an idea of what these lessons were and asked them if they wanted to do them. They screamed YES! So, I knew we were ok.

If "lessons" give a certain type of child a confidence that they wouldn't have otherwise, then it's GREAT!

But, if it makes them feel like they have to have everything PERFECT and not be creative, then....no...I wouldn't do it. Dd#3 falls into this category, which is why I am not doing ANY sort of "drawing lessons" this summer with her or them. But, they are learning how to use their watercolors from a neighbor. Which, for her....is different from drawing lessons.

Part of it is ability, part of it is temperament and just who she is...in which case, she'll be better able to cope when she's older....because, of course, I won't stop "lessons" just for her....but it would be a different focus, and she'd be older.

I also think that simply by homeschooling and encouraging art-in-the-home by having the mediums and space THERE.....the creativity-encouragement is just there. Then.....watch, observe, ask....see if they want further information or a technique.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 09 2010 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

amy_payson wrote:
I think I may have answered my own question. Thanks to your above links....this one especially:
Art as Copywork

And, I just clicked over on this and I remember reading that post last year, and LOVED IT! It makes perfect sense, doesn't it? But, I'd never thought of it like that!

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 11 2011 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Bumping this up-

I'm about to start using Drawing With Children with my dc. My ds is 8, and he told me he wants to learn how to make his drawings look more real.

I've read through this thread and have printed out the lesson plans ( a HUGE help- otherwise the book felt overwhelming to me).

Does anyone have any other thoughts as I get ready for this adventure?
Helpful hints? Suggestions?

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version