Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Seasonal/ CSA Recipes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 29 2010 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

We've been getting our CSA share for a few weeks now, and I do love how it challenges us to eat lots of vegetables that we don't necessarily dislike but probably wouldn't think to pick up at the store.

So, while I love it, it IS a challenge at times to prepare meals around them to eat them all fresh! I have tried some unusual (for us) recipes, and I thought I'd share. I hope others will chime in with some of their favorite veggie recipes!

I recently found this recipe which was surprisingly yummy. I modified it a bit and made an enchilada casserole by doubling it and layering the ingredients rather than making individual wraps:

Chard Enchiladas

Quote:
CHARD ENCHILADAS
2 tbsp.
2 cloves
4 cups
1 tbsp.
1 tbsp.
1/2 cup
1/2 cup
1/2 cup      canola oil
garlic, peeled and chopped
onion, peeled and chopped
chard, coarsely chopped*
butter
flour
milk
cheddar cheese, grated
corn tortillas
hot salsa

Preheat oven to 375 F. Heat oil; saute garlic and onion until golden. Add chard (in small amounts) until it is cooked down. Make a bechamel sauce: melt butter, stir in flour, add milk and cheese. Stir until thick, then mix into cooked greens. Fill center of each tortilla, roll up, place in lightly oiled baking dish. Spread salsa over all; bake in hot oven for 25 minutes.

Recipe developed by Ellen Ogden. In "The Cook's Garden" catalog. Vol. 8, No. 1. Spring/Summer 1991. Pg. 7.

And these Crispy Kale Chips. I can't think of another way that my 22 month old would devour a half plate of kale. It still has a bit of a bite like kale, but if texture is your child's aversion, I'd try them. We liked them!

Quote:
The biggest secret to getting the kale super-crisp is to dry them in a salad spinner. If there is moisture on the leaves, the kale will steam, not crisp. Also, do not salt the kale until after they have come out of the oven. If you salt beforehand, the salt will just cause the kale to release moisture…thus steaming instead of crisping. I’ve also found that the convection setting on my oven works really well too – I set the convection on 325F and bake for about 10-15 minutes. Have fun with this recipe, I sometimes mix the salt with Cajun or Creole seasoning.

4 giant handfuls of kale, torn into bite-sized pieces and tough stems removed (about 1/3 pound)
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
sea salt or kosher salt

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. Place the kale leaves into a salad spinner and spin all of the water out of the kale. Dump the water and repeat one or two times more just to make sure that the kale is extra dizzy and dry. Use a towel to blot any extra water on the leaves. Place the kale on the baking sheet.

3. Drizzle olive oil over the kale leaves and use your hands to toss and coat the leaves. Bake in the oven for 12-20 minutes until leaves are crisp. Take a peek at the 12 minute mark – the timing all depends on how much olive oil you use. Just use a spatula or tongs to touch the leaves, if they are paper-thin crackly, the kale is done. If the leaves are still a bit soft, leave them in for another 2 minutes. Do not let the leaves turn brown (they’ll be burnt and bitter) Remove from oven, sprinkle with salt and serve.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 29 2010 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

How do they decide what to grow for those places? I mean it seems like everyone I know who's used them gets "weird" items to use.. of course they may not be weird for some people.. I just was wondering how they decide.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 29 2010 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I don't think its weird, its just seasonal. I might buy kale every once in a while, but I'm not going to buy 2 bunches of it every week for a month. Same with Collard greens or chard. Dark greens are something that you can plant early and will be ready in abundance early in the summer, but it doesn't do well in the heat, so we'll stop getting it, probably week after next. We've had salad almost every day for a meal with all the lettuce, and there is a lot of fresh spinach, too. There aren't that many vegetables to choose from that are ready in the early summer.

I'm sure we'll get "normal" things like summer squash and tomatoes and carrots, but they aren't ready yet locally. And still, I would probably want some creative uses since we're getting so much of it on a weekly basis, the same ole uses get a little dull. Its not like picking up one from the grocery store for a designated purpose, yk?

But, we've actually really enjoyed it. It isn't that we don't like getting those particular vegetables, is just that we aren't used to them. But they are really healthy foods. Take beets. We really LIKE beets, we just never think to buy them. But now we have them and have to use them. It is fun, in a way.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 29 2010 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Like I said.. I just wonder how they decide what to grow.

of course here we don't have early crops and late crops and ones for high heat etc. We sorta have one season and hope what we want will grow fast enough

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 29 2010 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I imagine that people growing early/late crops in climates like yours would use cold frames early in the season. People here can grow things like spinach all year round in a cold frame in all but the coldest of winters.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 29 2010 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

you'd have to use a green house or hot frames.. still gets too cold at night for cold frames.

-Sir Walter Scott

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2010 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

Ooooo, I'm going to enjoy this thread! Our CSA farm owner provides us all with a weekly newsletter of what we'll be getting for the week, happenings or events on the farm, AND she provides a recipe for EVERYTHING you'll be getting in your share !

I have no shortage of kale and chard in my refrigerator right now; I'll be trying your recipes Lindsay and sharing a few of what I learn of as well.

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2010 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

Since I've just finished eating my lunch, I've got kale and chard on my mind (and now in my belly), so I thought I'd share my standard lunch during this time of year. As I mentioned, our farm owner (Terry) always provides share owners with recipes of all the delightful things you'll be taking home each week and over the years of being a member, I've taken her typical braised-greens meal and adapted it to my own taste:

Grab a heaping handful of your favorite greens (kale, spinach, chard, mustard, arugula, or even bok choy - whatever suits you).

Give it a rough chop (since they all braise down to practically nothing).

Heat up your saute pan and throw in a pad of butter (or two ), let it melt, then add some minced garlic. Let the garlic brown for about two minutes.

Throw in the greens, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Braise for a few minutes.

Throw in some chopped tomatoes and your favorite cheese (I tried smoked gouda yesterday - WOW, this added such a good flavor, it was amazing! I used sharp cheddar today because my girls polished off all my gouda , and it was still delicious).

If you want to add other cheeses that don't take heat too well, you can add feta (I happen to love melted feta, but my husband says it makes things stink to holy heck), and mizithra is EXCELLENT on top once you taken your greens off the heat.

I try to get creative with my standard greens-meal and add garlic-greens, even beets or radishes. To give my meal some protein I also add any left over steak or BBQ chicken from last night's dinner, and if we don't have left overs I often just scramble a egg separately then add to the greens once they're off the heat and on my plate.

Things like kolrabi or broccoli rabe can be sauteed, but they actually do really well in a coleslaw salad with cabbage.

When we get fava beans I always like to make a fava-bean dip that has a similar consistency to humus, and then broil/brown some crostini bread and use the fava-bean dip as spread (my kids love this). I'll dig up that recipe and post it.

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version