Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: PICA?? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mama2many
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 22 2010 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote mama2many

Someone said that eating ice during pregnancy is a sign of pica, is this true?? I've never done the ice thing before, but the last few weeks/months I've NEEDED water, over ice, in a GLASS.
And I'm nauseated again, and insomnia has struck!! I haven't had these before.. all very new, and I'm nervous..I'm rambling here..but I have OB app't tomorrow and I don't know if I should bring this up.
I feel weak when I stand for a long time, I wake up in the middle of the night, I'm ALWAYS hungry, and I'm REALLY congested!!
Are these normal?

M (12/00)
J (12/01)
K (6/06)
J (7/08)
A (7/10)
C (11/12)
My Clones in Action

Back to Top View mama2many's Profile Search for other posts by mama2many Visit mama2many's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2010 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I don't know about the nausea and insomnia, but I do know that eating ice was definitely a symptom I had with my last pregnancy and I had anemia. I also had the weakness and I was also out of breath which doesn't always happen with anemia but the weakness is a good sign.
My doctor put me on an iron supplement and it went away within a week. She didn't go by my symptoms though, she ordered a blood test which your dr. might do as well.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2010 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

I am a major ice eater when pregnant. Sometimes it's related to anemia sometimes not. It's weird but I truly CRAVE ice when pregnant and I can chew it without any teeth pain, though I will eat so much it tears up the inside of my mouth. But AFTER pregnancy it's a total switch and chewing ice hurts my teeth (but I still do it when it's hot like it is now).   My doctors have always called it pica but supplementing with iron never made it go away even though it did help the anemia.

Now that I think about it more, if you are NEEDING water, over ice, in a glass and you are always hungry have your blood sugar tested because those symptoms can be a manifestation of diabetes too. And DO bring it up to your OB tomorrow!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

mama2many
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 23 2010 at 5:51am | IP Logged Quote mama2many

MicheleQ wrote:
I am a major ice eater when pregnant. Sometimes it's related to anemia sometimes not. It's weird but I truly CRAVE ice when pregnant and I can chew it without any teeth pain, though I will eat so much it tears up the inside of my mouth. But AFTER pregnancy it's a total switch and chewing ice hurts my teeth (but I still do it when it's hot like it is now).   My doctors have always called it pica but supplementing with iron never made it go away even though it did help the anemia.

Now that I think about it more, if you are NEEDING water, over ice, in a glass and you are always hungry have your blood sugar tested because those symptoms can be a manifestation of diabetes too. And DO bring it up to your OB tomorrow!

My GTT was OUTSTANDING, so I'm not worried about the diabetes anymore. But I failed to mention that I did have the lap band surgery, and finding things I want to eat and that I CAN eat (doesn't get stuck in the band) is quite hard. So I don't know that I'm eating enough food. I even had a hard time with peach yesterday!!

I am going to the OB this morning, I will let y'all know how it went!!

M (12/00)
J (12/01)
K (6/06)
J (7/08)
A (7/10)
C (11/12)
My Clones in Action

Back to Top View mama2many's Profile Search for other posts by mama2many Visit mama2many's Homepage

mama2many
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 23 2010 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote mama2many

ok my appointment went SO WELL!!! I LOVE my OB, he's a wonderful Catholic OB with a pro-life practice!
Anyway, I told him all that I was going through and he said that it's normal to get tired and such with 4 littles, my blood work and bp have been pristine this pg, and that is so new to me!!
Anyway, he usually doesn't start weekly until 37 weeks, but b/c of my history w/ BP issues late in pg, he wants me start weekly visits now.. but my bp was outstanding today (132/70, even with all 4 kids fighting in the van on the way!! LOL)

M (12/00)
J (12/01)
K (6/06)
J (7/08)
A (7/10)
C (11/12)
My Clones in Action

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 23 2010 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Well, there's tired because you're keeping up with 4 littles and there's tired when you wake up that way and it's hard to keep up with 4 littles.. and there is a difference.

And I know many women have had a hard time being treated simply because they have more than 2 children.. because of that very answer.. "well of course you'll be tired with all those kids"

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

mama2many
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 23 2010 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote mama2many

I would think it was being ignored more if we were in military care again.. but honestly I just feel winded.. not so much unhealthy, kwim? I think it has a LOT to do with the congestion/person on my lungs combo more than iron.

I was Vt D deficient earlier, but that seems to have cleared up as well. I even slept most of last night!!

I do wake up a little tired, but that could be congestion/insomnia too (I'm snoring like crazy, always do when pg)
But one cuppa coffee seems to help for a bit until all 4 need different things at the same time!

M (12/00)
J (12/01)
K (6/06)
J (7/08)
A (7/10)
C (11/12)
My Clones in Action

Pilgrim
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 23 2010 at 3:53pm | IP Logged Quote Pilgrim

I am feeling worn out this time too, especially in my muscles, particularly my legs, just as you described it. I don't feel like it's low iron, I had that last time, and this feels different. I just feel kinda worn out. I'm also having a lot of congestion. I told dh I kinda feel like I have a constant flu, with the muscles and congestion. I take lots of vitamins and supplements, they've checked my iron, I eat pretty healthy, I think it's just getting older, and successive pregnancies. But maybe not? Oh, and I'm having a lot of nausea, I have my good days and bad days with it, but I haven't been throwing up thankfully, just naseous most of the day. And I've had off and on insomnia, too. Some days I'll get to bed late, and then wake up at 5 and can't get back to sleep, and other days I'll sleep great through the night.

All this to say you are not alone in the stuff you're going though!

St. Clare Heirloom Seeds coupon 4Real 20% off

St. Clare Audio
Back to Top View Pilgrim's Profile Search for other posts by Pilgrim Visit Pilgrim's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version