Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Feeling a little battered.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
adnilpress
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 19 2010 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote adnilpress

HI all. I'm feeling a little 'battered' right now - it started on another message board, where a lady asked if Catholics were Christians, and it developed into a nasty thread, with quite an attack on the Catholic faith. I had my 'say', and was dragged right into the same old arguments. I 'think' I handled it fine, although I did get a little angry with one lady who told my that I was 'pigheaded and stubborn', and that I needed to study and seek the Lord before it was too late.   

Oh, I tried to say I didn't have all the answers, but as a convert, I actually 'have' studied. I tried to point these lades towards books - Rome Sweet Home, Born Fundamentalist, etc., but, neither of them have taken me up on my offer to borrow them. Although, interestingly, others have - people who weren't actually involved in the discussion, so that is interesting!

Anyway, add to that, we've just had an entire week where my 17 year old's boyfriend has stayed with us. He's so lovely, a non-Catholic, but still, the most respectful, lovely lad I'm met in a long, long time. But it was the first time we've ever had a 'boyfriend' in the house, so just because of that, I found it a little stressful, not knowing how much time to give them to be 'alone', and how much to watch over them. I felt really lost and like I suddenly had no idea how to be a mother - everthing keeps changing as they grow up! They were so well behaved, I have to say I was very proud of them both.

Add to that I have a fair bit of physical pain at the moment, and well, I just feel like I'm struggling. A couple of ladies wish to ask me a few more questions about the Catholic faith via private messaging, since the whole thread got out of hand, so I need to choose words carefully - I'm honoured to be asked - but it takes it out of you!

I'm afraid I had a few tears this morning, kind-of like 'I've been hit by a truck' feeling, where all you want to do is go back to bed and stay there. Just feeling a little lost, is all, and so glad that there's a board I can come to and unload a little without being slammed for my faith.

I'm done now, thankyou for reading; God bless,

Linda.

Homeschooling over 13 years.
Wife to Bill, Mother of 8, aged 8 to 18.
Back to Top View adnilpress's Profile Search for other posts by adnilpress Visit adnilpress's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 19 2010 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Hi Linda,

I can empathize - sometimes, even when I feel called to share my faith with others, it can be a draining experience. The nice thing about doing this online is that you do have control over the flow of information. You don't have to answer every email instantly - and I've found that, for me, taking time to step away and lay my concerns and thoughts about appropriate answering emails at the feet of Our Lord really helps.

I think it's great that some of the ladies on your forum have asked about the books you mentioned - excellent books! - and I hope they choose to read them and do so with open minds.

I spend a LOT of time online (I have some Web writing contracts) and the tendency on mesage boards and comment boxes is definitely to shoot from the hip, counting on the protection of the Online Cloak of Anonymity. This makes things very uncomfortable for many of us...flamers can get very mean, regardless of topic. That's another good reason to limit your exposure to people who say hurtful things online. (Consider it the cyber-equivalent of getting up and leaving the room, always the most dignified way of making a protest!)

I can see that you have a lot on your plate right now. I'm praying for you...

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2010 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Oh, I have been in a very similar place and it HURTS.
big cyber hugs to you!
May God bless you richly for defending His church to the best of your abilities.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 19 2010 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Aw, hugs from here, too. Praying for you...

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2010 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote Nique

You are doing wonderfully Linda! So much GOOD! No wonder you are tired! You've been a soldier for Christ on those boards!

When you wrote, "I'm honoured to be asked - but it takes it out of you!" - ABSOLUTELY! The devil is working behind the scenes, I'm sure of it!

But always remember, with God on your side, you are always winning!

I am going to pray to the Holy Spirit, for His intercession, to help you find the right words (and you've done beautifully so far!) as well as offer up my Mass for you tomorrow!

Hang in there - you are making Jesus SO PROUD!

Back to Top View Nique's Profile Search for other posts by Nique

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 21 2010 at 2:47am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Linda

Praying for you.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

leanne maree
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2010 at 4:54am | IP Logged Quote leanne maree

Hi Linda,

I just wanted to say, I was so proud of you, the way you handled yourself , with that thread, and Isn't it nice to come to a lovely place like this for nuturing.
Hugs and blessings, and prayers your way

Leanne

http://leannemaree.blogspot.com/
Back to Top View leanne maree's Profile Search for other posts by leanne maree Visit leanne maree's Homepage

Belle
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 21 2010 at 5:40am | IP Logged Quote Belle

Linda, I just wanted to say you held your own beautifully. When the tone went from bad to worse you managed to remain far more gracious than those to whom you were responding deserved.

Thank you for the words you spoke. Some of us really appreciated them.
Back to Top View Belle's Profile Search for other posts by Belle

leanne maree
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2010 at 6:03am | IP Logged Quote leanne maree

Good to see you here Belle,
leannr

Back to Top View leanne maree's Profile Search for other posts by leanne maree Visit leanne maree's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2010 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2010 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote LisaD

Linda,

It is in no small part due to people like you who take the time to answer questions and defend the Faith online, that I was converted 12 years ago.

God bless you. I will say a prayer for strength and grace for you!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 21 2010 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Linda - that can be a very hard thing to do.

I've noticed online that you often get a phenomena where many people will post challenges that only take a sentence to write but take many paragraphs to answer.. and they'll pile up one on top of the other..

what about THIS

yeah and then there's that too

what they said.. how can you explain this other thing..

and that's all posted before you can even formulate an answer to the first one.

It's a sorta ganging up or bullying that often will happen.

I found myself in an online community that is not Catholic.. but lovely ladies.. and I found I had to make my own boundaries for these type of discussions. I would speak up and say.. hey.. slow down/back off or I simply won't participate.. if you have questions I'm happy to answer but I'm not going to get caught in these out of control conversations. And there have been conversations that I simply don't even join.. but others I've been able to explain quite nicely. And by speaking up and saying that I'm willing to answer questions.. I've also gotten quite a few by PM there as well.

But I know I get horribly stressed with those verbal attacks and my "forte" isn't in appologetics (arguing with others) but rather in teaching (explaining/answering questions).. and being verbally attacked imo has no place in "teaching" so I won't go there.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 21 2010 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Linda

After you posted I caught up on reading at the board, I'll admit to not sleeping well last night. There is no way that discussion should have happened, the original poster was inflammatory from the start, I'm 'intrigued' as to the guidelines that allowed such a conversation. You were very gracious indeed to enter such a conversation and do it so well. It was lovely to see a supporting team there too
I didn't realise you were Australian Belle great to see you here.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Belle
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 21 2010 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote Belle

Thanks for directing me this way Leanne, and that thank you Erin.

I agree the original poster was inflammatory and she continues to be, hence my resolve to no longer enter into any thread she starts as all seem to be started to make trouble. Had it been a face to face encounter I am shame faced to admit I probably would've ended up snotting her one. Which is why I admire Linda's restraint so much. (I had to bow out in order to not type out loud what I was really thinking!)

Thing is that thread could have been amicable if some of the posters had been able to check their prejudices at the door....

It's lovely to be somewhere that doesn't leave a nasty after taste in ones mouth (or should that be eyes? )

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2010 at 3:30am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I'm so sorry to hear what you have all been through, particularly for you Linda, I can't think of anyone who is so fair to all with love, online.

It's sad to read this coming from the opposing ladies, surely that ugliness is as unattractive to the hearts of others reading as well? I'm sure it is. What example is it exactly? Certainly not the biblical words, "See how those Christians love one another."

And boy what a WAY to start a thread!    

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2010 at 3:33am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Just adding that God willing some great good and grace will come from that suffering and ill treatment..to think others have asked for the books..

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 22 2010 at 6:23am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

May God bless yo for defending our faith!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

leanne maree
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2010 at 6:34am | IP Logged Quote leanne maree

I am praying that there will be grace and learning from this situation and online ugliness. ( At the other site)
But part of that has already happened, Belle and Linda are here now and they can be surrounded by the beautiful women here at this site.

Re the other ladies- I am just resolving myself to pray for them. It has not gone unnoticed by the moderators. I got quiye a lengthy pm, apologising for the tone of the thread.( I tried to have it closed earlier),

So lets rejoice in Gods' goodness and love today.
leanne

adnilpress
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 22 2010 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote adnilpress

Hello ladies.   

Certainly, some good has come from that thread - I know it could seem like the original poster was stirring, but I don't actually think she was - she had heard somewhere that Catholics weren't Christians, so, decided to ask about that. She herself was quite hurt and upset, and I think realised she doesn't always word things correctly, either - so with that, and others on the attack, it did get rather nasty (and the next thread did as well).

But, the pm's keep on coming! I'm speaking to a few via pm now, including the original poster, so that'll keep me on my toes for a little while.

Just for those who are wondering - it's our Australian forum where this has happened - it's usually a lovely place, but one lady has a heap of questions about various doctrines; this particular one entitled, 'Catholics? Christians?', really took on a life of its own, as I guess you've figured by now.

Thankyou so much, God bless,

Homeschooling over 13 years.
Wife to Bill, Mother of 8, aged 8 to 18.
Back to Top View adnilpress's Profile Search for other posts by adnilpress Visit adnilpress's Homepage

Belle
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 22 2010 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote Belle

adnilpress wrote:
I know it could seem like the original poster was stirring, but I don't actually think she was - she had heard somewhere that Catholics weren't Christians, so, decided to ask about that. She herself was quite hurt and upset, and I think realised she doesn't always word things correctly, either - so with that, and others on the attack, it did get rather nasty (and the next thread did as well).

Thankyou so much, God bless,

So it's more a lack of tact and diplomacy....well, we're all guilty of that from time to time.

That thread has taught me it's better to sit on my hands than indulge certain topics of conversation.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version