Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Sailing the Wine-Dark Sea Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 17 2010 at 12:11am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Sailing the Wine-Dark Sea: Why the Greeks Matter
I am probably way behind the times here, but I just picked up this book to review as a possible living book supplement to ds's Greek and Roman history studies next year. I've only read a couple of chapters, but so far it seems good. I will read the whole thing before I assign it, but I thought I'd ask now if any of you have experience with this book, and if so, what are your thoughts on it?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 17 2010 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Ooo and Ahhh! Another Thomas Cahill book! That looks really good, just for ME reading! Haven't seen it, Theresa, but I'm behind the times, too. I thought he only wrote How the Irish Saved Civilization. I see he has MUCH more.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2010 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

We are coming to the end of the Greek year- have to tack this one on later! My ds is reading how the Irish Saved Civilization and really enjoying that!

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2010 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Ok, so that sounds like 2 thumbs up for Cahill to me.
Anyone else wanna weigh in?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2010 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Just wanted to note that there is some *adult* content in this book, which makes it unsuitable for children. It is actually appropriate, given the culture in question, but it is an aspect of Greek culture I am not sure I want to present to my son just yet.
fyi, just in case anyone was thinking of using it for their kid.

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2010 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Theresa I had just had to add a slightly off topic comment that I loved your last blog entry about this book and Dr. Seuss...very amusing! Quite the coinkydink (that's what we call those amusing ones around here! )

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 21 2010 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I've read it, but quite a long time ago.

Cahill has written several books for his "Hinges of History" series, of which this is one. His idea is that there are turning points in history (not insta-moments, but shifts in how civilization is developing in a particular time and place) that have profound influence on everything that follows.

I can't recall the details of the book (I read a lot of history books) but, yes, some of the ancient Greeks' attitudes toward certain behaviors are not child-appropriate. For sure.

Perhaps you could assign certain chapters, or read a couple of chapters aloud?

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2010 at 7:29pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

guitarnan wrote:

Perhaps you could assign certain chapters, or read a couple of chapters aloud?

I think I will do a few chapters as a read-aloud. I'm not too keen on him running into some of the pics of naughty Grecian pottery, if you know what I mean.
Actually I think I will start a new topic on how we deal with the fact of wildly *divergent* behaviors of primitive cultures in discussions with our high school students.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version