Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Growing families... and expanding recipes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mama2many
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 11 2010 at 6:01am | IP Logged Quote mama2many

OK, I'm new to this whole "BIG FAMILY" thing (and we're still not there by many standards..) I am an only child, dh, only child, and we're expecting #5!!!! WHole new dynamic! LOL

Anyway, how do I make our family standard recipes BIGGER, without making the grocery bill BIGGER!! LOL

a few "back notes".. we don't eat white rice, kids don't "do" beans, mostly we eat chicken, and b/c I had surgery (lap band) I can only eat thin cut boneless skinless chicken breasts!! It's a weird family set up we have.. we do eat brown rice and quinoa
Oh, and no mushrooms! LOL

M (12/00)
J (12/01)
K (6/06)
J (7/08)
A (7/10)
C (11/12)
My Clones in Action

Back to Top View mama2many's Profile Search for other posts by mama2many Visit mama2many's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2010 at 6:22am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

We eat a lot of chicken, and I know it goes farther if I cook it in advance and use chopped up chicken in recipes versus everyone getting a leg or wing or thigh.

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 11 2010 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I'm currently reading Miserly Moms
and while the author doesn't have a big family, she address making meals go farther and saving money. I'm finding it helpful.

I've also found that what Paula says in true.
We eat alot of meat that way. Instead of a roast (which we do eat on occasion) it's alot cheaper to cut up the meat, put it in a gravy or sauce and eat it over rice.

I also wanted to say it's tedious, but you can save some money by buying chicken breasts with the skin on and just pulling it off yourself. When I was growing up my mon was on a strict diet and one of my jobs was to de-skin the chicken before we cooked it. I really hated that job, but I got used to it and now it's really no big deal.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 11 2010 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

More veg, same amount of meat. Make soups instead of stir-fries or serving it plain to stretch the same ingredients. Serve homemade bread with every meal, it's a good filler...even if you can't eat it, maybe the kids can?

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 11 2010 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

cutting meat into smaller pieces.. like in a stir fry.. instead of 1 inch chunks.. dice it up smaller and the meat will spread through out more.. get meat in every bite still but use less.

seasonings!! can't say enough about them.. they add good flavor without costing a huge amount.. and can help the foods to still taste rich without needing lots of meats and such. I can make spaghetti sauce meatless but add a bit of beef bullion to still get that rich beef flavor in it. Or I'll make a sausage gravy going light on the meat but adding the seasonings generally used in breakfast sausage and the gravy still tastes rich even with half the meat you'd otherwise use.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 11 2010 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

Jodie, my family is so funny. I used to cut up two chicken breasts typically to make a stir fry, a soup, a casserole, whatever. I'd cut it into small pieces thinking it would stretch further. Someone always complained they didn't get enough meat. So I got lazy one day and cut the same amount of meat into bigger slices. Everyone talked about how filling the meal was! Even though each person only got about two or three strips of meat (maybe 2 or 3 oz total) it just seemed like a bigger amount to them because they could SEE it.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 11 2010 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

LeeAnn, I could see that.. I do it differently for different things.. meat that is mixed in anyway seems to work better with smaller pieces.. if I want to do fried chicken.. I'll cut the chicken bl/sl chicken bre@sts into 3 or so pieces.. most everyone still eats about the same amount but they think they've gotten a lot more because there were more pieces

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version