Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: family size pans Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mooreboyz
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 07 2010 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote mooreboyz

As my boys get older (and eating more...imagine that)I am seeing a real need for larger pans so I can make adequate amounts so everyone can eat and maybe have some leftovers. Does anyone have some advice of where I can get good quality family size pots and pans that stand up over time? I'm looking for something to invest in that will last through all the kiddos.

Thanks!

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 07 2010 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Try restaurant suppliers for larger stainless steel steam pans, stock pots, baking sheets, etc. Much more durable....sometimes they're even less expensive than other places.

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2010 at 6:39am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

I would also suggest larger cast iron pans. They last forever.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 08 2010 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Keep your eyes open too. You never know where you might find the pan you want.

And sometimes like with things in the oven.. you may find that a couple of smaller pans work better than one giant pan anyway (middles will cook faster).

I found my wonderful lovely heavy stainless steel LARGE pot with nickle encased base at Safeway of all places. They did a promotion of a set of pots.. and I was able to buy it at the end of the promotion when all the pans left went on sale for a very low price for what I got.

Cast iron for fry pans. And again if you go too big even with cast iron the edges are significantly cooler than the middles.. so I use 2 alot of the time.

One of the best things I've gotten that isn't actually a pot is one of the electric roasters that you can put a turkey in. I forget what size they are.

But you can cook large amount of soups and stews and roasts with all the veggies etc in them. AND it can sit out on the patio or in a garage in the summer to keep the heat out of the house. I've even cooked a pan of enchiladas in them. That's hard because I normally need 2 pans of enchiladas.. but that time I made the type more of the kids don't like and served with more refriend beans and tortillas so they could make burritos and it worked.

ETA and don't get rid of those little pans.. we still like the smallest saucepan in a set for things like melting butter or reheating a one person meal.. we don't have a microwave.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 08 2010 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

I like Jodie's idea that two or more small pans are more practical than one large one. Those super-sized pans can be very heavy! Mostly I cook in a 6-quart and 2 8-quart Farberware pots. I also have an 11 quart pot that came from Ikea. Instead of using a crockpot, I have a tabletop oven cooker that holds something like 12-18 quarts instead of the 7 qt. crockpot. Or, even better, use 2 crockpots or else the contents will *never* get done. Besides, if you have multiple smaller pots, you can easily downsize some day in the way distant future ( ) when you don't need to cook so much food at a time.
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

teamommy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 08 2010 at 11:11pm | IP Logged Quote teamommy

I found an Emile Henrie baking dish that is like a 9x13 doubled. In is ceramic, very heavy duty, and it cleans up very easily. I love it and use it constantly! I double any casserole I make, then my teenaged son can have all the leftovers he wants! It was expensive (over a hundred dollars, I believe) but I saved my pennies and my Mom gave the the rest of the $ for my birthday. It was a great investment!
Back to Top View teamommy's Profile Search for other posts by teamommy

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version