Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Light to the Nations... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 19 2010 at 8:55pm | IP Logged Quote fsuadamson

I am so curious to hear what are your experiences with Light to the Nations Development of Christian Civilization? What grades are you all using these books?

Can anyone make some comparisons (pros/cons) when compared to textbooks like Christ the King, Lord of History?

Since part II is not out yet I can't ask for a comparison to Christ and the Americas.

Back to Top View fsuadamson's Profile Search for other posts by fsuadamson Visit fsuadamson's Homepage

amarytbc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 28 2010 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote amarytbc

bump
Back to Top View amarytbc's Profile Search for other posts by amarytbc

Mary's daughter
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 29 2010 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote Mary's daughter

We are using it for 9th grade history as a spine and supplementing with living history books. He is also keeping a timeline. He likes it and it seems to hold his attention more than Christ the King, Lord of History. There are lots of colorful illustrations which help bring the history alive. Just my 2 cents! It's working for us.

Stephanie
Back to Top View Mary's daughter's Profile Search for other posts by Mary's daughter

fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 15 2010 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote fsuadamson

Mary's daughter wrote:
We are using it for 9th grade history as a spine and supplementing with living history books. Stephanie

Does this book come with a supplemental list of living books for each chapter like From Sea to Shining Sea??

Back to Top View fsuadamson's Profile Search for other posts by fsuadamson Visit fsuadamson's Homepage

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 15 2010 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

I've used A Light to the Nations for grades six and seven. It's been interesting but a bit challenging for my middle school daughter (hence the slow pace).

The teacher's manual for A Light To the Nations recommends living books for each chapter. These books are separated into middle school and high school reading levels.

It also gives a list of music CDs correlated by chapter as well. I've found a fair number of these CD's at my local library and they've definitely been helpful in enriching our history studies. I haven't found as comprehensive a list for music before the 15th century anywhere else.
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 15 2010 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote fsuadamson

Hmmm thanks for the input! I think we will definitely be considering this book instead of Christ the King, Lord of History for 10th grade (next year)!

Mary's daughter
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 15 2010 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote Mary's daughter

Leslie,

My 15 year old has enjoyed it and the supplemental readings. We are moving slowly through it to go down certain rabbit trails. I'm very happy with the whole series.

Stephanie
Back to Top View Mary's daughter's Profile Search for other posts by Mary's daughter

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 18 2010 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

I'm doing something a bit different with it. I'm using it in place for what Seton recommends for 8th grade Religion as the book Story of the Church. I'm using it as a Church History book. I went through Story of the Church and Light to the Nations and the content is almost exactly the same, with a few exceptions. It seems to be about the same size as far pages but more interesting in wording and layout.

My 14yo ds is really liking it!

Then he and his 6th grade brother are doing From Sea to Shining Sea for History.

Kind of a different approach.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version