Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: 2010-Encourage each other-Current Read? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Alison
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 18 2010 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote Alison

We have three current readalouds:
The first during our faith slot is "Derring-do Mary Derring-do Mary the Story of Blessed Mary McKillop" by Sr M.Margaret.A fabulous read which will be over all too soon.

The second is our seasonal read:
Miss Hickoryby Carolyn Sherwin Bailey. I love the way Miss Hickory speaks in this (again)small chapter book.

And finally just for pleasure"The Year of Miss Agnes".the last is reinforcing for me CM style teaching practices and just how gentle the process of learning can be!

like you Erin I like re-reading favorites read with the older ones and thank you for starting this list which is giving me ideas for finding new friends!

Alison
Homeschoolingdownunder
Back to Top View Alison's Profile Search for other posts by Alison Visit Alison's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 19 2010 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

I love all the sharing Many of you are reading old favourites of ours too, and some new ones I haven't heard of

A question for the families with more than two read alouds 'on the go': How do you keep up the momentum of reading? Do you find that some books get more attention than others? simply, you do you manage it?

I agree, read alouds are my favourite part of homeschooling too

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 20 2010 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

Erin, in reading many books at one time, yes, there are some that get read at a slower rate. We don't read all of them every day. I have a read aloud for every child that is our own special reading time where they can cuddle with mom on the couch. I do this to ensure that my youngest is being read the same books that my oldest enjoyed at that age and I can read harder books with my oldest. These books do not always get read every day. My oldest and I are reading Oliver Twist now and we have been working on that since Nov. but we keep plugging along with it.

The books that get read every day are the family read alouds and the book for our unit study. Thos books have priority.

MusingsofaPrairieGirl
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 20 2010 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I'm pretty sure that Charlotte Mason, somewhere, differentiated the types of reading. Some books, she said, should be read slowly, one chapter a week, and provide time for reflection (and narration) over a long period of time. This is different from books read for fun, like the family read-aloud.

So, I imagine if you choose a book specifically as a part of your curriculum, you could limit it to a chapter a week or so while still having read alouds that are for fun and only limited by your own constraints of time and attention.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 20 2010 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh my.. I totally forgot.. We're also reading Caddie Woodlawn. My 10 yr old got it for her birthday.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 20 2010 at 1:41pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Years ago we read The Blue Cross by G.K. Chesterton. I pulled this not-yet-used book off of my shelf for the second read...

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Alison
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 20 2010 at 10:30pm | IP Logged Quote Alison

Like Julia said when you do several readalouds they don't all get read each day; however I have also found it helpful to tag readalouds to certain times of the day. So our book about Mary McKillop gets read at breakfast, one of the others will be read while the boys fold washing,dry dishes etc(the bonus in this is they don't have time to argue over chores as if they talk they won't hear the readaloud or they know I may just shut the book for the day.Also good for wrigglers(lols).

I like the idea of doing separate readalouds with different children, just not sure how to add that to the day!

Also much of our schooling involves reading together, be it our history text, geography, or science.(although there are 4 years between my two I just read to the oldest's level and "make" the younger be there(can play with leggo,k'nex etc provided he is quiet)and his conversation tells me he "gets it" most of the time! I've never timed myself to see how much time we spend reading together, but I'm thinking it could run to two hours plus easy!

Alison
Homeschoolindownunder
Back to Top View Alison's Profile Search for other posts by Alison Visit Alison's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 20 2010 at 11:02pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Some of my very first threads I viewed at 4Real were all the Read Aloud Threads from the very beginning! They are so fun to see what everyone is/was reading. LOVE IT!

Don't forget there is a Read Aloud Compilation as a STICKY at the top of this forum. I did this over a year ago, so there may be a few recent threads to add. It's mainly the threads that give lots of ideas and titles.

It's REALLY helpful, if when you're commenting about a book.....to bold, underline, link, or put the title in color, so THE TITLES are easy to find if scrolling through the thread in the future.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 24 2010 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote Christine

We are starting our next book tonight. My husband picked Saint Isaac and the Indians by Milton Lomask. It's highly recommended by our eldest daughter.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 26 2010 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

We finished Plain Girl and just started Twenty-One Balloons.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2010 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

We just started Little Britches by Ralph Moody. This is another "new" book for my dh. I am working on getting him to love this read a loud time.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

Carrie A
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 26 2010 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote Carrie A

We just started The Lost Prince by Frances Hodgson Burnett yesterday and my 9 & 7 yo sons are hooked already! It's a great mystery & adventure story for boys especially and just recently back in print!
Back to Top View Carrie A's Profile Search for other posts by Carrie A

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 05 2010 at 8:44pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

Just finished reading On to Oregon! by Honore Morrow outloud to the kids.....you know it was a winner when the eight year old starts crying when I tell them there is only one chapter left because she doesn't want it to end....

She cried again when we finished because, well, it was over!!

On to Oregon!
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 05 2010 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

joann10 wrote:
Just finished reading On to Oregon! by Honore Morrow outloud to the kids.....you know it was a winner when the eight year old starts crying when I tell them there is only one chapter left because she doesn't want it to end....

She cried again when we finished because, well, it was over!!

On to Oregon!

This was a favorite book of mine growing up - and the 70's movie, too . I really should do it as a read aloud. The older ones boys read it on their own and I can't believe I never had my daughter read it. Thanks for the reminder. Where my family moved when I was in high school was a small town in eastern Oregon on the Oregon Trail. I didn't appreciate the significance then but have made sure my kids do when we visit.

I need to take this thread to heart and join in - I sure need encouragement. This spring has been really hectic and disrupted and my latest read allow attempt has gotten us through a quarter of a book in 2 months.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 15 2010 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

We just read "The Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry. Often we read this at Christmas time, but it is a sweet read right now in part because we are studying the Industrial Revolution and industrialization. Can't you just picture this sweet couple and their love triumphing over the cold, harsh, world outside? Love it!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

adnilpress
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 24 2010 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote adnilpress

We've just finished reading all three of the 'Magic Faraway Tree' books. It's been ages since I sat down on a regular basis to read chapter books to my children - and my 3 youngest girls, aged 11, 10 and 8, absolutely loved them - so much so that I had the 'oh, please, just ONE more chapter!' request often.

These were my favourite books as a child, I'm glad I have been able to share them with my girls.

Next, it's onto 'The Wishing Chair'.

These have been our night-time reading, but during the day, we also are continuing to read books from Catholic Mosaic; it's got to be the best reading list ever! I think I've lost count of how many times we've read 'The Little Caterpillar who Came to Church'. And guess what? A couple of weeks ago, a lady at church asked us to take home the flowers that had been in the church - we got home, and found a real, live caterpillar, that had indeed, been to church - we were delighted!   

Paschal and the Kitchen Angels is another one that is read over, and over, and over...    

Homeschooling over 13 years.
Wife to Bill, Mother of 8, aged 8 to 18.
Back to Top View adnilpress's Profile Search for other posts by adnilpress Visit adnilpress's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 24 2010 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

We're reading several books on the Adventures of Raggedy Ann and Andy by Johnny Gruelle. I figured these would be a great tie-in with the concept of Toy Story, but much more wholesome.

We have about 7 books, with various stories. There were so many of these books when they were printed after 1918. We read the Raggedy Ann Stories, which are online, and now we're reading Raggedy Andy Stories

The icing on the cake has been pulling out my own Raggedy Ann that my mother made.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2010 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I just finished reading 101 Dalmatians the real book. It was a great read aloud!

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 01 2010 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Right now I am reading St. Patrick's Summer by Marigold Hunt, to my kids. Recently we've finished Follow My Leader, a book about a young boy who loses his sight and gets a guide dog - I had loved that as a child and the kids liked it too. And we also read The Kitchen Madonna by Rumer Godden. I had never read it until I found it recently at a conference, and we all loved it.

Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Faithr
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 01 2010 at 7:15pm | IP Logged Quote Faithr

We have slowed down a great deal lately. For one, I'm not doing the morning read alouds which were more obviously related to our studies. For another, my dh has been working crazy hours and so he hasn't been reading aloud at night for the last couple of weeks. He just finished Mystery of the Roman Ransom to the youngest two, but it took them a long time to get through it, since daddy is working late so much. Also, my 11 yo has just announced that he no longer wants to be read to. What! Blasphemy! So I'm giving him a little break, but then I'm going to start insisting.

So right now I'm reading The Secret Garden to my 8 yo. She's got her read alouds lined up. Next will be Ballet Shoes. We've read Theatre Shoes and Movie Shoes, so we've read them out of order. Then she wants Little Women. We bought these very discounted Little Women paper dolls so she's very interested in finding out who Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy really are!

I'm read the Aeneid out loud to my 15 yo.
Back to Top View Faithr's Profile Search for other posts by Faithr

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version