Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
We Pray to the Lord
 4Real Forums : We Pray to the Lord
Subject Topic: Difficult 2-3 week visit with parents Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mom2mpr
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 07 2010 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote mom2mpr

My parents live far away--2 day's drive. They visit every few months for 2-3 weeks each time. It can be very difficult to live with each other for that long. They will be here in an hour.

Last week when I spoke with them, they were arriving the 8th-tomorrow. Tomorrow am was my prep their room and bathroom time. I had hoped to get some school work done today as the next few weeks we will accomplish very little. Ds is getting behind. It is getting very disruptive to have them here so often and for so long. I feel bad having these feelings. They are older, I don't know how much longer they will be able to do this. I try to offer it up as these are the only grandkids they have. So hard.

We are getting off to a rough start this visit. Please pray we have a decent visit and I can accomplish some goals. I always hope they will take the kids and keep them busy but that doesn't always happen I end up serving my mom.

And dh and I have been working on our marriage and make some forward progress, they come, and we revert to old ways and go back 14 steps. It takes us months to get back to where we were.

Thanks for listening and for any prayers. Off to try to at least get the bathroom clean   
As always, I pray for all the intentions here.

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2010 at 1:31pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Praying for you, Anne!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2010 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

I will pray for you, Anne. Try and enjoy their time and effort to drive all that way even though it can take much sacrifice. I can so emphathize as a BTDT!!    

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 07 2010 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I am sending prayers right now, Anne . May God give your whole family the grace you need to do His will under difficult circumstances. This topic might offer some ideas to help you through the next few weeks. God bless you for being a welcoming and generous daughter.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 07 2010 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I am praying.

And please know that you're not alone with the school disruption issue. I think that happens to a lot of people who homeschool and host houseguests. It certainly does to me. I finally learned (emphasis on finally ) that I needed to plan lots of field trips and park days when grandparents are here. Trying to do math while someone's in the other room saying, "Just pretend I'm not here," doesn't work at my house.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 07 2010 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Praying for you, Anne. And, please don't hesitate to come back and post after their visit...and we can pray for "recovery-mode"....for you and your husband!!! I know this is especially hard on marriages.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 07 2010 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Praying, Anne. May you find balance amidst your conflicted feelings. It's so good to have parents/grandparents who want to spend time with you all, at the same time it's hard to keep your life where you think it needs to be when guests are around. Both good things - just not always clearly harmonious.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 07 2010 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Oh, Anne!
I can so relate. I will be praying!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 07 2010 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Praying for a peaceful visit, Anne.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

mariB
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2010 at 4:54am | IP Logged Quote mariB

Dear Anne, praying for you and for your family...

Back to Top View mariB's Profile Search for other posts by mariB Visit mariB's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2010 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Anne, I just went through my mom and her husband staying with us for a few days. You have all my prayers.

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2010 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote Mary K

Praying for you, Anne.
Could you include your parents in more relaxed school days? They could read stories, play/teach games, handcrafts, cooking,etc. Tell about their childhoods, where they grew up, their hobbies, occupations they held, you could do a ministudy of events that happened when they were younger.
God bless,
Mary-NY
Back to Top View Mary K's Profile Search for other posts by Mary K

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2010 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

Praying in empathy! Only we are the long-term guests this round. Schooling is games, wii, books on CD, reading time, and walks outside. Marriage is suffering. No real advice there, sorry.

Having just lost a parent, I encourage you to focus on the blessing it is to have them both with you! And maybe do a family history unit study while they are here? Record family stories, make a family tree on the wall, map out where extended family lives or where you have vacationed or lived, calculate distances/drive times to those places, talk about the different climates/ecosystems/flora/fauna of those places, etc. This allows a lot of involvement on the grandparents' part and maybe can be a nice trip down memory lane for you and dh?

Praying!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version