Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Language Arts Come Alive (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Language Arts Come Alive
Subject Topic: English for thoughtful child vs PLL Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 06 2010 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Can someone please compare for me these two products? They seem similar to me, but without having either in hand,I am having trouble wrapping my mind around them properly.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2010 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote vmalott

EFTTC is a workbook, or at least it was that format when I had it. PLL/ILL is a hardcover, non-consumable. The exercises are *very similar*, CM-type language arts. I can't recall if EFTTC has picture study exercises included or not. I do remember those from PLL/ILL, which we usually just skipped over.

I also remember some exercises from PLL/ILL being a little difficult to implement...trying to remember and example. I think, perhaps, something to do with the phases of the moon??? Anyway, it just meant having to do a little extra research on my part, or, once again, skipping it.

HTH,

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 06 2010 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Linking here for reference:
English for the Thoughtful Child
Primary Language Lessons

I'll be back later, Theresa with a couple thoughts.

I got EFTTC a couple years ago from ILL, and I thought I had seen sample pages on line somewhere, but I'm not sure about that.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2010 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I'm going to try this version of ILL for my ds who really struggles with writing. It is ILL put into a workbook format so the child answers directly into the book. The print is also enlarged. From what I can tell, there is nothing different from the original except the write-in part. At the link above you can see some sample pages, including the table of contents so that might help you make a decision, even if you want the original version.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2010 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Oops. Sorry Theresa. You said PLL, not ILL! They do have something that looks similar to PLL at that site, although it doesn't specifically state that that is what it is. If it helps at all, I emailed the company and they responded right away to answer my questions.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

margot helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 06 2010 at 5:18pm | IP Logged Quote margot helene

Becky Parker wrote:
I'm going to try this version of ILL for my ds who really struggles with writing. It is ILL put into a workbook format so the child answers directly into the book. The print is also enlarged. From what I can tell, there is nothing different from the original except the write-in part. At the link above you can see some sample pages, including the table of contents so that might help you make a decision, even if you want the original version.

I know this thread is about PLL, but I wanted to mention something about Serl's methodology, which pertains to both PLL and ILL. It's really cool that Living Curr has divided the ILL into 3 separate books - it makes sense. And my kids have asked me forever, can I write in the book. What they have done is provide lined places in their book to write the answers, so a student would simply write in the book instead of on lined paper. I have several problems with that. First, the student then has only "that" much room to write - what if he writes big, what if she has more to say. (I have found great fluctuation in the writing abilities of 4th graders.) You end up using separate paper anyway. If your child is struggling with writing, this version doesn't remove the writing, it just puts it into a limited space. Second, what do you do with the story writing that is done in the book? If it's in the book, it belongs to the book and not to the child. I hope that makes sense . . . it has to do with how a child looks at his own writing. (You could tear the writing out of the book and save it in a folder.) Third, if they have made exercises where the student is supposed to provide a missing word and they've given the child the sentence with just the one word left blank, then it defeats the purpose of Serl's intentions. Workbooks separate words from sentences and her intention is to have the whole sentence in the child's mind and at the end of his/her pencil. That what makes it a "language" usage book. Fourth, you end up paying $66.00 per child for all three levels (book cannot be reused) as opposed to buying a few notebooks or a stack of lined paper.

The same goes for PLL. It would defeat the end result of Serl's method to make it a workbook that the child writes in. Maybe it would make it easier for us - I don't know. My students have a notebook (with perforated tear-out sides) designated for PLL or ILL and they write their answers/stories in that. I don't see how it's more convenient to write the answers in the workbook.

All that being said, if your child only wants to use workbooks, maybe having it in workbook format will convince him it's a workbook, even though Serl's intent is much different. Kinda tricksy!! They also have given the text a modern look by adding some cool icons to tell the child to narrate or copy, etc.

I loved English for the Thoughtful Child. I used it with my older children in first/second grade and then PLL in 3rd grade.
Margot
Back to Top View margot helene's Profile Search for other posts by margot helene Visit margot helene's Homepage

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2010 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

I've never used PLL, so I can't really do a comparison. We have just recently started using English for the Thoughtful Child, though-- and we love it! I'm just using it with my 2nd grader for now, and I went ahead and bought the second book for when we finish this one because we like it so much.

It is in workbook form, but we don't usually use it that way (surprise, surpise ). We do the lessons orally, like Simply Charlotte Mason suggests. Then, if I want my dd to do some of the written work, I make a copy of the worksheet (this is allowed per the copyright permissions) and have her do them on that. Then she can slide the finished work into her notebook. Sometimes (um, often) we skip the written work altogether, and other times we just do a portion of the written exercise-- it just depends on how much practice she needs on each topic.

Hope that helps some.
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2010 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Thanks, ladies for the input. I am still trying to find online samples of EFTTC but having no luck.
Margot, I really appreciate the thoughtful analysis of PLL/ILL and the Serl methodology. I am definitely thinking workbook is not the way I want to go with my dd, so what you said resonates with me a lot. If I do decide to go with PLL, it will be just the original book form.
My only hesitation is if my dd is ready for the level of PLL, or if EFTTC would be at a more appropriate level for her.
Sarah, can you help me out by posting some of the table of contents or sample lessons for EFTTC?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 06 2010 at 10:42pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

Sure. PM'ing you.
Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2010 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote vmalott

Theresa,
You can sneak a peek at Christianbook.com:
English for the Thoughtful Child, Vol. 1
English For the Thoughtful Child, vol. 2

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2010 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Thanks!!!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version