Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Flat Feet Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 28 2010 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Actually, I have very bad pronated arches, but to the point that my feet are so flat, that I have callouses where my arch should be.

I've tried wearing the correct shoes, but I keep getting problems after problems, and pain keeps getting worse. I'm now very conservative in picking my "on my feet time" just because it hurts so fast.

I'm seeing a physical therapist right now for a related problem, and she said that she was shocked that I don't have custom orthotics. She is observing my bone structure is changing, and I'm not going to get any better if I don't make some changes.

For those that use orthotics, what works for you? How often do you need to replace them? What shoes fit the orthotics?

Is it worth it? Have you noticed a huge change/difference?

Anyone try OTC, like Dr. Scholl's? That was the conservative opinion from the orthopedist, but the PT was a bit more extreme.

Love to hear feedback.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 28 2010 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

if you try OTC get the good ones.. there's something better than the one you can get at the grocery store or the like.. but not as expensive as custom.

My son's feet.. had him walking very flat footed.. we were able to find a GOOD running shoe (quite comfy.. his feet are only a half size bigger than mine so I tried them on to see how they felt ) and within 2 weeks he's moving like an entirely different kid. He plays lacrosse and I could not figure out why he was moving like he was "plodding".. got the supportive shoes.. my guess is just the shoes are correcting 80-90% and he's got that spring back in how he moves.. the way his foot was coming down there was NO rebound and I saw him run today.. and the difference was HUGE.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2010 at 10:43pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I actually have the opposite problem as you - I under pronate severely, walking on the outsides of my feet, with really high arches and high instep. I have also had bunion surgery twice on one foot, and surgery for a trapped nerve (tarsal tunnel syndrome, like carpal tunnel except in your foot) as well as for plantar fasciitis, on the other foot! My current podiatrist (I only switched b/c we moved, and I've been very blessed by both of these last two, a previous one was a quack) prescribed orthotics and I was skeptical but I have to admit they make a world of difference. B/c of all my previous foot problems, coupled with the fact that I wear a size 6 extra wide, I mostly wear walking shoes (new Balance) around the house and for errands. These fit in them very well but I also put them in some shoes I wear with nicer pants, a loafer-type with a 1 inch heel. I don't think they'd go into any of my church shoes, but since I only wear those about an hour and a half at a time, I just do without.

My insurance paid for most of them - I think I had to pay $50 or so, and the doctor told me insurance usually covers a new pair every year, so I could get a second pair to leave in different shoes. but I've had these almost 2 full years now, with daily wear and they still feel fine.

last summer I started running again and I tried putting them in my running shoes. It was OK, but I think I should probably have a new pair made specifically for that (I quit in the fall after some bronchitis and haven't gotten back to it).

I don't know if they would make such a big difference to you as they have for me, with a different problem but I've been amazed at how much better they are than the OTC ones. Oh, and one shoe my dr likes a lot if you aren't wearing orthotics, is Birkenstocks. I wore mine in one day after surgery, after the cast came off and he said they were about the best thing around.

Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 29 2010 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I've had custom orthotics since I was 18. I went away to college and all that walking around campus, caused amazing pain and after 2 months I could BARELY walk. My dad came and got me and WHIPPED me into a Podiatrist's office! I've been wearing custom-orthotics ever since.

When I was between 22-25 I had 4 doctors tell me that I really should have foot surgery, but really important things kept coming up....like new jobs, trips to Europe and friends visiting , so it never happened. And, my feet felt "OK" as long as I wasn't walking a TON and wearing my orthotics at least 80% of the time.

I think there have been huge strides in the OTC ones...so it's probably worth looking into.

Fast forward 20 years. My feet are FINE. They do get "achy" on occasion, but not overly so. And, I have different problems when I'm pregnant due to all the rapid weight gain. I have a GREAT podiatrist that I see for new orthotics or when pregnant.

I need to replace my orthotics about every 5-7 years. They crack or break, and then obviously the support isn't there. Our insurance covers some of it.

I don't wear them all the time. I don't really NEED to anymore. In the summer, especially....i wear sandals.

It's a total pain looking for shoes that fit them, although not so much anymore, because good-quality, good-looking shoes aren't as hard to find as they were 15 years ago. I also depend on the "specialty shoe stores" to tell me what brands are best for my type of foot and will fit my orthotic. They are super helpful!

Can you get a good recommendation for a podiatrist that you can trust? It's worth getting a couple opinions from them.

From my experience, I guess my orthotics have been really GOOD! I mean, I DON"T need surgery anymore....my podiatrist would never recommend it for me now....and foot surgery is AWFUL! You poor feet with all that weight on them!   Ugh! It remains to be seen, of course, what will happen as I age...but for now...all is ok.

My "foot" and "eye" situation was one of the things I felt I needed to disclose to him after we got engaged!    He said that he doesn't care HOW much it costs....we will do "whatever it takes" to take care of my eyes and my feet! .... Good thing he thinks that, cuz BOTH of those on me are horribly bad!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 29 2010 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote Marcia

We got orthotics for my oldest daughter. She has "happy feet" now. Her feet are flat and she also had a hypertropic bone that protrudes from the side of her flat arch. Now she's back to running and being a kid. Worth all the trouble we went through. :)

I wonder why
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

Kath
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 29 2010 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote Kath

Jenn, I have the exact same problem as you. My feet were hurting all day every day and I used to dread getting out of the bed in the morning because it hurt as soon as I stood up. I finally got custom orthotics about a month ago and the difference is enormous! My feet don't hurt at all anymore, thank goodness. Now the challenge will be finding decent looking shoes that work with them.

Oh, and I did try over the counter orthotics and they helped but never did enough.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2010 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks for all the input. Have any of you successfully used orthotics in Dansko shoes?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2010 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I can't put my orthotics in the Professional/Stapled Clogs, because they don't have a removable footbed/insert. But, any of the Danskos with a removable footbed, I've been able to wear successfully....my orthotic fits in them.

And, I think it's only the Prof/Stapled Clogs that don't have that removable.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

JaysFamily
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 05 2010 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote JaysFamily

I recommend the prescription orthotics! Even your callouses will eventually go away once your step is corrected. They're expensive, but so worth the money! I've already paid out in a couple of months of physical therapy what one pair of orthotic inserts would have cost years ago. Now my pelvis is rotated, and my femur is damaged at the knee because I didn't want to pay for the prescription inserts.

Jaysfamily
wife to Jay
mother to DS(5)
Back to Top View JaysFamily's Profile Search for other posts by JaysFamily

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version