Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Board games for little ones Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JaysFamily
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 28 2010 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote JaysFamily

After a month of frustration, we put Chutes and Ladders, and Candyland away. He didn't want to play them because they took too long to play, and he didn't catch on to a simplified version of the rules.

We did some research, and came across Go Away, Monster!. It's been a huge hit. He's been playing it every day, and we have a fun time playing as a family. It's a shape recognition game, and he loves pulling out monster pieces so he can yell, "Go away, monster!"

What are your recommendations for board games and card games for toddlers and young children?
Back to Top View JaysFamily's Profile Search for other posts by JaysFamily

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 28 2010 at 2:45pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Hullabaloo.. it's not a sit down game.. and you have to follow the directions.. but like it tells you to move to a shape or to a color or to a type of food (picture on the shape and color mats).. gets my kids giggling.. even the tiny tots love running from place to place with their older siblings even though they don't know what they're doing.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

lovebeingamom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 28 2010 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote lovebeingamom

Other than Candyland and Chutes and Ladders, here are our favorites.

Mary Memory
Regular Memory
Hi Ho Cherry-O
Candyland Castle (In fact, DS age 19 mo. just started playing this game with us)
http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-41450-Candy-Land-Castle/dp/B000 OKS774/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1272483978&sr =8-1
Sequence for Kids

DD (age 3) recently received Cariboo Island - however, we have not played it yet!
http://www.amazon.com/Cranium-16576-Cariboo-Island/dp/B0028Y 4RAU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1272484075&sr=1 -1

I am anxious to see what others have to suggest. I am always open to new, fun games to play.

Back to Top View lovebeingamom's Profile Search for other posts by lovebeingamom

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 28 2010 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

We love Zingo!

There are now a few different versions but even my 2 year old plays and it moves so that you can get a few games (and a few winners) in a short amount of time.

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 28 2010 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Ohhhh....this has been one of my FAVORITE TOPICS for the past 6 months!    We were DESPERATE to find some games that my 4 yo could play, and that all the sisters "didn't mind" playing with her, and US TOO! My dh and I just can't STAND Candyland and Chutes and Ladders. They are just so painfully BORING! And, REALLY we WANT to enjoy playing games with the little ones!!!!!

We love any kind of MEMORY...so that was DONE! But, I did find some neat variations! And, we had Sequence for Kids. This is the one we already had that my dd-4yo loved to play and we realized we needed more games like it.

OK....so here are the ones the I asked for from family members for various birthdays and Christmas, and I feel like we have a fun selection now:

::Pengoloo. COMPLETELY FUN and actually quite challenging for all age groups. 4 yo loves it and so do we. It's a variation on "Memory"
::Chicky Boom. Fine motor skills, physics, weight, colors, big/small. Really a nice game. We all like it. Good for the toddler too.
::Monkey Memory. Logic, Memory, Concentration. A bit "much" for the 4 yo, but give her a couple months, and she'll be right there with the others.
:: Catch The Match. Easy, portable. Observing differences and similarities in the objects on two cards. Need to find the ONE that is the absolute same.
::Hisss. PERFECT for the pre-schoolers, but my 9 yo loves it too. Match the head/mid-section/tail by color to each snake. Complete a snake and you "get" those cards.
::Feed the Kitty. Not as fun/challenging as the ones above, but not painful like Candyland....it doesn't last NEARLY as long. You can play a quick game in less than 10 minutes.

These are the ones that were on my "final list" but didn't make the LAST CUT:

Physics-Balance Games (similar to Chicky Boom):
:: Kippit
:: Cagola
:: Rocking Moon Game
:: Zimboos

Others:
:: Silly Faces
:: Royal Rescue
:: Gobblet Gobblers
:: Pressman Blockhead
:: Froggy Boogie

Here are a couple other suggestions:
::Pit. A Really fun loud family game that even the preschoolers can play if you physically "set them up" right.
:: Mancala is fun for the little ones. This game is so relaxing to me...I don't know why. I could play forever.
:: My 4yo is starting to enjoy "jumping" in Chinese Checkers.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 29 2010 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote LucyP

We like the Haba Orchard game. The Shadow in the Woods/Shadows in the Forest game by Ravensberger (it uses a candle so our kids adore it!) - both are co-operative. Ours also like Kerplunk.
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 07 2010 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Adding a game that we received a couple months ago, and my 4 yo LOVES to play....and I love to play it too...it's the perfect game to beach on the couch and play with her.

Spot It

This is a GREAT game for the whole family too!

mamasue
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 07 2010 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote mamasue

Oh!! We LOVE spot it!! The whole family plays! It's similar to SET but easier for the younger ones!
Back to Top View mamasue's Profile Search for other posts by mamasue

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 08 2010 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

My kids have enjoyed playing Buckaroo. The very little ones laugh so hard to see donkey loose his cargo . My dd 10 and dd 7 have recently enjoyed playing Apples to Apples Jr.. We'll let the littles team up with an older person so they can play too.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

lovebeingamom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 08 2010 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote lovebeingamom

lovebeingamom wrote:
Other than Candyland and Chutes and Ladders, here are our favorites.

Mary Memory
Regular Memory
Hi Ho Cherry-O
Candyland Castle (In fact, DS age 19 mo. just started playing this game with us)
http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-41450-Candy-Land-Castle/dp/B000 OKS774/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1272483978&sr =8-1
Sequence for Kids

DD (age 3) recently received Cariboo Island - however, we have not played it yet!
http://www.amazon.com/Cranium-16576-Cariboo-Island/dp/B0028Y 4RAU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1272484075&sr=1 -1

I am anxious to see what others have to suggest. I am always open to new, fun games to play.

To add to our list: We are enjoying Sequence for Kids, Hiss and My First Uno. In fact DS (now 2) is playing Hiss and Uno with me and DD (4) and loves it!

I will have to check out Spot it.
Back to Top View lovebeingamom's Profile Search for other posts by lovebeingamom

Lacy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote Lacy

Here's another big vote for the Candyland CASTLE game (way different than regular candyland, and a lot of fun!) and also Hullabaloo. My kids also really like trouble. Something about popping the dice I think. Hi Ho Cherrio is also a hit around here. I'm thinking about trying them out on Operation soon.

I really can't say enough awesome things about the Candyland Castle game. It's a chance to teach kids about colors, shapes, puzzle skills, taking turns, counting, and it's really fun!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Bumping for Christmas gift ideas.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 11:46pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

My littles like Feed the Kitty and Sum Swamp

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JaysFamily
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 25 2010 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote JaysFamily

Animal upon Animal has also been a hit here.

Jaysfamily
wife to Jay
mother to DS(5)
Back to Top View JaysFamily's Profile Search for other posts by JaysFamily

dolorsofmary
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 30 2010 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote dolorsofmary

ONe thing I do with my son, and it is made very easy by the fact that I have only 1 child, is the following: we play trade-up.

Its a game that I made up that helps me find out what games/toys he really wants. Of course it might not be the best in terms in finding things that are age appropriate but yet hopefully that is marked on the box already.

Simply trade up is played like this: He gets to choose 2-3 toys/games or whatever number you like, in a store and put them in the cart. And as s/he sees other games/toys s/he likes they have to replace or keep the ones they already have. By doing this it has helped me get to know my son even more. There were some toys/games I thought he would really love but he passed them up.

Although the dark side of trade up is that it can sort of enhance greed, but perhaps one can turn trade up around and use it for your child helping you find a gift for someone else as well. I hope this helps. It helps a lot with Christmas and birthday now that my son is 5 and is more choosey.

Back to Top View dolorsofmary's Profile Search for other posts by dolorsofmary

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 30 2010 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

My boys have really liked Harvest Time. Its from a company that makes "cooperative games" which kind of sounds lame (no one necessarily wins), but it is fun and easy for littles to join. We haven't tried any of their games for older children yet.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

mamasue
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 30 2010 at 11:33pm | IP Logged Quote mamasue

I recently realized We need to work on some fine motor skills so for Christmas I was thinking about these games (not board games, but just as fun!!)

bed bugs
perfection
operation

hmm any other ideas for motor skills and playing alone while mom helps older sibling in the next room?
Back to Top View mamasue's Profile Search for other posts by mamasue

dolorsofmary
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 01 2010 at 7:55am | IP Logged Quote dolorsofmary

Just a side note on purchasing of games - go to Goodwill. I went there and got some great games for $0.99!! and I got a t-rex bone set where the child can build a t-rex from plastic bones for $7.00, it retails for $140.00! Wow! At least at the goodwills near me there are tons of games there, just tons and usually all the pieces are there. You can ask for money off perhaps if there are parts missing.

I think operation would be a good fine motor skill game. Also even just moving small pieces around a board. One of our favorites is Don't wake Daddy. and when you wake him up he sits up straight out of bed and his nightcap flies off. So funny! Well all have a good laugh. I got it from good will for $0.99!! Wow!
Back to Top View dolorsofmary's Profile Search for other posts by dolorsofmary

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 01 2010 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

mamasue wrote:
I recently realized We need to work on some fine motor skills so for Christmas I was thinking about these games (not board games, but just as fun!!)

bed bugs
perfection
operation

hmm any other ideas for motor skills and playing alone while mom helps older sibling in the next room?

My children love playing with CooCoo the Rocking Clown either by themselves or as a game.
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 03 2010 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

dolorsofmary wrote:
ONe thing I do with my son... we play trade-up.

I think this is a lovely way to help children to learn how to prioritize.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version