Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Robin's Nest Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dana
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 22 2010 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote Dana

We have a robin's nest in our backyard and I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for a picture book suitable for a 2 1/2 year old. We read simple board books mostly, but she also beginning to enjoy books like Corduroy when she's not too busy.
Back to Top View Dana's Profile Search for other posts by Dana

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 22 2010 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Apple Pie Tree is great. It's a story of seasons and in addition to the changes in the tree itself it follows the nesting cycle of a robin family.

Little Robin Redbreast is an old Mother goose nursery rhyme. It's available as a very simple picture book with the same illustrator as the above book. Very cute.

Robin at Hickory Street - There is a whole series of books about animals at the=is street. It's a little longer and might not be of interest to a really young one.

A Nest Full of Eggs - a picture book science book, geared a little older as well, but great if even just for the pictures to follow along with what she might see with the nest in your yard.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 22 2010 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

An Egg is Quiet is a family favorite.
Also the book About Birds: A guide for Children by Cathryn Sill has a robin and nest on the cover, and beautiful watercolor illustrations and simple text throughout.It's a lovely book.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JaysFamily
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 22 2010 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote JaysFamily

We started reading the Usborne picture books to our son before he turned 3. We have The Sunny Day, The Rainy Day, The Snowy Day, On the Beach,etc.

In the Nest is one we don't have, but want! They're non-fiction, and the pictures are beautiful. I considered becoming a consultant just so I could buy this series at a discount.
Back to Top View JaysFamily's Profile Search for other posts by JaysFamily

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 24 2010 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Inch by Inch by Leo Lionni begins with an encounter between a robin and an inchworm...

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 26 2010 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Welcome, Dana! Any sister of Lindsay is definitely welcome!

Here are some of our favorites, not just about Robins, but birds in general:

by Jane Werner Watson, illustrated by Eloise Wilkin

Another one by the same author and illustrator,
Birds: A Child's First Book About Our Most Familiar Birds by Jane Werner Watson and Eloise Wilkin

both are Little Golden books. I love the illustrations of Eloise Wilkin.

Crinkleroot's 25 Birds Every Child Should Know by Jim Arnosky

Crinkleroot's Guide to Knowing the Birds also by Jim Arnosky.

Check your library for these two. We just love Jim Arnosky, and we started at a young age.

On my blog I talked about a few books we really love: Training our Eyes and Ears. These aren't picture books, per se, but our favorite, favorite ways to learn about the birds.

Backyard Birdsong Book is one.

We also have A Child's Book of Birds

Brian Wildsmith's Book of Birds

I had another one or two in mind, but they escaped me suddenly. I'll be back if I remember....

I was actually going to start a new thread about our nests. We have two robin's nests in our yard. One is underneath our covered deck. It seems we have had a nest here every years for the past 4 years. Do robins reuse old nests? It looks like they "repadded" the old one, but there is another smaller one next to the old one, too.

And today I discovered another nest building operation on our front porch. It's right outside the front door, on the ledge of our porch light. I'm worried that they will be disturbed and move away. Would love to hear any advice. We'd love to be able to observe more closely with it being right there.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 03 2010 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

JennGM wrote:
Welcome, Dana! Any sister of Lindsay is definitely And today I discovered another nest building operation on our front porch. It's right outside the front door, on the ledge of our porch light. I'm worried that they will be disturbed and move away. Would love to hear any advice. We'd love to be able to observe more closely with it being right there.

We feel like we're living the picture book "The Best Nest". The father bird keeps picking the same spot and the mother bird is not happy.

Those robins keep trying to build a nest in the crook of our porch light. The problem is that it doesn't have any base large enough or steady enough to keep the nest in. So they have rebuilt this nest at least 5 times. We're not knocking it down...it just keeps tumbling down.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2010 at 3:43pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

JennGM wrote:
JennGM wrote:
... I was actually going to start a new thread about our nests. We have two robin's nests in our yard. One is underneath our covered deck. It seems we have had a nest here every years for the past 4 years. Do robins reuse old nests? It looks like they "repadded" the old one, but there is another smaller one next to the old one, too.

And today I discovered another nest building operation on our front porch. It's right outside the front door, on the ledge of our porch light. I'm worried that they will be disturbed and move away. Would love to hear any advice. We'd love to be able to observe more closely with it being right there.

...Those robins keep trying to build a nest in the crook of our porch light. The problem is that it doesn't have any base large enough or steady enough to keep the nest in. So they have rebuilt this nest at least 5 times. We're not knocking it down...it just keeps tumbling down.

This is exactly where our robins' put their nest, but on the back patio light. The top of our light is probably 5 inches in diameter. Oh, and there are four eggs-so pretty! But boy do they get mad when we open our doorwall!   They attempted a nest there, last year, but it got blown down in a huge storm. This year's nest looks sturdier, and it seems they have at least tucked the nesting material into the opening between the light's anchor plate and the brick of the house.

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 03 2010 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See? has a "red bird" in it.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Dana
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 03 2010 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote Dana

My husband I keep commenting on our poor robin's lack of instinct. It built it in the worst tree and it's not very deep and there are three robin babies in it.   We had very bad weather over the past two weekends and it held together, but I didn't feel bad for the mommy and her babies. The tree has very little protection. I actually had to save one of her babies that had fallen out the other day...my son was going after it with grill tongs My husband or I check it every morning before we let our Westie out to make sure that none have fallen out. The tree is very close to our back door, but nothing like the proximity of a porch light. When they were just hatched I actually kept us in the house a bit more so that I was sure the Mom would be able to feed them. My hubby laughs at how protective I am of them. He claims it's also because I'm on the nest (due in July). We have taken a few pictures, but we never touched the nest and I only touched the baby bird to put it back in. (covered my hands with a clean towel [I don't use scented laundry detergent or fabric softener]). We have gotten a chair and stood in it to check out the eggs and babies and we occassionaly stick our camera up and take pictures. My hubby and I also will pick up the kids to let them look, but we don't touch. I hope that helps. I didn't find any info on how sensitive they are, but I don't like complete strangers touching my belly (Why do people think this is okay?) so I took the same rule and applied it to the birds....it worked.
Back to Top View Dana's Profile Search for other posts by Dana

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version