Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Vita-Mix...sell me! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 20 2010 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Here's a current search result for Vita-Mix. I'll spend some time tooling through these and would like to ask you chime in with a current update.

How long have you owned your vitamix? How often do you use your vitamix? Was it worth the investment? What do you use it for most? How and when did you purchase yours? What would you consider a good deal on this product? Any thing else?

One final question...would it be worth the investment for doing only a daily smoothie? Does it make prep that much easier, nutrition that much improved?

Thanks so much!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 20 2010 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Hey Angie! I'm getting a Vita-Mix (finally! after years of waffling; oh and I also want a waffle maker but that will have to wait :D) -- so can't address your other questions yet. But Costco's having their Vita-Mix show at the end of the month, so I'm excited! Did want to mention that I'm getting it for the nutrition and savings...

want to make my own organic hummus, I can find non-organic hummus cheaply, but organic chickpeas are so affordable that it would make sense to make my own

also our own almond butter -- kids (except Paco) can't have peanut butter and they really need some nuts in their system, and almond is the only nut they tolerate, but at $16.99 for a jar of organic almond butter at WF, ! i figure i'll save a bit by making my own.

and i've been wanting to make my own baba ghanouj. my blender and food processor do okay, but not as yummy or smooth as storebought.

and i have a juicer! but i want all that good fiber stuff in there from the peels and pulp, etc.

my 2-yo DLX blender attachment that replaced my 18-yo Oster now has a crack at the bottom . It does a fairly good job making smoothies, but I'm looking forward to the heavier-duty VM.

oooh... and one more thing .... have you tried Bubble
Tea
? I'm looking forward to making Taro and Avocado and Mango Bubble Tea! from natural ingredients and not from a powdered mix!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 20 2010 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

I got mine March 4th and LOVE IT. I was scared to take it out of the box, but it's fantastic. I've used it every single day since getting it. Only 1 day did I only use it once. Most days I use it at least two or three times.

I've used it for:
-smoothies
-baby food
-peanut butter
-bread crumbs
-chopping carrots
-sorbet
-ice cream
-soups
-spaghetti sauce
-strawberry pina coladas
-blending up spinach and other veggies to add to sauces or other foods
-made oat flour from oatmeal
-made confectioner's sugar when I realized we were out and needed some for cinnamon roll icing for a Sunday brunch
-whole wheat pancake batter
-cheese sauce for mac-n-cheese last night (so nice to not have to use a sauce pan to make the white sauce--and clean up was a breeze)

I'm sure there's stuff I'm forgetting too.

I got mine at Costco when they were in town for the road show. I would definitely spend the money again. I'd only spend the money if you have it though--certainly not something worth going into debt for.

I can feel a big difference in myself since getting it too. I've dropped 27 pounds, completely gotten over my carb cravings/sugar addiction. The green smoothies are great for that. I have a lot more energy. My kids ask for green smoothies daily too. They love them.

I could go on forever about how much I love it. I feel like I've already gotten my money's worth from it too it's been that good.

You can get free shipping too from their site with the code 06-005077. When I was looking to buy I checked amazon, ebay and cragislist. The used prices weren't much less than the new prices so I decided to go with new.

As far as investment, if you just used it once a day for a year to make a smoothie, your cost per day would be about $1.20. But, I think you'll find if you get it you'll use it for much more than smoothies. I didn't really think I'd use it as much as I do, but it's amazing how often I use it. (And I guess if you got it and didn't use it as much as you liked, you could always sell it since they hold their value so well.)

Do you know anyone local who has one that you can check out?

Milehimama
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 21 2010 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote Milehimama

I have a Vita-Mix. My FIL gave it to me. He used it for smoothies (he was a health nut). I use it to make frappacinos and batter. It's been mine for about 3 years.

I make Sue Gregg's Blender Batter waffles, and it grinds up DRY rice and oatmeal into the batter. I've heard that with liquid it will even grind up dry beans! It does it's job, that's for sure. It makes a good frappacino, too, and I've ground up sugar into a finer grind (it wasn't truly *powdered* sugar, though.)

I like that it has a plastic pitcher and comes with a plunger, and it is very powerful. It is tall, and won't fit on a countertop under a cabinet (so I don't leave mine out.) Also, the blades are attached to the pitcher and don't come out - you can't take the bottom apart to clean it. But it does go in the dishwasher.
Here's how I clean it:
http://www.milehimama.com/2009/07/15/how-to-clean-a-vitamix/

Also, the blender will heat things up as it grinds (powerful motor + friction) so it's not good for things like grinding large quantities of flax seeds that could be damaged by heat.

Back to Top View Milehimama's Profile Search for other posts by Milehimama Visit Milehimama's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2010 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

MelissaClaire wrote:

-
-cheese sauce for mac-n-cheese last night (so nice to not have to use a sauce pan to make the white sauce--and clean up was a breeze)

I can feel a big difference in myself since getting it too. I've dropped 27 pounds, completely gotten over my carb cravings/sugar addiction. The green smoothies are great for that. I have a lot more energy. My kids ask for green smoothies daily too. They love them.

OK, I had to keep these in quotes. First, how do you make cheese sauce in a vitamix that doesn't involve making a white sauce on the stove?

And second, 27 pounds?? Really? This alone would be worth the price to me, but how do green smoothies get rid of sugar addiction? Please tell me more, I'm desperate!

Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 26 2010 at 3:14pm | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

For the cheese sauce you put flour and milk and butter in the vitamix and the blades spin so fast that it actually heats it up. (You run it for 6 minutes I think?) Then you add the cheese and it blends it so fast it melts it. Just pour it out on top of cooked noodles and bake. Easy peasy!

And yep--27 pounds. I've gone from 180 to 153. I'm not sure what it is about the green smoothies that curbs the sugar addiction. I think maybe because I'm getting so many natural sugars and fiber that I'm feeling full and satisfied that I don't want any artificial sugars or empty carbs I usually have a green smoothie and a handful of almonds for breakfast now.

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2010 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

Angie, Angie, Angie....I have had my Vita Mix for two years now and I LOVE IT! I find joy in pulling it out. I find joy in using it. I find joy in, yes, cleaning it. This is how I get veggies in Kade, who will NOT eat a vegetable. This is how I get veggies in me! I bought this instead of a juicer because you get all of the veggie and fruit (except for peels from bananas & oranges)instead of just the juice. I put the entire apple in there! It is powerful and easy to clean. My family loves when we pull it out...at least once a week.

I can't remember what I paid, but I used a coupon that someone graciously offered from 4Real! Sorry, I can;t remember your name right now But, I would even paid full price. I love it that much! I also called the company one time because it seemed to overheat. They were very helpful and it ends up I was doing something wrong. So, I haven't had that problem again.

I mostly make smoothies, but have made ice cream, soup, and sauces. I need to make almond butter!

In a nutshell, yes, I think it's worth the investment!     

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2010 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

Jenn Sal wrote:

I can't remember what I paid, but I used a coupon that someone graciously offered from 4Real! Sorry, I can;t remember your name right now

It was Jennifer...Mackfam
Thank you!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 26 2010 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Jenn Sal wrote:
Jenn Sal wrote:

I can't remember what I paid, but I used a coupon that someone graciously offered from 4Real! Sorry, I can;t remember your name right now

It was Jennifer...Mackfam
Thank you!

Jenn,
I'm so glad I could offer that coupon! I wish they still sent me coupons so I could share them...but alas.

Angie,
We enjoy our Vita-mix here a great deal! I have a smallish island and it lives there (because it's too tall to live on the counter under cabinets). We make all the standards in ours, and I'm enjoying new ideas shared here. My mom uses her Vita-mix with a dry blade to grind her own wheat berries for making wheat bread. It's a very versatile appliance.

I'll also mention that both my mom and I bought a refurbished model directly from the Vita-mix site. We've never had trouble with ours! Mom had to call about a small issue and customer service was extremely helpful. Because the refurbished models were more affordable it made this appliance more reasonable for our family so I wanted to mention the option.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 26 2010 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I just realized I didn't answer your questions.

We've had our Vitamix for 2 years now. Our use of it varies from several times a week...to weekly...to once every couple of weeks...and then back to more regular use. We think it was worth the investment. I think it is mostly used for smoothies, but I do use it for other things. I shared a little about the refurb thing. They regularly offer sales for free shipping - hold out for that! If you decide to go with a new model, the Costco demos are the best prices for those!

HTH!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 03 2010 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

The next Costco roadshow here for the Vita-mix is July 23rd! I can't seem to find a refurbished model at the Vita-mix website. Patience, Angie, patience .

Does anyone know what the Costco package includes? I tend to go for no-frills packages in general, like this one but are there additional features worth the investment?

Stef, did you get yours?

Love,    

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 03 2010 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Yup!!!

And Paco almost killed it yesterday

I'm *very* happy with it so far. And very frustrated with Whole Foods for not having organic almonds so I could have tried making almond butter already!!! However, I might try making tahini and hummus this evening.

Costco's package (or at least the one here, don't know if it's different in other cities) = the Vita-Mix base and pitcher (?) -- wet-blade (dry-blade extra, the guy had it but I already have a grain mill so I opted to not get it). Cookbook in binder, small booklet with excerpts from the cookbook, DVD. There's a different package available online that has a skillet and different blades/containers I think... for a couple of hundred $$ more or so.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 03 2010 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

just looked at your link. that's the one Costco has. for $50 less. i'm glad i didn't see that link before or i might have considered paying $50 more just to get it in RED!!!

mom to five

Teachin'Mine2
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 04 2010 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote Teachin'Mine2

I know this thread is about VitaMix, but for a whole lot less - if you're just planning on making smoothies - you can get the Oster Fusion.   I think Costco sells theirs for about $60, so you may want to check that out when you're looking at the VitaMix.   It got great reviews from Consumer Reports.    

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 04 2010 at 11:03pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I'm so happy for you, stef!

Thanks for the head's up on the Oster Fusion, Teachin'Mine2.

I have time to ponder...

Love,

Ging
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 06 2010 at 2:54pm | IP Logged Quote Ging

I just got a free Vita Mix!
Apparently my parents went through a "heath food phase" when I was in college and bought a Vita Mix. They've had it in storage for about 10 years or so. Today I was talking with my Dad and mentioned that I was looking into buying a Vita Mix and he said, "Well, you can just have mine!" I almost fell off the porch swing. It just needed a new wet canister and he ordered it for me this morning as a "you're a good daughter present"
No more Smoothie King for me.
Happy Dance!
Ging
Back to Top View Ging's Profile Search for other posts by Ging

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 06 2010 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

We've had ours for about a year now. We probably use it about 5/week on average.

::My husband makes a green smoothie about 4/week, health-nut-o that he is.

::We have smoothies about 3/week for either b-fast or snacks

::Sue Gregg's blender batter pancake or waffle mix. And also muffins and coffee cakes. This is originally why I wanted one....regular blenders don't last long when you're doing blender batters all the time.

:: Lots of sorbets and ice creams!!! It makes SUCH good ice cream and sorbet.

:: Hummus

:: Salad dressings...not a big deal....any blender could do those, but I'm listing anyway.

:: Last summer, I made lots of SALSA and COFFEE DRINKS.

:: Sauces for pasta....Artichoke Sauce and Pesto Sauce. I'd make them more often, but the kids don't like them.

:: Fruit syrups!!! Mainly Peach and Raspberry.

:: I got a deal on Ricotta cheese a couple months ago and made Tiramisu!!!

:: Soups. I've only done it a couple of times, but it TOTALLY WORKS! I don't know why I don't do it more.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 07 2010 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I did it! I took the plunge this morning . Thanks to a special helper, I purchased the Factory Reconditioned 5200 with Online Cooking Class. I used the Savings Code: 05-0897-05-02 for free shipping. Total cost: $411.21 with tx and handling charges.

Here's another tip I bumbled upon. I tried to place the order online but ran into a technical glitch so I was directed to call them to place the order. I did, and instead of only having the choice of white or black for the color, the customer service rep. offered me red. She said that sometimes they have red in but they don't always put in on the webpage. Although I don't have any red in my kitchen, I was half-tempted...but I went with the white. Just thought red fans would like to know.

Thanks again, all, and I look forward to swapping ideas with you...in about 14 days when it arrives!

Love,

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 07 2010 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Ging wrote:
It just needed a new wet canister and he ordered it for me this morning as a "you're a good daughter present"

Welcome, Ging! Congratulations on your good daugher award . I will look forward to hearing about how you integrate it into your days.

Love,

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 07 2010 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

yay, angie and welcome, ging!!

i want to try a green smoothie next. maybe tonight or tomorrow.

oooh, that red offer is mighty tempting. drool. except i might have nightmares about dave ramsey scolding me, so i better not.

mom to five

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version