Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: The stress of receiving sacraments.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 14 2010 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

This is one topic that doesn't come up much, one that I didn't realize until recently is a very real thing. I don't remember being stressed at all for FHC or confirmation, but I remember wishing that my wedding could just be over already.

However, in my ds, I definitely see signs of stress over FHC (or maybe he just likes to dive under the table when the subject is brought up ).

I think there is a difference between being unready to receive and just being really nervous and unsure about the big day. Over the past couple of days I have heard a couple of stories about boys having a hard time dealing with the hoopla, which has made me feel hugely better.

I'm sure lots of us have stories about what happened on "the day"....

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Amanda
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 14 2010 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote Amanda

I wasn't especially nervous about my own FHC (since I went through RCIA and was much too happy about it all!), but I am always very nervous during my children's baptisms. I always do at least one thing wrong or strangely (I remember I started to process at the wrong time at my first child's, and after my husband basically grabbed me by the clothing, I cried quietly in the pew for a while--very embarrassing). So, if a grown woman can be nervous about a sacrament she isn't even receiving, I can imagine how our children feel!

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2010 at 6:21am | IP Logged Quote LucyP

I was VERY anxious about being recieved into full communion as an adult (not because I had doubts or anything, just nerves) and found it awful to have to be at my children's baptisms, as I had never been to a baptism of a child before, we hadn't really talked to the priest, and our son who was about 4 was terrified which stressed me out a lot. Our wedding was not sacramental - just a civil cermemony, but I giggled and thought I would faint, so in one sense it was probably good that I was not in a proper wedding ceremony. I hate being looked at, find all social events very stressful so I am dreading all the sacraments to come.
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 15 2010 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

My FHC was definitely *back in the day*, when there was a 3 hour pre-Communion fast and we knelt side by side at the altar rail. Because the Mass was at 9 a.m., I really hadn't eaten since dinner the night before. Also, I was so frightened that the priest or altar boy would drop the host or that I would pull my tongue back too fast and the host would fall on the floor. I guess I had been too impressed with the *cautionary tales* that I"d been told about this kind of thing. All of this combined to give me major butterflies in the stomach, and that led to the new anxiety that I would *throw up Jesus*. So, yes, I was definitely stressed! None of those things happened, and I've never worried about any of it since.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version