Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Time for exercise? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Becky J
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 09 2010 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote Becky J

I always read that doctors recommend 30 minutes of aerobic exercise 5 days a week for general health, and 60 minutes of it 5 days a week for weight loss. Is meeting these recommendations realistic for parents of a growing family? How have you personally managed to squeeze exercise time into your life?

When I had just one child, it was pretty easy to strap her in a stroller or Bjorn and take a walk with her. Even with two small kids who could fit in a double stroller, getting some exercise was manageable. But I'm struggling to figure out a way to get out and get moving with 3 kids. Get a pricey double jogging stroller that can hold older kids? Get a pricey gym membership that includes child care? Ask my husband to watch the kids for an hour after work so I can get out of the house by myself? One thing I have tried is using exercise videos, but it's hard to get the kids to let me use one for even 30 minutes at a time, much less 60.

I know . . . excuses, excuses!   

Any tips that anyone has for getting exercise while caring for children . . . I would appreciate!

Thanks!
Becky

Back to Top View Becky J's Profile Search for other posts by Becky J

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 09 2010 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

you might check the thread on 10,000 steps

and try doing 10 minutes of exercise several times a day.

If you increase your energy output without increasing your calorie intake. So you might find that adding in just the 30 minutes a day would do just fine.

You could also dance around with the kids.. that is fun for everyone and definately is active

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 09 2010 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Oh- I was in the same boat as you until a year ago (though I only have two kids). Strolling them around became more difficult, with so many stops and starts that it was hardly aerobic. I did not want to take them to a germy gym nursery, and exercise videos flopped.... it just stirred up the kids into a frenzy to see me exercising in front of the TV.

But I really needed to exercise... I wanted to, and I was feeling very sluggish.
So, we started a family walk after dinner each day, weather permitting. With Dad along, things keep moving fairly well, and he pushes the jogging stroller for anyone who wants to ride. Also, it is a nice way for us all to reconnect at the end of the day.

Now, having said that, a year later I felt like I wanted to add in exercise on days when we couldn't walk outside. I tried both T-Tapp and the Leslie Sansone walking dvds and settled on Leslie, then started to make a regular commitment during Lent to walking five days a week.

Oh my goodness... it was the usual mayhem with the kids for the longest time. It took my ds most of Lent to adjust to this change in routine. He drove me bananas every morning- standing between me and the TV, hitting the pause button, always "needing" something when I was exercising. But I decided that I would not give up. Now he understands that I *am* going to exercise every morning for thirty minutes, and the sessions go much more smoothly. We also still walk in the evenings if the weather is good.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 09 2010 at 11:22pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

I use the Leslie Sansone videos too, but I have teens so maybe it is a little easier for me. I aim to walk 6 miles a day, doesn't always happen but that is my goal. I try to rise before everyone else and walk 3 miles so I don't have to depend on any help. Then later in the day while everyone is eating lunch (I usually eat my lunch while making theirs) I walk 2 miles, then at some point during the day I will squeeze another mile (or 2!) in before bed. It isn't perfect, but I have lost 2 and a half inches and my backend is, well, not so pronounced...

When my dh is home on the weekends I (try to) take advantage of the time and will walk a 4 mile and then a 2 or 3 mile later in the day. I just turned 37 and have given birth to 9 beautiful babies but I am so sick of looking like frump-girl. I won't spend what little youth I have left fat! So, I am very motivated. The exercise is building endurance and I have so much more energy during the day, it is so worth it.

I lost over 20 lbs using Leslie before and my kids were younger, I used to bribe them. I would give them some special treat, M&M's, whatever if they would sit and color at the table for me while I worked out...but I really recommend getting up before everyone and just do it. You will feel so far ahead of the game if you get your time in first.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 10 2010 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Maddie- you are so inspiring! How many miles have you walked now.... over 300?

Evette
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 10 2010 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote Evette

I have finally accepted the fact that I have to do it at 5:45 in the morning.

I have fought it for years. I tried to squeeze it in the morning after breakfast before school, after lunch during nap-time, or after dinner when my husband is home.

I could maybe get a couple workouts in a week, but not the 6 to 7 days I prefer and really need. I have pcos and the healthy life plan I am trying to follow suggests 90 minutes of moderate exercise everyday. These days I wake up, throw my on clothes and head outside. If it is raining, then I head down to the basement where I walk circles.

I just recently received an ipod and a pedometer for my birthday. They have really been great additions to my routine. I have the Rosary and the Divine Mercy Chaplet that I do first. Then I listen to free podcasts like Faith and Family Live. I plan on getting some audio books when I run out of free podcasts. The pedometer is cool. By the time I am done with my 90 minute walk, I have basically reached my 10,000 step goal. I still wear it all day though. Yesterday I had over 17,000 steps when I went to bed.

I do like the Leslie Sansone dvds, but getting outside in the fresh air really motivates me more.
Much to my surprise, I really enjoy waking before my family and walking while the sun is rising. I am also not near as tired as I thought I would be.
Back to Top View Evette's Profile Search for other posts by Evette

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2010 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

SeaStar wrote:
Maddie- you are so inspiring! How many miles have you walked now.... over 300?

I wish!

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 10 2010 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

You ladies who can exercise early in the morning are so lucky! I agree that is the ideal time. At my house, though, it is not possible to get up earlier than my ds. He is always the first one up, sometimes before six.

I exercise right after breakfast for thirty minutes. I would like to walk more miles, but that would throw off our school schedule and give us too late a start. Also- ds, who has been up since the crack of dawn, is generally looking for something to do besides watching me walk .

I do like the Leslie Sansone dvds for that very reason, though- I can eat breakfast and turn right around and start walking. I don't have to do it on an empty stomach.

D. Marie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 12 2010 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote D. Marie

I have to wait until "school time" is over and the baby is napping to exercise. I use the Wii Fit and try to log in 15 minutes a day. Otherwise, I will sometimes run up and down the stairs or will do leg raises while stirring a pot cooking dinner. I tell myself that little things like that will add up!

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2010 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

I'm an early-morning exerciser too (when I'm not nine months pregnant ). My husband and I switch days, so I go for a run on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. On the weekdays, I get an hour-long run and shower in before he leaves for work. He is on baby duty during that time. My two preschoolers wake up early (sometime before 6:30am), but they stay and play in their room every morning until I take over for my husband at 7am (when he leaves for work). On Saturdays, I don't usually head out until around 7am, and I do a longer run while my husband feeds the children breakfast.

The early time slot means that I have to go to bed earlier, but I do like to get my run out of the way in the morning--it is energizing, and I feel like I have accomplished a lot by breakfast time. And it's really my only option: nap time doesn't work for me with the ages of my children right now, and the evenings are the time I spend with my husband.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

AndieF
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 12 2010 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote AndieF

I am another one who finally had to come to grips with the fact that I would need to get up early (in my case 4:45 am) and go to the gym if I am going to exercise 5 days a week. I've tried doing it at home, I've tried doing it with kids around, I've tried doing it at the end of the day, and for ME, it just never consistently happens. So I joined a gym, and told people that I was going to be doing it, and just DID it. I've only been doing it for a month now, but it is finally starting to feel like a part of my day. I still don't love getting up that early, but I do like the fact that I'm losing weight and feeling healthier. (Oh, I also have to make sure and get in bed by 9 pm. That was key in being able to wake up early.)

Andie
Back to Top View AndieF's Profile Search for other posts by AndieF

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version