Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: Stained Baby Clothes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 09 2010 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

So, I just did the big switchover, and we just have a TON of clothes in the 18 month old size for summer. We came across a bunch of nice stuff at a yard sale when my second was that age--basically an entire wardrobe--and he was big enough already to not wear it the entire summer.

I just went through, and pulled out everything that is stained. Now, if I didn't have so much, I would probably use the stained stuff for play clothes, especially since they are sentimental having seen both my first two wear most of them.

But, I just can't justify keeping them in circulation, and you know how stains get worse while stuff is in storage.

Anyway, I know it is silly to give the stuff to goodwill since they couldn't sell it. I would feel bad giving it away, but it just seems awful to toss it. Is that what I have to do? Is there an option I'm missing?

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 09 2010 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Well you can give it away if you let people know that most of the stuff has some staining on it.. it would be good for play clothes and such.

I've had good luck with Zout getting even older baby stains out of the clothes.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 09 2010 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I do a lot of soaking in Oxiclean and detergent to get the stains out. I was just doing that with some of our clothes. It takes some long soaks sometimes....

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Bethany
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 09 2010 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote Bethany

I just pulled out newborn clothes that had been in storage for almost 2 years and everything was stained. The best ever stain removal is a recipe from Tightwad Gazette:

One cup color safe bleach
One cup powdered dish washing detergent
Five Gallons of the hottest tap water

Soak overnight then wash

I do this by setting my washing machine to a small load setting and doubling the amounts above. I let it agitate a little then in the morning I spin then start the wash again with detergent. I was able to get every piece of clothing clean and usable. I've even been know to buy the stained items at the Salvation Army because I know more likely than not I will be able to get the stain out.

Oh, and only one time have I ever bleached something doing this and it was something that had been washed numerous times. I think it was just a fluke.

So if you're interested in saving some you might as well try this, it really works great!

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 09 2010 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

Well, if you don't manage to get the stains out, and don't want to give them away, you could always have your husband use them in the garage (or yourself within the house for household cleaning and such).    My husband is a pretty handy guy ~ he's always working in the garage on motorcycles, changing the oil in our vehicles, gun-smithing, welding, coal forging, and is always in need of a "rag". We have a basket next to his work bench that I toss all of our poop and avacodo stained onezies and tee-shirts in, I even toss my girls' old panties that have holes, jammies with holes, old socks, just about *whatever*.

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 09 2010 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote KC in TX

The Ladies of Charity group at our church collects them and gives them to a mission. I just found out about it. These stained clothes are usually used as scraps in third world countries or are cut up for other uses.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 10 2010 at 1:55am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Bethany wrote:
I The best ever stain removal is a recipe from Tightwad Gazette:

One cup color safe bleach
One cup powdered dish washing detergent
Five Gallons of the hottest tap water

Soak overnight then wash

Bethany

Is this successful with mildewed clothes too?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version