Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
We Pray to the Lord
 4Real Forums : We Pray to the Lord
Subject Topic: For my grandmother and our baby Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 21 2006 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote amyable

We believe my grandmother is dying. She is 91(!) and was taken to the hospital over the weekend with congestive heart failure. When and if she returns to her assisted living facility, she'll be in hospice care. My family is asking for a peaceful death for her. My parents need to travel from here to 1000 miles away today to see her and most likely say goodbye. So I would appreciate prayers also for their safety in travel.

As for the baby (9 months), she is had a stomach virus in the beginning of January and has never really fully recovered (it doesn't help that she's had 3-4 bad colds in that time - I don't know where she gets these things! ). She is stooling all day long and all I do is check and change diapers! She acts fine, other than having a cold and a diaper rash from the constant contact with p**p, and is not dehydrated, so I kept hoping she would just get over it when her cold virus cleared up. Unfortunately, her cold viruses just keep coming... I finally have a call in to the doctor to see what she says. Please pray that A) she gets better B) I say everything I need to say on the phone and am understood by the triage nurse, and C) wisdom for the medical professionals. I don't want to put her through a bunch of unnecessary tests if it's really just something she needs time to heal from.

Oh and a prayer for my sanity would be appreciated, lol ... my kids never seem to get a textbook case of anything and I'm always second guessing myself...

Thanks

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 21 2006 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Amy,

Prayers for your grandmother and safe trip for your parents. And for you say...saying goodbye is hard, and not being there can be harder!

And prayers for your baby. Have you ruled out the possibility that this could be allergy related? Dare I say, FOOD allergy related?

And finally big hugs and prayers for you! God is blessing you especially this winter!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2006 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote amyable

jenngm67 wrote:
   Have you ruled out the possibility that this could be allergy related? Dare I say, FOOD allergy related?

Thanks Jenn - dare I say I *think* it is NOT allergy related. I am eating very "clean" and can't see rhyme or reason to what is going on with her. Up until a week or two ago she wasn't eating anything herself, so that wasn't an issue. It hasn't gotten any better or worse with her eating a few cheerios.

In a way I almost wish it WAS allergy related because then I would know what to do and it would clear up. But noooooo....   

I feel like Mother Theresa saying "I know God won't give me anything I can't handle but I just wish He wouldn't trust me so much!"

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2006 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Amy, We will be praying for your grandmother and your little baby throughout the day today.

God Bless,
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2006 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

Amy,
Your family is in our prayers. Are you nursing her? Do you drink alot of milk/eat alot of dairy products? When my youngest was just a few months old we had this exact problem, a stomach bug that just wouldn't go away, plus stuffy/runny nose and wet cough. I gave up all dairy and she improved dramatically. ALso, if her good intestinal bacteria are out of balance due to illness, lactose intolerance, etc. it may help to give her soy formula. Even if you're nursing a bottle of soy formula a day may help. I pray your baby girl gets better (soon!), your parents have a safe trip and your grandmother to return to hospice for a peaceful end to her earthly life.
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 21 2006 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I was thinking other things like what's listed on this site like milk and soy protein intolerance (MSPI), eosinophilic esophagitis, gastroenteritis, or colitis, food protein-induced enterocolitis syndrome (FPIES), or allergic colitis. Extreme suggestions, but when food allergy reactions are from so many different kinds of foods, it might be more than just(!) food allergies. But I'm sure you've considered these things.

You've "been there, done that" with your kids, so I'm probably preaching to the choir.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2006 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Prayers for your grandmother, Amy, as well as for your parents' safe travel ...

Praying also for your baby, that she recovers soon, and then you can rest easy ...

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2006 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote amyable

Thanks for the food allergy ideas - I've been off of all dairy, soy, eggs, citrus, tomato, cinnamon, and mustard for months now. The only other typical "baby allergen" I still eat is wheat/gluten but it has never bothered her before, and I would eat a ton of it because I wasn't eating all those other things! Sorry to be so detailed...just thinking out loud here. I constantly go over stuff like this in my head to see if there is anything I'm missing.

The triage nurse just called me back and we had a very good talk (thanks to the prayers!) and so I now need to make up a log of today, and a general log of what has happened over the past 1.5 months and bring it to an appointment tomorrow at 2 PM. Keep praying! And THANKS!!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 21 2006 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

amyable wrote:
Thanks for the food allergy ideas - I've been off of all dairy, soy, eggs, citrus, tomato, cinnamon, and mustard for months now. The only other typical "baby allergen" I still eat is wheat/gluten but it has never bothered her before, and I would eat a ton of it because I wasn't eating all those other things! Sorry to be so detailed...just thinking out loud here. I constantly go over stuff like this in my head to see if there is anything I'm missing.

Amy,

I'd say that it would be wheat...especially if you were eating a lot. She might have developed resistance to it. Eliminating the "Big 8" would be my first guess: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Milk, Eggs, Fish, Shellfish, Wheat,
Soy.

For my son, I had eliminated dairy and saw an improvement, but I was doing a lot of wheat, like you. Then I found out wheat was his highest allergen, eliminated it from my diet and he was LOADS better. Things I didn't even recognize as symptoms suddenly cleared up.

I can give suggestions on the wheat stuff...and Elizabeth eliminated it her from her diet, so she might have some suggestions. The first 10 days are the hardest...

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2006 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote amyable

But would she *all of a sudden* get sick like this at 8-9 months old? I've been eating a ton of wheat all along with no real effects - and trust me, I *look* for affect of food allergies and think ANYTHING can be food allergy related, lol! She seemed fine until the beginning of January when we all got a slight stomach virus. She just hasn't improved since then. Maybe the stomach virus set her off???

I forgot I'm also off all nuts due to nut allergies here. I do eat fish (no shellfish) but only occasionally and haven't noticed any correspondance between eating it and symptoms in her.

Well, I guess I'll talk to the doctor tomorrow and see what she thinks, then consider giving up wheat too. I think that is a good Lenten sacrifice on top of my other foods I can't eat. If you see a 5'4", graying, stick of a woman walk by, it will be me.

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2006 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

Praying here, Amy. It sounds like you've got a lot on your plate right now. I'm glad we can offer our prayers for your intentions!

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version