Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Ugh. Chicken again. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 25 2010 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I'm just tired of chicken, but right now it seems like it is the cheapest healthy protein I can provide my family. In preparation for my grandsons coming back to live with us next week I've purchased a bunch of boneless breasts and leg quarters on sale so my freezer is full of them, but I am quite frankly sick to death of all of my usual recipes for chicken.
Can you wonderful creative ladies hit me with your best, newest, or favorite chicken breast/leg quarter recipes so I can "spice up" my chicken repertoire?
Pretty please????

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 25 2010 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I think my kids could eat fried chicken and mashed potatoes most days of the week happily

Sometimes it's just a matter of a different seasoning. In the summer I love having grilled chicken.. but always having bbq chicken gets boring.. so I do dry rubs with spices.. rosemary and lemon pepper for instance or cajun seasoning instead of just bbq.

Cooking chicken strips instead of larger pieces can change things up too.

What about a nice chinese flavored marinade.. like a terriyaki.. and then serve it with rice. I have a lovely marinade around here somewhere that uses ginger in it.. yummy and I use it on both beef and chicken.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2010 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Here's a favorite:

Spicy Orange Chicken

ingredients
•     2 oranges
•     1 tablespoon cooking oil
•     2 10-ounce packages baby spinach
•     1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
•     1 teaspoon honey
•     1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
•     1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
•     1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
•     1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast strips
•     1/4 teaspoon salt
•     1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
•     3 cloves garlic, minced
directions
1.     Remove peel and white membrane from 1 of the oranges. Section orange; set aside. Squeeze enough juice from the remaining orange to measure 1/3 cup; set aside. In a 4-quart Dutch oven, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil over medium heat. Add spinach; cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or just until slightly wilted, stirring occasionally. Drain and transfer to 4 serving dishes or a serving platter. Cover and keep warm.
2.     Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the 1/3 cup orange juice, the soy sauce, honey, ginger, cornstarch, and crushed red pepper. Set aside.
3.     Sprinkle chicken with salt and black pepper. Wipe out Dutch oven with a paper towel. In Dutch oven, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook and stir for 30 seconds. Add chicken; cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Stir orange juice mixture; add to chicken in Dutch oven. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more.
4.     To serve, arrange orange sections on top of spinach. Spoon chicken mixture over oranges and spinach. Makes 4 servings.

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 25 2010 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

ahhaha.... i was just thinking the same thing this morning. the kids are too happy with fried chicken though.   

some ideas:

stuffed breasts
- with cream cheese (or strained yogurt) + mashed up garlic and minced scallions -- you can just bake these rolled up, or if you want to get fancier, dip in flour-egg-breadcrumbs, pan-fry briefly before baking

spicy korean chicken -- i have to find my recipe, may have it somewhere on my blog or a blog i used to write, but you can google it -- it's properly called ddak dori tang or something similar...

i have more, but no time right now.... i'm sure others will chime in. :)

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2010 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Currently, this is my family's favorite chicken recipe:

Chicken Cacciatore by Giada De Laurentis

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 25 2010 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

As I type, I'm making Cottage Cheese Chicken Enchiladas. I first tried it just to use up some extra cottage cheese. Now I purchase cottage cheese to make them! Yum!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2010 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

When we get tired of chicken I tend to "hide" it in recipes that I know everyone enjoys with other meat, such as beef. Mixing it into black beans and rice, chili, spaghetti sauce, fajitas and such has gone over well here. Chicken is great in many soup recipes. We also make an inexpensive Chicken Alfredo, with lots of garlic. I make lots of casseroles and soup to stretch our protein, too. The family joke in our household is that Mom uses meat like a condiment!

A real family favorite is chicken pizza....homemade flavored pizza crust (par-baked for 5 min.) thinly coated with Ranch or Vidalia onion salad dressing or BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's, if we have it), then topped with provolone, Italian blend, parmesan or mozarrela cheese; with various toppings including green or ripe olives; sliced onion; sliced mushroom; bacon bits; pineapple tidbits and of course shredded chicken. We've had lots of fun coming up with variations for build-your-own-pizza meals, when extended family visits. It's really interesting to taste the different combinations that everyone comes up with.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2010 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Thanks ladies! Wow! I went to get a cup of coffee and came back to some great recipes already!!! Very different from my usual recipes, which is just what I need!

Helen wrote:
Currently, this is my family's favorite chicken recipe:

Chicken Cacciatore by Giada De Laurentis

Helen, I made this *exact* recipe for the first time last week! How funny! It was a big hit, btw. Great minds think alike, they say!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2010 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

I'm getting hungry.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2010 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

lapazfarm wrote:

Helen, I made this *exact* recipe for the first time last week! How funny! It was a big hit, btw. Great minds think alike, they say!

Thanks Theresa! Isn't it great when everyone likes the dinner?

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 25 2010 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

ladybugs wrote:
Here's a favorite:

Spicy Orange Chicken

Oh, yum, Maria - it sounds great!

We do a chicken "scampi" I love - need to post when I can get the recipe out.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 25 2010 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

OK this is for skewered beef.. I use it with chicken as well. I don't think I've ever broiled it.. usually it goes on the bbq.

1 pound beef flank steak
2 T vegetable oil
2 t soy sauce
1 t finely chopped ginger (I grate it)
1 t sugar
1 t salt
1 t dry white wine (I've done red with the beef)
1/4 t white pepper
1 medium onion

Cut beef steak across grain into 1/8 inch strips. Toss beef with all ingredients except onion in a glass or plastic bowl. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes (or longer)

Set oven control to broil. Cut onion into 1 inch chunks. Thread beef and onion on bamboo skewers. Browil owith tops about 4 inches from heat about 6 minutes. Turning once, until done.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2010 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

We love diced up chicken meat with homemade mayo (processed with chives) raisins, grapes, red pepper, celery on a bed of lettuce...mmm different and refreshing for spring!
I am hungry too..

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 25 2010 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I make a variation of the Barefoot Contessa's Caesar Club Sandwich that we really love!

It's nice and light for spring/summer eating, and roasting the chicken in the oven is so much easier than having to deal with chicken in a pot...to me anyway!

I leave off the anchovy paste, and though the pancetta is really good, sometimes I just substitute bacon or fried ham or nothing at all. The combo of roasted chicken, fresh parmesan, peppery arugula and the homemade caesar dressing is super YUM!!!

I'm totally BORED out of my mind with chicken and having a hard time motivating in the kitchen at all lately. This thread is a good shot in the arm for me as well! Thanks for asking, Theresa!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2010 at 2:26pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

JodieLyn wrote:

What about a nice chinese flavored marinade.. like a terriyaki.. and then serve it with rice. I have a lovely marinade around here somewhere that uses ginger in it..

Our new favorite is Teriyaki chicken thighs. It's on our 13 y.o. son's list of dinners he makes for us. I never thought I could eat a thigh but these are soooo delicious.

Marinate in Soy/Br.Sugar/garlic/ginger combination for a couple of hours and heat a little oil to med/high, then get them good and crispy on the skin side (you can use drumsticks also) drain the oil and add the teriyaki sauce and finish cooking.

Another new favorite is a large pizza crust rolled out in a square, then in the middle add diced cooked chicken, brocolli, ranch dressing, a little onion and mushrooms and fold up the sides or braid them on top, then bake for about 30 min. at 375-400deg.

I'm trying all of the recipes soon....Sunflower market has boneless chicken strips on sale this week for $1.77/lb~!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 25 2010 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

We don't actually have boneless skinless very often, but one of my family's favorites my mom used to make is

LEMON PEPPER CHICKEN
1 pkg Unsweetnened Lemonade Kool-Aid
2/3 c sugar
2/3 c warm water
3 T oil
1 tsp salt and 1 T black pepper
6-8 boneless chicken breast

Mix marinade ingredients in bowl and stir to dissolve sugar and salt. Add chicken breast and marinate for 6-8 hours or overnight. Discard marinade and grill.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 25 2010 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I like this recipe:

Put chicken breasts in a crock pot. Dump in some jars of salsa. Let it all cook on low for several hours. Then shred the chicken with a fork... yummy filling for tacos, burritos, served over rice or with chips...

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 25 2010 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

We do what Melinda does, but add in black beans (1 can or 2 cups - I put them in frozen) and about a cup of corn.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 25 2010 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

aha! i'm copying that tonight. i have chicken waiting to be cooked, salsa that needs to be finished, and black beans i pre-cooked for black beans and rice but now i'm too swamped for that. i happen to have corn too! perfect!!

thanks gals!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Martha in VA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 25 2010 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote Martha in VA

Ooooh, I've got a new favorite easy chicken recipe!!

Chicken with Marinated Artichoke Hearts

thawed chicken breasts (6-8)
1 large jar of marinated artichoke hearts from Sam's Club
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
2 heaping tablespoons mayo

Season Chicken with salt and pepper and bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees. While chicken bakes, pour half of the jar of artichokes into the blender and chop (but don't puree). Mix artichokes, cheese, and mayo and pour over chicken. Bake another 20 minutes or so.

Serve over rice or egg noodles. This is really, really yummy.

Martha

Our Family Blog
Back to Top View Martha in VA's Profile Search for other posts by Martha in VA Visit Martha in VA's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version