Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Female problems and decisions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 10 2010 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote LisaD

I visited my ob/gyn yesterday for a problem that's been going on for over a year now. Really heavy, long bleeding during my cycles. In January, the bleeding lasted 22 days, this month I'm on day 14. My doctor did another endometrial biopsy, and I have an ultrasound coming up. If the biopsy is positive, I have a hysterectomy. Very straight-forward. However, if it is benign, I need to decide on treatment. These are the options my doctor discussed with me:

1) Endometrial ablation. Freezing of the lining of the uterus. It would greatly reduce or eliminate any bleeding. However, since I am still ovulating, I could still conceive, but the baby would not be able to implant. So, then, I suppose I would have to rely on temps and secondary ovulation symptoms to avoid that time, since it's possible I wouldn't have a period.

2) BCP. This would be band-aid on the problem, since at my age (44), I couldn't take them longer than a year. And what is the rule, if they are taken to treat a medical condition (not as contraception)? Would we avoid the time when I would be ovulating (even though bcp suppresses ovulation)? And what to do after a year, if the problem resumes?

3) Hysterectomy? Is it legitimate to consider this when I am still ovulating and could potentially still conceive? It has been five years since my last pregnancy, but still...

4) Do nothing. This option makes me want to cry, but if this is the cross I am being asked to carry, I will. My iron levels are being monitored, and anemia is the biggest problem with this option. But, that is treatable on its own.

We are praying about this. DH just wants me to feel better, and has said he'll support whatever I choose to do (but he really doesn't like option number 4).

Does anyone have experience with this problem, or further knowledge of these treatments?

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 10 2010 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Lisa-

I wish I could give you advice... but I can only say I am praying for you.

I don't think treating this for health reasons would be considered wrong, especially when you have other children that you need to be able to care for.
If you are having heavy bleeding and mental anxiety so many days each month, how can you care for your family?

A friend of mine who is a devout Catholic and has 8 children and has always been open to life had to make a similar painful decision last year. She had polycystic ovaries, and the pain was so intense she could not get out of bed some days to care for her children. She had a total hysterectomy with great sadness, but it was for medical reasons, so she was able to accept that.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 10 2010 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Have you considered any other option.. do nothing won't help you much. And I believe there are options for helping nutritionally, and with supplements in "Fertility, Cycles, and Nutrition" by Marilyn Shannon. It's at least something you could look into before having to make a decision.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2010 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Lisa, I was in a similar situation at 42. I also had sever bleeding with my pregnancies, placental abruptions, etc. Hysterectomy was really my only option. I'm praying for you.

LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2010 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

have you been tested for genetic bleeding disorders? von Willebrand's, or APS ?(sometimes called Hughes syndrome or Antiphospoholipid Antibody Syndrome).

I was scheduled for a pre-consult for uterine ablation, and decided to get a 4th opinion.
this Dr. finally pieced everything together, from what I told her - and ordered the proper blood tests.
thankfully I did not go through with the surgery!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2010 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

I went through this at 35. I will be praying for you. There are no easy answers. Getting another opinion might make you feel better about the choice you make.

Blessings,

mathmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2010 at 5:03am | IP Logged Quote mathmama

JodieLyn wrote:
Have you considered any other option.. do nothing won't help you much. And I believe there are options for helping nutritionally, and with supplements in "Fertility, Cycles, and Nutrition" by Marilyn Shannon. It's at least something you could look into before having to make a decision.

This is what I was going to recommend. This is a great book and a new edition just came out and I have heard that it is much improved (didn't even know that was possible!).

Veronica 10/09
Theodora 11/12
Back to Top View mathmama's Profile Search for other posts by mathmama

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2010 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote Chris V

Lisa, I will be praying for you, as you decide what to do.

As others have mentioned, there may be another option out there for you that an allopathic doctor may not consider. Perhaps you could consult a reputable Naturopath in your area? A naturopathic doctor would consider your entire being (physical, emotional, spiritual) all aspect of life, and may be able to offer counsel on nutritional supplements, alternative therapies, etc.

A dear friend of mine was having very similar problems (in fact, I actually know two women who were), they are both in my Bible study group, the first had such success with the Naturopath that she recommended her to our other friend, who is now seeking her advice as well.

I will be praying for you!

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2010 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote Christine

As Chris mentioned, a Naturopath might be a good way to go. A friend of mine was given similar options as yours for abnormal bleeding.   She visited a Naturopath and was told to take cinnamon tablets and phosphorous. The Naturopath also monitors her progesterone and estrogen levels, giving her progesterone when necessary. She has gone on to have six more children.

You are in my prayers, as you try to make this difficult decision.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2010 at 3:30pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

I really have no advice, but you have my prayers and sympathy. May you find answers and relief, friend. Keep us updated?   

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version