Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Movie List 2010 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 06 2010 at 7:16am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Well, chari said we need a 2010 list - I didn't realize we hadn't been posting movies yet this year!

Here's what I've watched recently:

Something the Lord Made - story of the man who pioneered heart surgery in babies for "Blue Baby", and his black lab assistant who did much of the actual work. Fabulous!
Samantha, Molly, Felicity, and Kit American Girl movies - lumped all together here for simplicity's sake. I have been surprised at how much we've enjoyed these movies - I expected them to be really cheesy but they weren't. I've not been a big fan of the dolls b/c of the $$$ and their straying away from the historical dolls/costumes and more into modern teenage-type clothing but I like these movies a lot.
The Prince and the Pauper - pretty good for the family
Dennis the Menace - OK, cute parts but there is a scene early on where Dennis is telling Mrs. Wilson about how his parents "wrestle" with their shirts off on Sunday mornings.....
The Princess Bride- OK, I've seen this at least 15 times now but it's still a big favorite.
Eight Below- loved it, didn't realize it was serious/sad.
We Are Marshall- tearjerker but I was expecting it.
Greyfriar's Bobby - cute story about a dog's loyalty to his master

and one other movie I cannot recall the name of, but got it specifically b/c it was mentioned somewhere here (now I can't find the post) - about a man who dies and leaves his money to his nephew but he has to do certain tasks to get it, and learns life lessons - something about the greatest gift? Anyway it was fantastic.

Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 06 2010 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

My kids are watching Princess Bride as I type. They have watched it before but, for some reason, they are stuck on it now. They watched it yesterday as well.

I started watching The Time Traveller's Wife but I just couldn't finish it. Not because I didn't like it but I think it was because it just didn't grab me. It was just so-so and I didn't see the purpose in finishing it. I am hoping to start it again sometime and maybe my impressions will change.

MusingsofaPrairieGirl
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 06 2010 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I just came back from taking my 7ds to Alvin and Chipmunks II. I was cute. I enjoyed myself more that I expected to.

Last night we watched The Guns of Navorone from Netflix instant watch. A good war movie.

But my absolute favorite movie(s) so far this year is the Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency series. They are delightful. So well done.I think you will enjoy it even if you haven't read the books (neither my kids nor my dh have read them). I hope they come out with a second season.

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 06 2010 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

We watched Padre Pio: between heaven and earth and LOVED IT!!!!! My husband really liked it.

It was pretty intense and too much blood at the beginning, so my girls didn't watch it. But after the first third or so, it would probably be ok. I'm thinking they would like it after this and we could FF through some of the "boring adult conversations" and political stuff.   

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 06 2010 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

Hmmm...what have we watched?

DH didn't like The 13th Day: The True Story of Fatima - I didn't think it was that bad. We're watching Clare and Francis, and although dh is not in a hurry to finish it, he has learned things about about St. Francis that he didn't know. I'm enjoying it.

We both really liked Julie and Julia and Stardust.
Although it got terrible reviews, we loved Did You Hear About the Morgans?
We really liked watching both versions of The Manchurian Candidate back to back.
We finally watched UP with the kids - who thought it was too sad. First Pixar movie we haven't loved.
Deja Vu was pretty good.
The Day The Earth Stood Still with Keanu Reeves was not very memorable.

We didn't like Walk The Line and Seven Pounds was a huge mistake.

I watched Sweet Land by myself one night and thought it was very good - inspired me to read "My Antonia".

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 06 2010 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Stephanie wrote:
I watched Sweet Land by myself one night and thought it was very good -
I TOTALLY LOVED THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!! I need to watch it again when dh is out of town! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for those of you who haven't watched it!

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2010 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

We've recently watched
The Reluctant Saint about St Joseph of cupertino - excellent!

Alice in Wonderland - the new one. I was hesitant, considering it's a Tim Burton movie, who's pretty weird and Johnny Depp in it, also pretty strange. But after reading some reviews we took a chance and I thought it was very well done. A few tiny little innuendo moments but those passed right by my kids' notice and were not bad. Strong battle scene but no worse than the Narnia movies. And the movie actually combines AiW (not my favorite book at all) with the Jabberwocky poem, which I do like.

The Princess and the Frog - umm, storyline was cute but strong voodoo scenes, calling evil spirits to come and get something, etc.

Ken Burns Lewis and Clark - excellent as most of his are. netflix has this on instant download.

Karen T

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 31 2010 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

We've been watching 'a few' movies lately, in my pathetic-evening-state-1st-trimester-state, so here are the results:

OK/So-So:
:: Love Happens - not great.
:: Public Enemy - John Dillenger movie. Liked it. Pretty intense--had to close my eyes on several occasions
:: Confessions of a Shopaholic - stupid
:: The Ugly Truth - Katherine Heigl - liked it. not one of my favorites w/ her, but ok.
:: Drillbit Taylor - my husband is definitely starting to take advantage of my pathetic-state and is starting to bring home movies like this one, thinking I won't notice!

REALLY LIKED:

:: The Reckoning -- really good! Can't believe we hadn't seen this! 1300 England, mystery-crime-solving, theatrical troupe. ....a young priest who has broken his vow of chastity and in turn becomes a fugitive, escaping from his fellow monks and their judgment. Posing as an actor in a traveling acting troupe, Nicholas, along with the actors, discovers that a young woman convicted of killing a boy is actually innocent and the troupe sets out to prove her innocence by incorporating the crime into their plays.

:: The Blind Side -- Great! Although I can do w/out S. Bullock's sl--zy mom-clothing!

:: The Hurt Locker -- Really good!! But INTENSE & lots of swearing. The beginning scene is the worst...so just close your eyes at the beginning and stick with it!

:: The Young Victoria - loved it!!! Didn't want it to end!!!

:: Edge of Darkness - Mel Gibson. Holy Cow!!!!   Really Good!!!!!!!

:: Monsters, Inc -- the whole family watched this finally, and no one cried!

:: The girls and I watched Love Finds a Home from Janette Oke's Love Comes Softly Series. This is the first one they've watched and they LOVED IT! I'm so excited, because I love these crazy movies! Now, we can start at the beginning and we can all be in Love-Comes-Softly-HEAVEN when my husband is out of town!

Karen T wrote:
Eight Below- loved it, didn't realize it was serious/sad.

We LOVE this movie, Karen! It's really good! We've watched it every year in March or so, around Iditarod time.

Anyone else have a few movies they've watched lately?

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 31 2010 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

We really enjoyed THE BLIND SIDE, too!

Oh, and YOUNG VICTORIA was just lovely, and my husband liked it as well.

I came across an oldie, LT. ROBIN CRUSOE, with Dick Van Dyke. Lots of island princesses chasing him, but my boys really loved the chimp and the military scenes.

We just started watching a series from my early childhood that I don't remember much except that I liked it, FIVE MILE CREEK. The first disc is good if a tad scary with some bad guys. It takes place in Australia with some American characters, and is good "pioneer fare." Overall, its good for the whole family.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 31 2010 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

CrunchyMom wrote:

I came across an oldie, LT. ROBIN CRUSOE, with Dick Van Dyke. Lots of island princesses chasing him, but my boys really loved the chimp and the military scenes.

We saw this not too long ago also! I enjoy Dick Van Dyke in kids' movies.

A few weeks ago I watched The 13th Day - excellent.

also, Hachi - I came across this at our library, had never heard of it (was it ever even in the theaters?) but it was rated G and was about a dog, so I got it for the family. It has Richard Gere and Jason Alexander, which surprised me for a G movie but it was quite good. Warning, though, it's a real tear-jerker. and at the end they say it's a true story, although the setting/time period has been changed.

Karen

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 31 2010 at 10:54pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

I really liked Molokai.
I watched Fiddler On The Roof again. I haven't seen it in so long and forgot how good it is! We've been too busy to watch much - just working our way through LOST as we have time.

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

DianaC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 19 2010 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote DianaC

We went to see Karate Kid this week and were visually delighted with all of the footage of China. The storyline was very well done as well.

This was the first time in quite a while that my family has been to see a movie in the theatre - and it was like a movie/field trip to China combined.
Back to Top View DianaC's Profile Search for other posts by DianaC

*Lindsey*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 24 2010 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote *Lindsey*

We saw the new Robing Hood with Russell Crowe and liked it.

We took the two oldest kids to see Toy Story 3 and liked it, too.

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2010 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

We just watched Andre last night. It was a gem (got it from Netflix). Warning, there are a few bad words, and some teens smoking (they get in trouble, though) but the story was charming (and based on a true one). Plus, it's full of 60's music that I love! My only beef - the story is about a seal but they used a sea lion to portray him!

Earlier last week we watched A Ring of Bright Water, also from Netflix, about an otter adopted by a man. It was cute and very mild, no language that I recall, but it does have a sad ending.

karen

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 13 2010 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Dh and I just watched Taking Chance last night. This is just a wonderful, heartfelt movie. Very pro-military, pro-America. It's about a real life story of a Marine officer accompanying (witnessing) the remains of a Marine across the United States to his home town for the funeral.

Just wonderful, and I would add this to the patriotic collection of movies.

Taking Chance -- we rented it from NetFlix.

It is really decent, as it doesn't show any gore, one bad word, s**t.

The body is never shown completely, never his face, just a hand while they are cleaning the blood, and blood off his personal possessions.

A whole box of tissue is required though. I didn't stop weeping one minute. It is really, really moving.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 27 2010 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Has anyone seen the new Ramona movie? I think it is called Beezus and Ramona. I have heard that it is very good, especially in how the dad relates to his daughters.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2010 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Last week we watched Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken, an old disney movie we found for instant download on Netflix. It's about a girl who rides a horse that dives off a platform into water - sounded bizarre but apparently it was based on a true story, and this was a traveling act during the Depression. Very surprising ending.

A few weeks ago we watched St. John Bosco, the Ignatius movie, also from Netflix. It was over 3 hours long but we all loved it. I have St. John of the Cross on the way

Karen

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2010 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

We watched St. Anthony from Netflix last weekend and loved it. I have to get the Don Bosco one next.

Karen, have you watched Karol the Man Who Became Pope (also available through NF)? It is GREAT!

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 30 2010 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

No, I haven't seen that one - just added it to my queue! Thanks!

I loved St. Anthony also but didn't have the kids watch it b/c it's only subtitled in English. I own the Padre Pio one also and it's great, but a little too scary in parts for young ones.

Karen

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 18 2010 at 4:48pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Last night the kids and I watched a cute movie from Netflix called Station Jim. It's a BBC movie, unrated. I think there might have been 1 bad word in the whole movie, 1-2 times but went by so quickly my kids never even noticed it.

It's about a dog adopted by a railroad porter as a sort of mascot and how he helps save an orphanage. Cute little kid also- I don't know his name but he's in a lot of the British films - he played in Nanny McPhee, Five children and It and several others.

Karen

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version