Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: mastitis...again Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 02 2010 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote Jess

I have mastitis again. This is the 5th time since January. The first 3 times I nursed it out. The 3rd time I also did the vit c and phytolacca decandra. The 4th time was so bad (both sides) I decided to do antibiotics. That was a week ago Sunday. I am still taking the antibiotics and last night I woke up with a knot on the left side, chilled, and had a headache and body aches. This morning I see the red streaks.

What could be going on? How could I get it again while on antibiotics?
Any help would be so appreciated!

Oh I am tandem nursing my almost 3 yr old and 5 month old.

wife to dh('96)
mama to dd(13), dd(11), ds(9), dd(6), and dd (2), and baby girl born Sept 14!
star cottage

Back to Top View Jess's Profile Search for other posts by Jess

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 02 2010 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote Chris V

Oh dear Jess! It may be that your body has built up a resistence to the antibiotic of that particular type; new strains of bacteria may be present, or perhaps, perhaps, this new ailment is not bacterial? But rather a nasty clog causing similar symptoms? (just tossing out some ideas).

When I had mastitis, right around Thanksgiving of this past year, I began a regimen of my trusty garlic tonic:

A tall glass of warm water, mixed with three cloves of raw garlic (chopped into tiny pieces, for ease of swallowing), a heaping tablespoon of honey, the juice of a freshly squeezed lemon. Give it all a good stir and bottoms up! I did this about three times a day, from the onset of symptoms.

I also use homeopathy, but in cases such as this, I always refer to my Classical Homeopath for proper remedies. Silicia worked very well for me this past time, but my homeopath reviews all my presenting symptoms, which may be different each time. Although, I know that Phytolacca is typically very, very effective with mastitis, mine was successfully treated with Silicia.

Just speaking in general terms, antibiotics are detrimental to the health of your immune system, are you taking a good probiotic to counter the effects of the antibiotic? Extra Vitamin C, Larix, Quercetin, Emergen-C, are all good for infection, lots of rest and sleep.

I'll be praying for your return to health!

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 02 2010 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

cranberry can help with mastitis as well.. as a preventative even..

Any new undergarments? perhaps a purse or baby carrier you haven't used before that could be putting pressure on spots and encouraging mastitis?

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 02 2010 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote Chris V

...very true Jodie! I cannot wear underwire bras while nursing, every time I've ever tried, it always resulted in mastitis! Lesson learned.

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 02 2010 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Usually recurrant mastitis in a short time frame is not having really recovered from initial bout. Not all antibiotics are egaully effective against the usual strains of bacteria found in mastitis.

From Dr. Jack Newman's site:
Quote:
Amoxycillin, plain penicillin, and many other antibiotics often prescribed for mastitis are usually useless for mastitis. If you need an antibiotic, you need one that is effective against Staphylococcus aureus. Effective for this bacterium are: cephalexin, cloxacillin, flucloxacillin, amoxycillin-clavulinic acid, clindamycin and ciprofloxacin. The last two are effective for mothers allergic to penicillin. You can and should continue breastfeeding with all these medications.

Also, were all 5 experiences of this associated with the fever, chills, body aches, red streaks - or have some just been the lump and soreness? Also, is recurrance in same location or variable. I notice this time past time you mention it being both sides.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 02 2010 at 11:19am | IP Logged Quote Jess

Ok I am going to try to answer all the questions in this post.

I rarely take antibiotics so I don't know if a resistance is an issue, it has been almost 3 yrs since I last took any. I am drinking Kefir and will take a diflucan after the antibiotics just in case. The phytolacca seemed to work in the past but it still came back.

No new undergarments, I don't ever wear underwire. Nothing else new. I have a sling that I use, but I have used it since our 5 month old was born.

The anitbiotic I am taking is dicloxicillin, is that a good one?
All 5 times I have had chills and body aches and a sore spot. That is how it starts. And then I have the red streaks. The first 3 times it was on the left side in around the same spot. The 4th time it was on the right side really bad and in a different spot on the left side but not as bad. This time it is on the left side in a different place. It doesn't seem to be coming back in the same place. The 4th time I couldn't even wear a bra it hurt so bad.

Oh I am just so tired of this!

wife to dh('96)
star cottage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 02 2010 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

You don't have to be resistant to the antibiotics.. the bacteria may be resistant.

And I know it'll be difficult but.. are you resting? you need to give your body time to heal.. and that means resting.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 02 2010 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote Jess

That is absolutely the hardest thing...
My dh is deployed and 3 of my kids are smack in the middle of sports. Plus we are trying to get our house ready to put on the market this month. My mom lives with us but she works 3 days a week and can't help out on those days. When I feel like we need to pull back, I usually do. But right now there is no way that we can. I have been trying to rest, but well, I'm sure we all know how that goes! I am trying though...

wife to dh('96)
star cottage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 02 2010 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Then I would do whatever you can to boost your immune system..

cranberry
vit. C
echinacea
elderberry
garlic
chicken soup

And when you are at home crash on the couch and direct.. go to bed early.. get extra rest whereever you can.

-Sir Walter Scott

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 02 2010 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Jess wrote:
The anitbiotic I am taking is dicloxicillin, is that a good one?

Yes, a penicillinase-resist penicillin such as dicloxicillin is one of the usually recomemnded ones. You can also commonly see reoccurance when a short course of the antibiotics is given, but I see that you are still on it which falls in the recommended 10-14 days. In rare cases a baby may be carrying the infection in his/her mouth and it reinfects mother. If the matisitis recurs after at least 10 days on anitbiotics, a mother can ask her doctor to culture her milk and baby's throat to determine the appropriate antibiotic treatment.

Stress and fatique are BIG facotrs in recurrant mastitis. Anemia is another thing tha can lower mom's resistance and make her more susceptible. Since you mention tandem nursing I'm assumign your supply is strong. Overabundant milk supply is a risk factor and if you add that in with the above, might be a factor.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 02 2010 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM helped me through tons of mastitis, and I did seem to get a few bacteria resistant to antibiotics.
Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 02 2010 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh yes, you should be taking good vitamins too

-Sir Walter Scott

Jess
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 02 2010 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote Jess

I think I have decided to step back this week and really rest. The kids will just have to miss their activites.

I have to shake this...

wife to dh('96)
star cottage

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2010 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

I have had good results heading off mastitis with lecithin supplements. kellymom has info.

Another thing a lactation consultant friend suggested that I have found helpful is to have baby nurse with his/her chin pointing towards the sorest spot. This can require some creative nursing holds depending on where the sore spot is, but it does seem to drain that area more thoroughly that might happen otherwise.

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2010 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote melanie

Have you missed any doses of the antibiotic? This will often lead to a recurrance and/or resistant infection. I'm not saying this in a judgemental way *at all*, because I am *terrible* about this myself. Prayers, in any case...I've only had it once, with my first baby, but I well remember how ill it made me.

slightlycrunchycatholic.blogspot.com
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

StephanieA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 05 2010 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote StephanieA

I have had 9 kids and am VERY prone to breast infections each and every time. But the second to last child, my infections where constant. Every week. I tried everything. Basically, I couldn't get enough rest with all my responsiblities. I finally had to hire out someone to cook for me. Baby #9 is now 2 months and I started off with a breast infection a week. Then about 3 weeks ago, every time....I mean every time I felt a little tired, I pulled off and rested. This is the only thing that works for me. Rest is the absolute key. So the sports need to go for your health. There are SO many things I would like to do with and for my kids, but I can't because my body won't tolerate it.

Blessings,
Stephanie
Back to Top View StephanieA's Profile Search for other posts by StephanieA

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version