Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
We Pray to the Lord
 4Real Forums : We Pray to the Lord
Subject Topic: A Close Call... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 13 2006 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm posting this in the prayers, because things are still a bit watchful for DS for the next few days. Tonight at dinner we had an allergic episode, but we didn't recognize it as such -- we thought the taco shells were scratching his throat. Kept telling him to drink his milk...which he did, kept crying, went hoarse. I went to pour him more and realized dh had poured him cow's milk instead of soy. He's allergic to dairy!

We didn't do an epi-Pen because it didn't seem like his airway passages were closing up, but his liquid allergy med, but our ped directed us to the ER to make sure he was okay. That was 7:30 pm, we just got home at 11:30 pm (actually pretty good time for ER!). He's doing fine right now -- the medicine makes him hyper, so he's still wide awake. We have steroids and allergy meds to keep on a steady basis for 3 more days.

Doctor told me I did the right thing, because they weren't sure it was analphalactic, but next time will probably be worse, as this one was severe and reactions tend to get worse each time. This was his worst reaction ever...and I was actually thinking that he was outgrowing his allergies, as he hasn't had any reactions for a while.

I'd appreciate prayers for our sanity and some rest tonight, and just some watchful eyes on him (and the parents that we don't do something DUMB like this again).

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Victoria in AZ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2006 at 12:47am | IP Logged Quote Victoria in AZ

Your poor son! Poor Daddy! Praying for your sanity (St. Rita) and some watchful extra angel eyes.

Back to Top View Victoria in AZ's Profile Search for other posts by Victoria in AZ

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Feb 14 2006 at 4:48am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Praying for your son and husband.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2006 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote amyable

Prayers here for peace and healthiness. I *totally* understand, Jenn.

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2006 at 7:46am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Prayers here, JennGM that you all get some much-needed rest and comfort.

Blessings to you all in the Miller house!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2006 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Praying!!

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2006 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

I,too, know how hard it is to make the "dumb" mistake. Praying for Dave, you, and of course, Gregory.

Jen
Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 14 2006 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks, everyone. This morning he is doing much better, a little on the weak side. I'm anticipating a from the other end today.

Yesterday was laundry, sheets and cleaning today. My bed was unmade when we came home, and the dinner stuff was still all out. I've spent this morning working on the kitchen. I've been in such a habit of cleaning the kitchen at night (FlyLady) that this was OVERWHELMING!

Amy, I know you go through so much more. Part of my problem is that dh isn't completely sure of all the allergy stuff, so there was all this going back and forth if this was the right thing to do. I'm glad he heard from the doctor that 1) the next time the reaction will be worse 2) Epipen doesn't do permanent damage and 3) this was a bad episode, and we did the right thing coming to the ER.

Thanks again for the support and prayers.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2006 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

How scary! hang in there--praying too.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Angela F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2006 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote Angela F

Glad he's better today. Prayers for you all.
God bless,
Angela

Back to Top View Angela F's Profile Search for other posts by Angela F

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 14 2006 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Glad things are moving in the right direction, Jenn. Your son is fortunate to have such devoted parents. Episodes like this are so difficult on everyone. We'll pray for complete healing and calm.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2006 at 11:49pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Just read this...hope you are all doing better today!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2006 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

I don't have kids with allergies but I keep thinking about this. I'm so glad he is OK. It must feel overwhelming, keeping these serious allergy kids safe. I don't know how anyone could risk putting little kids with food allergies in day care or preschool when something like this can happen so easily and quickly.

You are such a good mom, Jenn.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2006 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

I hope he is doing better today! Praying!
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2006 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Jenn,
I don't know how I missed this post before, but since I saw it yesterday you have all been in my prayers. Just wanted to add my virtual voice to the prayer chain.

Also, thanks for the post because it reminded me that my lunch guest is violently allergic to mangoes and I was planning on serving them. She can't even touch an unpeeled one, so you definitely helped her out.   

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2006 at 3:29pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Jenn,

We were and will continue to pray. Hope he is feeling much much better. Is there a patron saint of allergies? I know so many children who seem to be plagued by them.

Hope you are feeling better too. I agree with Bridget...you are a good Mom!!!!

God bless,

Marybeth

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 15 2006 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Dear Jenn,

I haven't checked the board in a few days and just saw your prayer request for Gregory. I am praying for you all. I hope your little guy is feeling better by now...

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 16 2006 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks everyone for the prayers and words of encouragement. He is doing fine -- actually great. We saw his pediatrician today and he said he can go off the meds and everything is fine. But looking back, his signs of his attack was closing up his airway passages, i.e. anaphalytic. I should have given the Epi-Pen. Thank God he responded to his regular meds.

We were warned that a reaction like this COULD happen, and here's what to do, but in the same breath then told that his allergies seemed less severe, that it was merely precautionary to be carrying an epi-pen. Can I tell you it was just last week that I told myself that I was going to stop lugging that thing around because he seemed fine!!!? My purse is as big as a diaper bag carrying his emergency meds. But safety is more important than being a fashion model.

I'm the one having a hard time! It seems that the gravity of the situation has hit me very hard, and I'm just so emotional now. I need a good long cry and a stiff drink!!! I tend to have delayed reaction to stress events.

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 16 2006 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Jenn,

I'm soooo glad that he is doing so well!

I can really relate to having delayed reaction to stressful episodes; this is me to a T. Enjoy a glass of wine and have a good cuddle (and a good cry if you need to) with your dh tonight after Gregory is tucked in...

Still praying for you all....

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 17 2006 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

oh jenn. i just saw this, glad your son is fine but i'm keeping all of you, esp. you, in my prayers. i know how much stress we moms can put on ourselves when things like this happen. hope you feel better about this soon.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version