Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: teen girl clothing issues Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 22 2010 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote melanie

I'm having a *really* hard time finding shirts for my 13yo daughter. She is quite, erm, developed, and rather tall, so she needs a women's size medium or so to fit her through the chest and length-wise. But she has a small frame up top, if that makes sense, her shoulders and such are still kind of small, and that size top always seems to end up too low cut or so baggy around the neck that it falls open when she bends over. Anyone else have this weird problem? It doesn't help at all that she has rather strong clothing opinions and will not wear polo-style shirts, unfortunately.
At this point I'm ready to dress her in a big tarp until she's grown.

slightlycrunchycatholic.blogspot.com
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 22 2010 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

What about layering more.. someone's posted links to the higher cut longer tank top type shirts that you can wear under other things, in one of the threads about modest clothing.

Also, maybe you can find somewhere that sells clothes for taller people.. and could find tops that are made for a smaller frame but still big enough?

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 22 2010 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Would you be willing to let her wear a tank top underneath the shirt? It's definitely the stylish thing to do, and will prevent costume fails of that nature...We've had to do this with tall, thin dd and dresses many times; they're just cut too low for a pre-teen's figure.

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 22 2010 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote Courtney

My dd almost always wears tanks or camilsoles under her shirts. My dd is tall also and some of the shirts can be so low cut. I think she has a tank in every color!

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 22 2010 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

This website sells camisoles and half-shirts for modest layering. Maybe you could find something there to complement what your daughter likes to wear.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 22 2010 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I was just looking at the new Lands End catalog and they have T shirts in 3 different cuts and lengths. Perhaps you could try out one of each of the different cuts and see which fits her best? They do have a no-hassle return policy so whichever cuts don't fit could be returned and replaced with the one that does.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 22 2010 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

I think I own a cami in every color
I have a veeerrryy large bust 42k and need to buy shirts at least a size too big to be sure I am properly covered. But that leaves the gaping neck issue for me also. So I have a stack of nice stretchy camis that are a smidge tight so they fit close to my skin. I also found that having the 2 layers across my upper chest helps to visually break up my bust so it doesnt look like yards of fabric preceeding me

Maria in WI
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 22 2010 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote Maria in WI

I was also going to suggest Land's end "long and lean" style t-shirts. I like them because they are longer, and although I am not "lean" , I really like the fit. You could also try shade clothing for some ideas and layering pieces. My nieces are your daughters age, and wear all of their clothes layered with a cami underneath.

Good luck!
Back to Top View Maria in WI's Profile Search for other posts by Maria in WI

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 22 2010 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Land's End T's are available at Sears, so you could go there and try some on. I love their T's because they are loooonnng. They make up for the current styles in jeans/pants - which are even worse for me because I am long-waisted and tall.

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2010 at 6:39am | IP Logged Quote melanie

Thanks all! I have ordered a few of those tanks from Land's End before and they were almost as low cut as the shirts and didn't help much. But she did like them, I think I will try some more in the petite sizes, and maybe a small instead of a medium. If it fits too snugly, that won't be visable under the shirt anyway. One good thing is that, although we have some disagreements over what is modest enough, she is with me on fixing this problem. She feels self-conscious about being so developed so young, bless her. I'm ordering her some new bras too, and she wants me to get minimizer bras. I also have a large bust, but I didn't at 13! LeeAnn, your post was so cute, I read it to my daughter and we were both cracking up.

Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2010 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote LisaD

Maria in WI wrote:
I was also going to suggest Land's end "long and lean" style t-shirts. I like them because they are longer, and although I am not "lean" , I really like the fit. You could also try shade clothing for some ideas and layering pieces. My nieces are your daughters age, and wear all of their clothes layered with a cami underneath.

Good luck!

I LOVE the camis from Shade Clothing! I wear them frequently, under lower-cut t-shirts and things that are a bit too sheer. The neck line on the Shade camis come up a lot higher than on the camis you'd find elsewhere, and they wash beautifully...I've had mine for years.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 23 2010 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Thanks Lisa, my oldest daughter and I were looking there yesterday.. she really likes the look of the Shade Clothing cami.. and I think she will fit the xs. And since we'd just had this discussion about a certain dress on Sunday.. this thread has been extremely helpful.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2010 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

Melanie, 2 things that I have found that help are tees that are actually a size too small, and camis with adjustable straps. My tees and camis are tight. No way would I wear one by itself! But the tight fit under another shirt does a few things--reduces bulk (cause I don't need any more padding ) creates a smooth line and doesn't gape. With the adjustable strap camis, I tighten the straps all the way, so the camis are just a couple inches under the base of my neck. That way I can bend over without flashing people   

I have had a large chest since I was 11. When I was in jr high, we wore the traditional white button down oxford shirts to school. Girls were not allowed anything but a bra underneath, my mom had to go in and fight so I could wear a white tee shirt under my blouse. Which was just silly--boys could wear an under shirt, but not girls you would think that would want us as covered as possible

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 23 2010 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote melanie

Ok, I ended up ordering some camis from Shade, since ya'll recommended it and they were also having a sale, I got six of them for $42 plus shipping, so I thought it'd be worth a try! Thanks!

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2010 at 7:23am | IP Logged Quote melanie

Just wanted to update, the camis came yesterday. They will work great I think. She tried one on, and they have a bit of spandex in them and fit nice and snug around the neck line. Thanks so much!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version