Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Organizing Saint Readings Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 18 2010 at 11:29pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I did something a year ago that has been really helpful, and wanted to mention it.   

I made an Spreadsheet of all of the saint books we have with each saint name contained within.

Column A - saint name (Stephen of Hungary)
Column B - Name of book (Loyola Treasury of Saints)
Column C (not nec) - Feast Day

Then, I can sort it alphabetically by saint name, save it, and when I'm looking for a saint reading for a particular day or for a reason....I pull up the spreadsheet, and I have the 3 books that have Teresa of Avila in them. Go to those books and choose. It saves time looking in the TOC or index of each of the books.

It sounds crazy and like a lot of work, but actually it wasn't, especially if you have another READER in the house to help read the list of saint names and you type. It goes really fast.

At first I thought this was going to be one of those crazy things I'd do and not use, but I actually use it a lot. I think it saves time.

I also list: picture books, statues, and Glory Stories, etc. It helps the girls to make their own little display or plan for a feast day...they know how to go to the spreadsheet and look up a name.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 18 2010 at 11:53pm | IP Logged Quote Chris V

This is really excellent!

It's been my intention (for way, way too long now, to make a spreadsheet of my resources and books.

... one of those things that typically gets pushed down on the list, behind, oh, say laundry .

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 4:10am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Suzanne

Book talk, my favourite topic    A couple of years ago I also typed up a list of my resources (but it really needs updating as I have hardly any of our lovely Mosaic books listed. They were a later purchase) This was a huge process and took weeks. I wish I had done it in a Excel spreadsheet like yours. For me the most important part was your 'Column C'. I wanted to be able to look at the date for various feast days and know instantly what books to pull out.

I also added a 'key' so I can tell whether the book is for my older readers or my younger ones. When I have a chance to update I'd love to create extra details such as countries and time periods.

I'm impressed that your girls use it.

Love to encourage you to do it Chris.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 7:07am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I've been working on a project doing much the same thing. I had all my Catholic Mosaic books organized by Liturgical Year, but I have now undertaken ALL of our books that coordinate with the liturgical year (VISION books, Encounter the Saints, MFW, Louis deWohl, general saint's biographies). I'm organizing them by month first, and then further subdividing by century and location, because these books are also read for their historical context as well. I have readers all over the spectrum now, and this is what motivated me to start this project. I write in pencil on the first page of the book the:

Date of the Feast:
Century of the Saint:

And, I can see that a spreadsheet will be in my future!!   

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 7:35am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

i don't know if this is exactly what you gals have in mind, but

here's a thread from 3 years ago

and this

and finally here -- where i posted about the spreadsheet

i've been working on getting it onto a calendar, but it's been WAY TOO SLOW. if this is at all what you gals have in mind, perhaps we could work on it together?

if you click on my link below (The Homeschooler's Book Blog) you'll see the calendar on the right sidebar. Click on "Click for more" or scroll down on the calendar and you'll see what i've got on there. this has been an ongoing project since 2007 and i'm very frustrated that i haven't been able to get it done. yes, i'm begging for help if anyone is willing.

it seems we all want pretty much the same thing, we just need to agree on what medium to use (spreadsheet, calendar, what?) and how to do it. the thing that i love about the spreadsheet is that it's easily sortable, the thing i love about the calendar is the automated reminder and repeat. i'd love to brainstorm on how to get those 2 things to work together.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

if you guys have any techie friends/hubbies, maybe one of them can decode this techspeak for us? or this?

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

A great resource that has helped me organize and keep track of what books cover what saints, and what period is Reading the Saints: Lists of Catholic Books for Children plus Book Collecting Tips for the Home and School Library by Janet McKenzie.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Chris V
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote Chris V

Erin wrote:
my resources

This is tremendous! Wow.

Erin wrote:

Love to encourage you to do it Chris.

Thank you I need your encouragement! This is something that I really want done (however, I want to do it about as much as I *want* to do our taxes).

Back to Top View Chris V's Profile Search for other posts by Chris V

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Mackfam wrote:

What!?? You haven't done one yet?? Slipping

Stefoodie wrote:
where i posted about the spreadsheet
i've been working on getting it onto a calendar, but it's been WAY TOO SLOW. if this is at all what you gals have in mind, perhaps we could work on it together?

Stef,
Very impressive, I like the spreadsheet format better than word doc like mine.

Stefoodie wrote:
it seems we all want pretty much the same thing, we just need to agree on what medium to use (spreadsheet, calendar, what?) and how to do it. the thing that i love about the spreadsheet is that it's easily sortable, the thing i love about the calendar is the automated reminder and repeat. i'd love to brainstorm on how to get those 2 things to work together.

I agree with you, I like both formats too.

I tried to dump bits into my google calendar but it wouldn't work, it appeared that I would have to manually enter all data (wasn't doing that again.) Mmm but I notice you link to a techspeak. Hoping someone can help here.

Originally when I shared my file on google I thought it could be useful to others but so many of my books are OOP. I'd be happy to do a joint project but what thoughts do you have about different people having different resources?

JennGM wrote:
A great resource that has helped me organize and keep track of what books cover what saints, and what period is Reading the Saints: Lists of Catholic Books for Children plus Book Collecting Tips for the Home and School Library by Janet McKenzie.

I have never heard of this resource!! Wow

[QUOTE=Chris V]Thank you I need your encouragement! This is something that I really want done (however, I want to do it about as much as I *want* to do our taxes).[?Quote]

Chris,
Thanks for your encouragement I think my dh thinks it's another of my "frustrated librarian" projects

Well look at it like this, how happy are you when you get that tax refund!

Maybe you can use my doc and Stef's to work out some of the saint's dates if you have some of the same books.

Suzanne, Can we have a peak at your spreadsheet?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Quote:
I'd be happy to do a joint project but what thoughts do you have about different people having different resources?

yeah, i've been thinking about this all day and coming to the conclusion that ack..... there isn't one, is there? we all have different things in our houses and except for those we have in common, our spreadsheets/calendars would be useless for everyone else....

i still wish though.   

mom to five

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Low tech solution to using the two programs. Have the Saints' Days listed on your calender.. if you have books put an * next to the name.. then you'll know to check your spread sheet for which books/stories you have.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

It could help other just to know the time frames.. so even if you don't share the particular books.. the era and saints would be good to share.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 19 2010 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Erin wrote:
Mackfam wrote:

What!?? You haven't done one yet?? Slipping

I know!!!! I can't let you down I'm definitely going to make one!

Erin wrote:
JennGM wrote:

I have never heard of this resource!! Wow

Erin,
If you don't have this I would track it down like a hound dog!!!! IMMENSELY helpful because it covers in print AND out of print books and SORTS ALL OF THEM!!!!!

I'm compiling in iCal right now because it's how I do my lesson planning so it's handy to have it right there. So, I add the Feast on the specific date and then in *notes* I add in all the books with authors as well as list the saint's century and location.

Suzanne mentioned it, but it's worthwhile mentioning again that this is SO GREAT for coordinating all those books that are collections of stories and breaking out the individual story which relates to a particular Feast and pegging it to the Feast day...books like, Journeys With Mary, Angel Food books, Celtic Heritage Saints, etc.

I made a general Lent category and just tagged it to Feb 1. I'm up through April so far...miles to go!!!   

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 20 2010 at 12:42am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Mackfam wrote:

Erin,
If you don't have this I would track it down like a hound dog!!!! IMMENSELY helpful because it covers in print AND out of print books and SORTS ALL OF THEM!!!!!

Good hound dog that I am I have successfully tracked this book down Thought I'd share for anyone else interested. Book Depository, Betterworld and Abe Books all have copies.    Now I just have to debate with myself as to will I now or will I later

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 03 2010 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Stef
Tried to work out converting doc to calendar but have to concede defeat at this stage.

I've decided to convert my word doc to excel spreadsheet. What columns would you advise? Obviously Date, Book, page (for several stories in one book), Key (I have listed whether pic bk, colouring, chp bk etc); and reading Jen's ideas I could add century and country. Any other suggestions?

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2010 at 7:10am | IP Logged Quote Angel

How did I miss this thread???

Erin, I would add a target age range. Are you just doing this for books you own? I was thinking in my databases that I would include books I didn't own, too, so I could check them out at the library, if possible. (Of course, I may just be giddy at the prospect of having access to a better library, thinking that they might have resources I don't.)

I'm wondering how you would pack up your faith-related books. I'm looking at organizing all my books a bit better before I put them in boxes. Right now I have my Catholic Mosaic books in a drawer in a closet where I keep picture books to rotate, and all my other Saint books (Vision books, big hardbacks, etc.) are mixed in with "general" books on the faith in baskets out in the living room. I figure if I do a good enough job of packing all my books, they'll be A LOT easier to unpack on the other end.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 04 2010 at 2:09pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

The target range is covered by my key.
Key: Picture Book=PB
        Long Picture Book=LPB
        Colouring Book= CB
        Activity Book =AB
        Children’s Chapter Book= ChB
        Short Chapter Book=SCB
        Teenage Chap Bk=TCB
        Adult Chapter Book= ACB
        Short Story for Young Ch. =SYC
        Short Story for Middle Ch.=SMC
        Short Story for Older Ch.=SOC
        Liturgical Resources=LR
        Mosaic Book= MB
        Poetry/Verse=PV

It is for my own books. My library has NO Saints books.

How exciting if you move to a better library

Packing: As you are thinking I would pack my Mosaic and Vision in their own boxes. I'm not too sure what else you own but I would tend to box by ages and series. Possibly like my key above and depending on how many books of each as to how many 'key categories' I would box together.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 05 2010 at 12:25am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Erin wrote:
Suzanne, Can we have a peak at your spreadsheet?

2010-03-05_002246_aaSaint_Books_-_Compilation_xls.xls

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 05 2010 at 4:04am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Thank You Very helpful, and I just tried to imagine you and I were visiting and I was having a peek in person at your library with you.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2010 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Bumping this up....
I saw that Sacred Heart Books has Reading the Saints in the clearance bin for $15. All orders over $25 ship free

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version