Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Why the ancient myths? Why? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 16 2010 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

I have a friend who is Christian (raised nominally Catholic, but not Catholic now....does not attend church anywhere...pray for her! )

who is so uncomfortable with the Greek myths, etc......that she keeps them out of the reach of her children.....they have no knowledge

I would like to have the words to explain to her why they are useful and good.........could you please help me?

I recently heard something from CS Lewis as to WHY....but I have to go trace the quote.

It was something about learning the stories of the Greek Gods preparing us for the REAL God, esp of Jesus Christ....

They LOVE Narnia (which sometimes has the myths intertwined ) so I hope they will be able to see......

Thanks for your help!

Blessings,

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2010 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote Tami

Chari, there are so many references to mythology that people don't understand because they've never been exposed to them! And our government has such similarities to the Roman system, that if you study it you would have to have exposure to the culture as well.

I guess the real question I'd ask her is "why?" What is it about the myths that makes her so uncomfortable?

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 16 2010 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

The book "Making Senses Out of Scripture" by Mark Shea Talks some about this.. basically the Old Testament is the Jewish people's struggle toward the advent of Christ.

The other stories and myths tell us about the rest of the world and how they long for a true God and how over time you can tell that the myths and stories just aren't enough.. it's the struggle of the rest of the world toward Christ.

I may not be paraphrasing very well. But the whole idea that it shows the rest of the world and how they were yearning toward a savior as well as the Jewish people I found to be a very intriguing and compelling argument.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2010 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Memoria Press has a few articles that might be helpful:

Why Read Homer's Iliad?

The Tale of Two Kings: The difference between God and the gods.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 16 2010 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I was taught in Catholic school that we learn about various mythologies because they have become part of the lexicon of Western culture. You can't read, say, Milton's "Paradise Lost," and understand it without comprehending the references contained therein. The same is true for Shakespeare's plays.

It's not about believing the myths are true, but about giving our older children the tools to study and understand our literature - poems, plays, stories, novels - without a basic understanding of Who's Who on Mt. Olympus, many of the classics of English and American literature just won't make sense.

I understand not wanting young children to know the unfortunate details of the Greek gods' antics, but there are plenty of versions of the myths available for middle schoolers that get the stories across without revealing TMI.

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2010 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

It's like Nancy said, there are soooo many references to Greek and Roman mythology everywhere, for instance the names of the planets and their moons (which was actually my first introduction to mythology). Then there are things like knowing when someone has "the Midas touch" or has a "look that can turn someone to stone". Even shows on Disney channel sometimes reference these things.

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

catholicmomma
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote catholicmomma

When I first started homeschooling 11 years ago, I was influenced by some friends who insisted that any and all myths were based in paganism, and therefore would be detrimental to my children. That seemed to make sense. But since I had a degree in English, I was a little skeptical. Then they insisted the Little Mermaid was evil and would corrupt their children. Since I love the original fairy tale (very Christian and completely different than the Disney version, btw), I thought their opinion might be little short-sighted. Boy am I glad I didn't listen to them, but instead invested in D'Aulaire's Greek myths, Age of Mythology and other similar books and games.

Now I teach junior high and high school literature classes. Without a doubt my students who have a background in mythology understand and enjoy higher-level poetry and literature's classical references more quickly and more thoroughly. In fact, I'd say it takes twice as long to explain Shakespeare, and the process of explaining mythological background from the beginning is so cumbersome that many students lose interest in the process.

My friends later became Protestant, and joined a very fundamentalist church that really downplays the role of education. Perhaps your friend is also influenced by uneducated preaching that sees no value in higher learning? I've no advice on talking to her, except maybe to point out that so very much of our literary heritage (and modern culture as well) is based on the ancients that you're doing a disservice to your students if you don't expose them to it.

-Lisa B in OH
Back to Top View catholicmomma's Profile Search for other posts by catholicmomma

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

guitarnan wrote:
I was taught in Catholic school that we learn about various mythologies because they have become part of the lexicon of Western culture. You can't read, say, Milton's "Paradise Lost," and understand it without comprehending the references contained therein. The same is true for Shakespeare's plays.

It's not about believing the myths are true, but about giving our older children the tools to study and understand our literature - poems, plays, stories, novels - without a basic understanding of Who's Who on Mt. Olympus, many of the classics of English and American literature just won't make sense.

I understand not wanting young children to know the unfortunate details of the Greek gods' antics, but there are plenty of versions of the myths available for middle schoolers that get the stories across without revealing TMI.

My first introduction to the greek myths was through a copy of Tanglewood Tales by Nathaniel Hawthorne at my grandparents.

This book and a previous one A Wonder Book for boys and girls would make an amusing introduction some of the myths .
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

guitarnan wrote:

Exactly. It's about being a well-informed person, able to participate in the "great conversation".

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version