Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Moisture in Winter Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 6:59am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

All you ladies that love in cold places where Winter is long, How do you keep the moisture in your home? Do you use any kind of vaporizer or humidifier? If so, what kind? How do you keep your skin and lips moist? what products? What about the kids?

It has been unusually cold here in LA this year. Our house is a 1947 house with not the best insulation so our heat runs constantly. The dryness is driving me crazy! Any tips and tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Michaela
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote Michaela

Natalia wrote:
How do you keep your skin and lips moist? what products? What about the kids?

IMVHO, nothing compares to Nivea Cream as a moisturizer. A little dab will do yah.    The picture on the link shows two young women....I would NEVER put the amount like the woman on the left....it's just WAY WAY too much. A couple of dots, rubbed in, will last all day. (no added fragrances that would be a problem for sensitive skin)   Walgreens carries little sample cans for $1 (can't go wrong there to try it out), but a regular sized container usually sells closer to $8-10.

**edited to add....my opinion is specific to the creme in the picture...I've never tried their other products such as lotions. When my legs or elbows are super dry (neglected) I'll apply some on my "alligator skin" and the dryness instantly disappears, but mainly apply to my face....same for the rest of my family.

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote Christine

My mom used to place glass jars filled with water in our heater vents.

I use coconut oil (the kind used for cooking) as a moisturizer.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

we have a wood stove and keep a kettle of water on it. Not only does it help keep some moisture in the air but moist air feels warmer than dry air does.

you could try setting water on heater vents or try a humidifier.. even if you just run it now and again rather than constantly.

How about a pot of soup on the stove?

blistex is a good healing lip balm.. I really like it for lips that are already dry.. but to prevent the drying out.. just about anything works.. I usually use store brand chapstick in cherry

Aloe is a nice moisturizer, I used it when we lived in AZ.

And putting on moisturizer (whatever you decide to use) right after getting out of the shower will help hold moisture into your skin.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh I forgot.. I use Oil of Olay "active hydrating beauty fluid" for my face.. I really like how it works.. I have a hard time finding something that it just enough to use after every shower without making my skin feel slimey (I have a really hard time with sunscreen because I can feel it on my skin all day long for an example) and this is nice and light and moisturizer my skin just enough and I can't tell it's there.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote Tami

We use a humidifier in our bedroom, to help with my headaches.

If my head is really hurting, and I need to be up-and-about, then I will sometimes put a pot of water on the stove to boil, just to humidify things a bit more.

You might try leaving the bathroom door cracked a bit when showering, and not running the fan until finished (not possible in our bathroom, where the fan is connected to the light).

I like Burt's Bees for my lips. And I now regularly use lotion after showering. Oh, and I use the generic equivalent of Oil of Olay, but always have, as a facial moisturizer.

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

We use Burt's Bees for lips and cocoa butter for hands. I have trained my son to put the cocoa butter on every time he washes hands, because his skin gets so dry that it cracks and bleeds otherwise.

mathmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote mathmama

We have a dry mist humidifier upstairs and downstairs. They are cheap and seem to do a better job than the cool mist ones which seem to just wet the floor right in front of them. The other plus to the warm mist is that for some reason they don't get "funky" like the cool mist ones. We would have to clean the cool mist ones at least weekly (and we could have done it more often), but the warm mist ones I don't think get cleaned at all but never get moldy/funky.

Veronica 10/09
Theodora 11/12
Back to Top View mathmama's Profile Search for other posts by mathmama

TracyFD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote TracyFD

Up here in Minnesota I love having a warm mist humidifier going at night. Otherwise my nose-blowing is a little bloody in the morning. (sorry to be gross) I also rely on the NeilMed Sinus Rinse that I found at Walgreens. This, for me, is much better than a neti pot.

Seriously, though, the cold temps are a problem. The air can only hold so much moisture and too much will make mold start forming on the windows.

For skin and lips - love Burt's Bees if I can stand the minty tingle. Otherwise I go for Aveda lip balm, hand relief and foot relief. I like to put a good calendula oil on the kids after their bath and slather them with lip balm at night and before and after they go outside. UN-petroluem Jelly works great on lips too and inside nostrils.

Pinewood Castle
Back to Top View TracyFD's Profile Search for other posts by TracyFD Visit TracyFD's Homepage

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 11:08pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

Great topic Natalia! Here in North Texas, I checked and our indoor humidity is about 19%!! I feel like I'm going to set someone on fire with the shocks of static electricity going on around here. I was thinking about getting our humidifier out to help but everyone's skin is so dry and scaly too. Gotta cut back on those hot showers too but ohhhhh...sooo needed in the AM!   

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Thanks for all the ideas. I am taking note of the products you guys have mentioned here for when I go to the store tomorrow.

Tracy, does cocoa butter come in a lotion form? do you get it at a health food store or the regular pharmacy?

Beth,about the humidifiers, when you talk about dry mist is that the same as a warm mist humidifier? I am glad you mentioned the difference. I didn't know there were different types of humidifiers. I have been looking around on the internet, they are kind of expensive. Where did you buy yours?

Thanks again,

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version