Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: animal vegetable miracle Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I don't know if I should post this here or in the Rabbit Trails section. I am currently reading the book Animal Vegetable Miracle and I am compelled to eat more locally and in season. I would love to do a unit on this with my kids, to get them on board. We are used to eating whatever we want, whenever we want and I think trying to change our eating habits might meet with some resistance! But, if the kids understand the health benefits as well as agricultural and environmental benefits they might jump on board ... right?    Anyway, I am just wondering about what sorts of resources there might be available for a unit study such as this? We have a garden so the kids know about gardening. I think we need to expand it and preserve more of what we grow. But the majority of what we eat comes from the grocery store and, in the spring and summer we go to the Farmers Market.
I would like to teach them about how we actually have watermelons to eat in January when we live in Michigan and how, while that seems great, it might not be so good for the environment or even our health.
Any thoughts on this?

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote Marcia

look to see if there is a locally grown farmers market (our famers market has things from thousands of miles away sometimes) or any CSA farms that you could visit. They would be ordering or getting their seeds in order this time of the year...maybe you could visit the local Cooperative Extension to get a session on how to can and freeze your own produce in the fall.

I wonder why
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

When I read this I too felt the same way, about wanting to do a unit study.

What I found were books that were more classroom oriented. I still purchased them, and haven't used them yet. I haven't figured out how to adapt them yet to our family. But I also do 4H so there is a possibility I might use them there too.

None of them really stress eating locally though, but I think at least one of them does about eating seasonally.
How to Teach Nutrition to Kids
French Fries and the Food System
healthy foods from healthy soils

I didn't really find any living books (besides "let's grow a garden" types)...but doesn't mean they aren't out there. I hope others have some resources to share too!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Not Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, but in the same vein: our local library system chose Pollan's In Defense of Food as its book for this year. Here are their recommendations for children's reading on this topic (pasted straight from the library website):

For grades 4-8, Seedfolks by Paul Fleischman, a novel about how a lima bean garden started by nine-year-old Kim as a memorial to her Vietnamese familiy has a positive impact on the lives of 12 neighbors.

For grades K-3, Tops & Bottoms by Janet Stevens, the humorous story of a partnership between Bear and Hare to grow and share vegetables.

For pre-K, Carrot Soup by John Segal, the story of Rabbit who grows carrots in his garden for his favorite soup.

I've never read these personally, so I'm not sure how applicable they are. But maybe it's a start...

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version