Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Fantasy book suggestions ... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 05 2010 at 6:32pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

... for my just-about 11yos! He loves Redwall, all Tolkein, Warriors series, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, etc .... is there a great series you can recommend that he'd like? He's finally really taken off on his reading and I'd like to encourage it. He loves military history too ....

ANY suggestions would be appreciated as this is so NOT my genre!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 05 2010 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Mary

I am SO with you! I have a fantasy loving son and it is so not us, plus we are fairly particular although he has 'encouraged' us to move our boundaries

Going through Dominic's(14) list of books read(I wouldn't recommend all of these for an 11 yr old, but others might)
I found:
* Emma and the Incredible Shrinking Rat - Jonathon Bean
* Inkheart - Cornelia Funke (Macbeths' List says not her later ones)Mmm now I can't find it.
* The City of Ember (Series)- Jeanne DuPrau
* The Mysterious Benedict Society - Trenton Lee Stewart
* Ranger's Apprentice Series - John Flanagan
* Eragon (and sequels)- Christopher Paolini
* Lord of the Rings (Two of my boys read this at 10)- JR Tolkien
*The Hobbit-JR Tolkien
* Simarillion - JR Tolkien
* Pool of Fire - John Christopher (Sequels available haven't bought yet)
* Palindor - Evans DR
* Raising Dragons - Bryan Davis (Christian author, doesn't fit with M O'Briens criteria though)
* Stoneholding - James Sebanc and James Anderson (Catholic author)
And he read Landscapes with Dragons - Michael O'Brien recently, considering how much fantasy he was reading I thought it wise, and then we moved our boundaries

Not Fantasy:
* My Side of the Mountain- Jean Craighead George (not fantasy but I include because this fantasy loving boy actually loved it! (and sequels)
* Biggles books- Captain WE Johns (Airforce bound to be loved by your cadet)

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 05 2010 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

He will definately LOVE the Ranger's Apprentice Series since he likes the ones you mentioned

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 05 2010 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Check your library for the John Christopher books. Excellent.

When the Tripods Came is a (stand-alone) prequel. Then, in order:

The White Mountains
The City of Gold and Lead
The Pool of Fire

We read the Lord of the Rings trilogy as a read-aloud last year (my dd is almost 12 now) and loved every minute. (Well, dd did not like the poems. Sigh.) A mature 11-yo could read these books (I did, at that age).

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 05 2010 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Oh!

E. Nesbit's books! Especially Five Children and It - how could I forget?!

Edward Eager's books are perfect for the 10-11 year old set. They involve magic as well as fantasy, but not spell-casting. In one book there is a magic creature that takes the children on historic adventures; in another there's a coin that grants exactly half of what the holder wishes for. Very fun. Probably not in your library (check, though), but recently reprinted.

Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2010 at 9:43pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

My 9 yo, almost 10 yo, is enjoying the We Were There History Series, the publisher is Grosset and Dunlap.here is a list of some in the series but you can probably pick them up cheaper on ebay. My guy is reading We Were There at the Alamo, very exciting series for young history buffs.

eta: i see you asked for some military history...

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2010 at 5:58am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Thank you, thank you!

I'd forgotten about the Ranger's Apprentice series ... that got rave reviews on this Board but he wasn't interested back then. They sound perfect now! I think I'll get the Ranger's Apprentice Collection (the first 3 books) for his birthday in 10 days. That should hold him for a few days anyway!

We've read the Nesbit books as read-alouds -- those are marvelous! And the Edward Eager ones (that mimic, sort of, Nesbit's writing) are excellent too.

Erin, I'm going to print out your list and check these out ... they sound great! Thanks so much for taking the time to delve into a 14yo's reading list!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2010 at 6:42am | IP Logged Quote LLMom

Mary G wrote:
Thank you, thank you!

I'd forgotten about the Ranger's Apprentice series ... that got rave reviews on this Board but he wasn't interested back then. They sound perfect now! I think I'll get the Ranger's Apprentice Collection (the first 3 books) for his birthday in 10 days. That should hold him for a few days anyway!

We've read the Nesbit books as read-alouds -- those are marvelous! And the Edward Eager ones (that mimic, sort of, Nesbit's writing) are excellent too.

Erin, I'm going to print out your list and check these out ... they sound great! Thanks so much for taking the time to delve into a 14yo's reading list!

I got this exact thing for my ds for Christmas and he has already devoured the first book (he had to fight over it with my dh ) and is almost done with the second.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 26 2010 at 5:21am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Mary

Just wondering what your son thought of the Ranger's Apprentice books?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2010 at 5:52am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Erin ... well both he and I love them! We're waiting on #8 to come from the library ... they are so well written and very addictive !

Thank you so much for reminding me about them. He and I have enjoyed reading them and discussing them ... I read the 1st one as a family read-aloud and the other two are asking for more ....

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 26 2010 at 6:07am | IP Logged Quote Erin

I was also wondering whether you found any of the Biggles books?

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2010 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Erin wrote:
I was also wondering whether you found any of the Biggles books?
Biggles ... qu'est que ce "Biggles"?

Michiel
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 26 2010 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote Michiel

My 11 yo ds just finished the new first book of a new series by Rick Riordan, "The Red Pyramid." We're reading it aloud now as a family. Pretty much along the Percy Jackson line, except Egyptian. He thought it might be even better than Percy, which he LOVED.

Back to Top View Michiel's Profile Search for other posts by Michiel

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 28 2010 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Erin wrote:

* Inkheart - Cornelia Funke (Macbeths' List says not her later ones)Mmm now I can't find it.

Does anyone know where this is? My ds15 is begging to read the sequel and I can't remember why it may have possible issues. Dh is lagging in pre-reading, and I rarely read fantasy if I can help it.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 30 2011 at 2:49am | IP Logged Quote Erin

I finally finished a fantasy post and wanted to add a few titles that I didn't share above.

Bran Habric - Kaleb Nation (and sequels)
Shadow Thief- Alexandra Ardonetto (and sequels)

Dove
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 30 2011 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote Dove

If he likes history, the books by de Wohl which tell the stories of the Saints in the form of historical fiction.

I found The Citadel of God (de Wohl) particularly wonderful and it felt rather like fantasy with the spiritual gifts of the Saint.

On fantasy/science fiction the author Anne McCaffrey tells some great stories in her PERN series. My eldest loved Dragonflight around age 11, and it turned a non-reader into a voracious reader. I preferred the Harper Hall series.

Tolkien is ALWAYS good.

Karen Fabian has some fun stories but they may be too old for him at this point. I find the short story collections especially good. She is a Catholic author and goes for humor in her novels.

Heinlein wrote juveniles which are incredibly good science fiction (Have Spacesuit Will Travel comes to mind as does Tunnel In the Sky--both EXCELLENT). Always fast paced, always the main characters are well drawn. My husband tells me that this author sparked more interest in science in young people than any other author ever. Most of the people he went to school with had been influenced by this author to study science. My husband said his characters willingness to do things themselves, to figure out solutions themselves, gave many a youngster the idea that they too could do science themselves.

Back to Top View Dove's Profile Search for other posts by Dove

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 05 2011 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Dove wrote:

On fantasy/science fiction the author Anne McCaffrey tells some great stories in her PERN series. My eldest loved Dragonflight around age 11, and it turned a non-reader into a voracious reader. I preferred the Harper Hall series.

I would suggest pre-reading the Pern books before giving them to an 11 yo. I loved reading this series as an adult but there a few things in them which made me uncomfortable allowing my child to read - when the dragons mate, their riders are also bonded to one another, and it does describe this situation. I think it's primarily in the first one or two books but it's best to read them in order.

MacCaffrey also has several space fantasy series which are good but it's been too long since I read them to recall any problems. I only remember in the Pern books b/c I did want to offer them to my teen a few years ago, started re-reading them and decided to wait.

hth,
Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2011 at 8:55pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

McCaffrey is a good story teller. But the books definately have some level of sex, homosexuality, lack of conventional marriage and such. I would recommend pre-reading any of her books before offering them.

I would also say the same for Heinlein and generally speaking most conventional sci-fi/fantasy. The people that push the limits in imagination don't tend to refrain from doing so with the topics in the books such as cloning, marriage, genetic manipulation, cyborgs and pretty much every topic you can think of.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

Dove
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 05 2011 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote Dove

McCaffrey has less of the undesirables than nearly any program on television and at least her major characters have permanent relationships unlike nearly every sitcom on TV these days. I never had a qualm about letting my teens read the Pern stories.

Heinlein's JUVENILES do not have the sex levels of his adult books. The two titles I mentioned as examples are clean and very supportive of the idea that any kid can learn science and succeed with it and that the individual can do more than what society expects him to be able to do. Quite positive.
Back to Top View Dove's Profile Search for other posts by Dove

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2011 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Less than TV doesn't make something good. Certainly each family can decide their comfort level. And a warning to be careful and pre-read does not mean, don't read the books. But for those unfamiliar with sci-fi/fantasy it's a good thing to provide the information that there may be material they consider inappropriate.

-Sir Walter Scott

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version