Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Our 2010 Booklist! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 08 2010 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Chari wrote:

I just picked up Don Quixote......what am I thinking???

Just caught that at the end, ambitious!!!

Read it in high school in Spanish and liked it well enough. Though they do tell me it loses a bit in translation but never read it in English so wouldn't know personally.

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2010 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Karen T wrote:

Last week I read Miss Buncle, Married by D.E. Stevenson, one of her earliest books. Our library has about 8 of her books, but they seem to be random, not more than one of any series. So I have a couple on order through ILL including the one before this one, but I highly enjoyed this one.

It read Mrs. Buncle last year and loved her!

Quote:
I finished the Ally Carter series of Gallagher Girls in one week! Very cute stories of teenage spies that someone on this board recommend last year. (sorry, I don't remember who )
I just found out she is writing another one in the series due out for June!   Fluff reading I know!

Maybe it was me. I read them last year and enjoyed them immensely. So did my 16 yo dd. Sometimes fluff is necessary

I just finished Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. They are JF books but so well written. They have a fairy tale feel to them. Goose Girl is the first of four books. Several years ago I read Princess Academy by the same author and really, really liked it.

Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 08 2010 at 10:06pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Natalia wrote:
I just finished Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. They are JF books but so well written. They have a fairy tale feel to them. Goose Girl is the first of four books. Several years ago I read Princess Academy by the same author and really, really liked it.

Oh we like these too. We have the first 3.. dd got them for Christmas. But not the 4th. She's already been making "suggestions" for her birthday

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2010 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Natalia wrote:

Quote:
I finished the Ally Carter series of Gallagher Girls in one week! Very cute stories of teenage spies that someone on this board recommend last year. (sorry, I don't remember who )
I just found out she is writing another one in the series due out for June!   Fluff reading I know!

Maybe it was me. I read them last year and enjoyed them immensely. So did my 16 yo dd. Sometimes fluff is necessary

I thought it was you Natalia!

I just picked up Princess Academy at a garage sale! I guess I have to add it to my side table reading!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Carmie
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 10 2010 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote Carmie

Hi On the nightstand right now:
The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
Simplicity Parenting (almost done with that one)
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie
The Road
The Day I Became and Auto-Didact

Just finished:
My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George
When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (I believe this is the Newberry winner.)

On MP3:
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

I read all of the Gallagher Girls books and it's fun to see that I'm not the only one who liked this series!

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2010 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Carmie,

I read When You Reach Me last year.It is such a well written and clever book. A delight to read, isn't it?

I also read The Road. That books is one of those that will be excellent for a book club. So much to talk about. It is dark, sober book.

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 05 2010 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Hey! Where did everybody go??!!

I have only read one book since I last posted (GASP!!!! )....but that is because the book I have picked up is meaty and slow-going.

I am saving DON QUIXOTE till after Lent.

The book I read was STALKED BY A MOUNTAIN LION by Jo Deurbrouck.

I wrote a review of sorts on my blog and the author picked up on it and left a note in the comments. I thought that was pretty cool!

I LOVED this book.......even if it has freaked me out!

It was extremely well-written and now I am better educated about mountain lions.....even if I am more freaked out. Oh, did I say that already??

So, what books did YOU finish up by the end of February?

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2010 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Last night I finished Five for Sorrow Ten for Joy by Rummer Godden I have to say that it the one I have liked the least from the RG books I have read. There were parts of the book I loved especially the parts that described life in the convent and how the rhythm of their days are punctuated by the rhythms of the liturgy. There were parts though that I found boring. And I didn't like the ending. Anybody else have read this?

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 05 2010 at 9:40pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

I have read a few in the past month.

SURPRISED BY JOY by C.S. Lewis

DINNER WITH ANNA KARENNINA by Gloria Goldreich. For a contemporary novel, this was pretty good.

SAME KIND AS DIFFERENT AS ME by Ron Hall and Denver Moore. Excellent book.

I AM REGINA by Sally Keehn. This is a pre-read for this month's unit study. It was a very good book about a girl kidnapped by Indians in the 19th century.

I am now reading WALDEN by Henry David Thoreau. This will take me awhile as I am only able to get through 10 pages a day.

MusingsofaPrairieGirl
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 06 2010 at 6:40am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Natalia wrote:
Last night I finished Five for Sorrow Ten for Joy by Rummer Godden I have to say that it the one I have liked the least from the RG books I have read. There were parts of the book I loved especially the parts that described life in the convent and how the rhythm of their days are punctuated by the rhythms of the liturgy. There were parts though that I found boring. And I didn't like the ending. Anybody else have read this?

I have read it and liked it a lot. The only other RG book I've read was In This House of Brede, and I liked them both very much, although "Five/Ten" certainly had some disturbing parts. I can't recall the ending; it's been a few years since I read it.

I've recently finished up several books.
The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy, on audio. It took me a long time to get into it but I ended up liking it very much.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame - bleah! I'd never read this and a friend and I are reading a few of the classics this year together. I'm glad I've read it now, to have that background, but so much of it was endless descriptions of Paris, the buildings, etc. And the archdeacon is so creepy. Ugh.

Mrs. Tim Christie and Mrs. Tim Christie Carries On both very good. I have the next one out from the library to start now and the last one on order through ILL. Thanks to whomever recommended these!

Chicken Tractor - this time of year I inevitably read lots of gardening books and I've been itching to get chickens, but it will probably have to wait one more year, sigh.

I just picked up Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food sort of a sequel to The Omnivore's Dilemma.

Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 06 2010 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Karen,
I don't want to spoil the ending for those who haven't read it.It is not necessarily a bad ending it just seems inconclusive. Almost as if there was to be a sequel.

I remember liking the Hunchback of ND. I do remember the endless descriptions. I think that books like that and some of Dickens' might be worth reading in a quality abridged version (I think is Penguin who puts out some really good ones).

I got some of D. E. Stevenson's books out right now. I read the Mrs Tim Christie's books several years ago and read the Miss Buncle's one last year. I have a couple of them out -don't remember the titles- but haven't gotten around to them yet.

I've never read Hardy before. I am listening to Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell from Librivox. Have you used Librivox before?

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 06 2010 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Funny you should mention Dickens - I have just in the past year rediscovered Dickens after a long period of not liking him. I don't even mind his wordiness b/c it's more in describing characters. Hugo's descriptions were all of cities, buildings, etc. Maybe if i'd ever been to Paris it would make more sense?

I do use Librivox and have listened to many great books from it - Austen, MacDonald, etc. I haven't read Wives and Daughters but it's on my list someday - I saw the North and South movie but haven't read it either.

karen

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 06 2010 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I've read:
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie
Mrs. Tim Christie
The Scarlett Pimpernel

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

aforb001
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 09 2010 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote aforb001

I've read:
The Scarlett Pimpernel - loved it and even read the sequel I Will Repay!
A Bird in the Tree and Pilgrim's Inn

For Lent I decided to read Ben-Hur and doing a search at the library found The Scarlett Pimpernel of the Vatican which is the story behind the movie The Scarlet and the Black.
Back to Top View aforb001's Profile Search for other posts by aforb001

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2010 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

The Scarlet Pimpernel is one of my absolute favorite books of all time. I just listened to it on audio earlier this year, again. And I love the movie with Anthony Andrews!

I think there are quite a few sequels but I haven't read any of them myself.

karen

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 10 2010 at 11:31pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

LOVE Scarlet Pimpernel, too! My two oldest read a bunch of sequels, but said none were as good as the first. Some of the movie renditions use some of the stories from more than the first book.

The North and South movie: not as good as the book.......not surprised?

Since Les Miserables is one of my top five favorite books.....I have always wanted to give Hunchback a chance.

I started WALDEN last summer...I made it just over half way............am taking a break for a year and will finish it in May/June.....as there is a photography exhibit coming to a nearby museum "all about Walden" Can't wait to see it.....we hiked around Walden Pond while on our cross-country trip.

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2010 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Chari wrote:

Since Les Miserables is one of my top five favorite books.....I have always wanted to give Hunchback a chance.

My friend who is reading these with me, had read Les Miserables also and loved it, so she was the one who suggested Hunchback, after her teen son liked it. She kept apologizing to me for suggesting this book b/c she said it was nothing like Les Mis, which I have not read yet! so, apparently don't expect similar writing - I think they were written 30-40 years apart in his career IIRC. I'm glad I read it, just to have that under my belt, so to speak, but there were a lot of descriptive parts (pages and pages on the outlay of parts of Paris for example) that I skimmed quickly.

Karen

aforb001
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 15 2010 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote aforb001

I Will Repay! was not quite as good as The Scarlet Pimpernel, but not too bad. The movie with Anthony Andrews and Jane Seymour was great! I loved it. It was based on TSP and Eldorado, so the story was a little different but was very well done. This was one case where the movie was as good as the book. However, I'm reading Ben-Hur now, and I'm not enjoying it as much as the movie. Maybe, it's because I've seen the movie so many times.

Adele

Back to Top View aforb001's Profile Search for other posts by aforb001

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 06 2010 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

OK - I've finally finished a few books and feel like I have enough to post, here:

Happy Are You Poor, Fr. Thomas Dubay
The Lilies of the Field, William E. Barrett
The Song of Bernadette, Franz Werfel
Siblings Without Rivalry, Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish
My Antonia, Willa Cather (I've lived in NE since 1996 and finally read one of her books!)

DH 'made' me start A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens next because HE's read it and I never have...it's taking me a little bit to shift from Cather to Dickens.

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 06 2010 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Thanks for the reminder, Stephanie! Here are my reads for February and March:

D.E. Stevenson's Mrs. Tim Christie - Recommended here several times. Witty and charming.

Rebecca Stead's When You Reach Me - Middle-grade novel. Satisfying and smart. Walked the line between light and heavy reading quite well.

Chris Farrell's The New Frugality - I was hoping for a good economics-for-non-economists overview, but this was more common sense and less educational than I was looking for. Skimmed the "going green" sections--not my cup of tea. ;)

Natalie Kinsey-Warnock's Gifts from the Sea - Eh. More middle-grade fiction.

E.D. Hirsch's Cultural Literacy - Finally got around to reading this one!

Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto - And this one too--it's been on my list for a while, but I wanted to read it before picking up his new one (Food Rules).

David Denby's Great Books - Finished this one up last month, though I didn't read it straight through. After getting bogged down toward the end of the ancients, I skipped around to the chapters that interested me and called it a day. I do enjoy Denby's writing style, and I loved his task of reclaiming the canon. His frustrations reminded me of my grad school days. ;)

Oh, and Fulton Sheen's Life of Christ was fabulous Holy Week reading. I had to return it this weekend, but it's on hold for me again at the library so I can finish it up next month. Highly recommended.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version