Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: what does your evening look like? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maddie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote Maddie

Could you share with me what your evening routine is like? On a typical evening, say from the dinner hour until bed? What do your children do to entertain themselves? What do you do to unwind after they're in bed? Do you spend your evenings with the children or do you all disperse in different directions?

I'm curious as to what other families do and I'm also looking for ideas to make our evenings more memorable and pleasant. Not that I'm looking for more work, I'm usually pretty tired, but I love reading about Almanzo Wilder's family eating apples and popcorn together on long winter nights and I am wondering what everyone else does for the "Children's Hour".

Back to Top View Maddie's Profile Search for other posts by Maddie

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Maddie- my family walks after dinner as often as possible. Sometimes the weather will not allow this... but if it does, we go. Right now the kids are enjoying taking flashlights and looking for deer, owls, etc.   Then we come in and everyone has an area to clean up (sometimes we do the cleaning before the walk: if you don't clean, we don't walk...)

When we get home we say our family rosary and prayers. At this time of year we add in lighting the Yule log and reading a Christmas book from our Advent basket. If there is left over time, the kids can play before bath time.
Dh does the bathing at our house, and I use that time to put away laundry or various other things. If I am all caught up, I use that time to answer e-mail, etc.

After bath the kids have a snack, then we read a chapter or two from whatever book we have going. Then Dh and I each take a kid to tuck into bed.

That all sounds very nice, but the kids do tend to get pretty wound up on the walk and then in the tub. If they don't behave in prayers, they don't get a snack before bed. By the time they are both asleep, dh and I are both pretty exhausted. The only things I do at night are read and do some computer work (read the forums, do on-line shopping, etc). I tell myself that whatever doesn't get done by 8 pm can wait til the next day.

Unless it's urgent, I give myself the evenings off.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

Now that it is dark so early, we are inside reading, the kids play games with Dad (while I exercise or have some quiet time alone) and then (ideally) we pray the rosary and have baths. They go to bed fairly early (the older ones can stay up later and entertain themselves) and the Dh and I have our time. Usually, we just sit and chat about our day for 45 minutes or so. Then we read and pray before bed.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

My husband often has to work late, so we don't have very much time between dinner and bedtime. We try to pray the Rosary together then. Sometimes my dh reads stories to the younger children. I often will be helping my dd with her homework at this time (she is in a Catholic high school this year for the first time). After the little ones go to bed, dh and I sit and talk with dd for a little bit and then we all go to bed early, since we need to take dd to the school bus at 6:15 a.m.! I unwind by praying the Divine Office and reading, and my dh also reads his Bible at this time. Then we chat a bit...and that's our basic plan!

I'm usually too tired at night to do any great "family" moments. If they happen, and sometimes they do, it is just a special blessing!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Sarah M
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 8:23pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah M

SeaStar wrote:
Maddie- my family walks after dinner as often as possible. Sometimes the weather will not allow this... but if it does, we go. Right now the kids are enjoying taking flashlights and looking for deer, owls, etc.   

I love this!!!

Back to Top View Sarah M's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah M

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

My kids are all still young, so bedtime is early here (6:30 if they don't nap, 8 if they do). My husband does arrive home from work at 5pm every day, though, so after dinner, we usually pray the Rosary and then he reads to the toddlers while I put the baby to sleep. Then we get ready for bed, do evening devotions, and leave them for the night.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

violingirl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 16 2009 at 12:48am | IP Logged Quote violingirl

We're in a little bit of a strange situation right now while my DH is in school. Three nights a week he isn't home until after 10, so I'm on my own for the evening.

We do bath time and pajamas, then we read a picture book and the Bible together then pray. On the nights Daddy is home the boys get to each have a little time alone with him- DS1 has a picture search he likes to do with him, and DS2 usually asks daddy to sing. :)

After the boys are in bed I usually check in on some online stuff then sew or knit when DH isn't home. On the nights he is home we talk for awhile until he has to do homework or if he's all caught up we play games.

Back to Top View violingirl's Profile Search for other posts by violingirl Visit violingirl's Homepage

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 16 2009 at 6:59am | IP Logged Quote LucyP

Half the time my DH is not at home, so I never factor his presence into our plans - basically we eat, ideally at around five, then I do dishes while the children play at the table with a mama-selected toy (puzzle, wooden village etc) or look at books. Then, if we didn't eat until nearer six, we just get into pjs - if we were early, we do baths followed by pjs. If DH is home that week, he reads aloud using a chapter book; if it's just me, I do a couple of picture books. Once that is done, we do nappies, then we light the bedtime candle, have blessings and kisses, pop on a talking book/lullaby CD, and I go downstairs. They are in bed by 7. But mine are just 6 and 2, neither will nap, and they are exhausted in the evening. I am looking forward to spending more time together in the evening as they get older, or if we get a dishwasher and I can spend less time washing dishes!
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

Gloria JMJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 16 2009 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote Gloria JMJ

My family fights a computer addiction . While I'm making dinner, one of the boys is setting up a game of Command and Conquer Generals with Dad on our networked computers, while the others are helping me get dinner on the table (with lots of prodding from mom to help and not watch the game ) Then after dinner, whoever isn't playing the game helps with the cleanup and pjs go on unless it's still light enough out to play outside for a while. Then we do a general tidy of the house and have evening prayers and ideally I read to them from a chapter book (Redwall, Swiss family, etc) and tuck them in. I'll sit at the computer and nurse the babie to sleep while dh is at the other computer and we'll talk about the day at that time and then go to bed ourselves.

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 16 2009 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

My kids are pretty little so we don't have much of an evening. Dinner is 5:30-6:30 depending on when dh gets home. Then we move pretty directly (though we try not to rush) through: Evening Prayer, five minute pickup, everyone upstairs, I nurse the baby in our bed while dh reads a picture book and a chapter to the other two kids, then we come downstairs. Our kids are usually down between 7:45 and 8:30. Usually dh and I both have some work to do but we too often just end up sitting and talking.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 16 2009 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

I drive back and forth to the pool, but I bet that's not an activity you're looking for...

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 17 2009 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

We eat dinner around 5:00. Then you never know what will happen. DH spends a lot of time in his man cave, but he might come up to play some Beatles Rock Band or other Wii games with the girls. Sometimes I play a board game or watch a movie with the big girls. Or one hops on the computer, another watches a movie, and I read. Or they go upstairs to play in the playroom while I watch television. Or any combination.

At 9:00 it's snack time then getting ready for bed. 9:45 sees the start of the "lights-on" routine. These days it's family football...lots of tackling daddy, for about 15 minutes. Then putting the big girls to bed. Once they are settled then the toddler and I head to bed, usually around 10:30.

Welcome to our crazy life!

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 17 2009 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

I don't have time to post extensively but I will give you a bare bones schedule that is pretty much followed. Keep in mind it is HECTIC and pretty much every single person around here is melting down at this point. We all get grumpy and need to go to sleep late in the afternoon!

Dinner is served between 5:45 and 6 every night. Immediately after dinner, older kids clean up. Then oral medicines, then Rosary (sometime littles are put to bed before Rosary because they are losing it....), then breathing treatments, teeth, and hopefully, bedtime books, with Mom. My husband sings to the littles every night when they are tucked in----he is amazingly consistent. They are kind of addicted and sometimes whine that they can not fall asleep if he is not here to do so.....then I do so, if I have patience, or I tell them to get to sleep IMMEDIATELY.

We used to have daddy read aloud of fiction when all of the kids were "little" but now we have too much of an age range and it is too chaotic. But the older kids wax nostalgic from time to time: "REMEMBER when Dad used to do read-aloud every night".   "sigh...."

I can't believe the books he got through, including all of the Tolkien. Those were the days....

Just kidding. To every time there is a season, purpose under heaven, etc. etc.

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

Michiel
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 18 2009 at 4:49am | IP Logged Quote Michiel

Ours isn't very exciting, but I like it.

After dinner, all of us are in the kitchen together cleaning it up, usually all getting in each other's way, until everything is done. Then we read a story aloud together. We rotate who gets to pick the next story. After stories, we might watch a movie, play a board game, play ping pong, or read books individually. Often the boys go upstairs and horse around. Then jammies, and read in bed. Prayers, kisses, etc.
Back to Top View Michiel's Profile Search for other posts by Michiel

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 18 2009 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote Willa

Nina Murphy wrote:
But the older kids wax nostalgic from time to time: "REMEMBER when Dad used to do read-aloud every night".   "sigh...."

I can't believe the books he got through, including all of the Tolkien. Those were the days....

That sounds like our family back in the "old days".

Our evenings are fairly short since we eat late -- about 6:30 when the highschooler comes home.   Then it's usually just sort of dinking around until we say family prayers and then the younger ones bedtimes -- meds, read alouds and "blessings".

DH listens to Teaching Company tapes at bedtime, and I listen too, and/or read.    The older kids read in bed too.

That's about it -- rather boring!   Sometimes especially on weekends I bake something and the family hangs around the kitchen and talks. Sometimes DH and older children watch a video together.   And sometimes there are seasonal sports commitments.   

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version