Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: wii, wii, wii, all the way home Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote melanie

Shhh...
Let me make sure no one is looking over my shoulder...
We are getting the kids a wii for Christmas,,,tomorrow, in fact, dh and I are going shopping. We have never owned video games before, and I've never wanted any. I'm making an exception for the Wii. Anyway, can someone help me out here, I don't know much about it. What kind of games have been faves for your kids at what ages? I have a 13yo, 9yo, and 5yo that would be interested in it. What kinds of extra stuff is needed for those games, stuff that doesn't come with the basic system? I don't want to find out on Christmas day that someone can't play their game because we needed something else, kwim?

Thanks!

slightlycrunchycatholic.blogspot.com
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

My kids love the outdoor challenge game and it is very good for keeping them active indoors during the winter...it comes with the mat that you place on the floor and they have to run, jump, and hop to complete the activities. THe Mario Bros. games are all popular around here, especially Cart Racing. They are getting the Hasbro family games one for Christmas this year...I think it will be fun for all of us.

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

My dad got one for the kids last year. The Wii will come with one remote and one nunchuk attachment. The only extra thing we had to get was an extra remote so that the kids could play two player games together. Some people will want to have one nunchuk per remote. They are used for the boxing games specifically. Our kids don't box each other, only the computer, so one nunchuk works for us.

My kids were fine just playing the Wii sports games that came with it for a while. On the sound advice of some friends with lots of boys, we bought the Outdoor Challenge game for my son's birthday. It came with everything you needed to play it and they loved it.

Hope that helps!

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

MrsM
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote MrsM

Another vote for the Outdoor Challenge game. It's really fun, and it requires kids to do a lot more than just zone out in front of a screen (which is my secret fear with any sort of electronic game ). Less active but still fun have been Wii Play and Wii Sports.

We've only had ours for a few months, so I don't have a ton of experience, but we're loading up on Wii games for Christmas instead of buying a lot of individual toys. The grandparents always want us to do the Christmas shopping, which is really fun! So far I've purchased a Wii Fit, Mario Brothers Kart Racing w/ Wheel, Animal Crossing, My Sims Agent and Snow Boarding.

Mom to darling Elizabeth and Francis, held in Mary's arms and always in my heart
Back to Top View MrsM's Profile Search for other posts by MrsM

Becky Le
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 6:36pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Le

As a family we love Wii Sports, Wii Fit/Plus and Boom Blox (not as active but good for strategizing). My son loves all of the Lego games, to me they're just the same thing over and over again. My daughter likes Cooking Mama because she likes to see all of the different dishes.

Not too long ago we bought "Science Papa" as a gift for a friend's son and all of the boys at his birthday party loved it.

A good place to find Wii games is in the Clearance section of the electronics section at Target. They always have older Wii games for sale.

jenk
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote jenk

My guys 14 and 8 also love Outdoor Challenge and the Lego games. My oldest is getting the Beatles Band game this Christmas. We have Wii fit (mine ) but boys and dh like that one too. And my best friend sent Animal Crossing when she found out I was pregnant and needed to be off my feet - both my boys play that one too.

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote Barbara C.

When we bought our Wii we bought an extra controller and nunchuk. We also bought the charger with rechargeable batteries. We later got the Wii Fit. Oh, and we bought Rock Band (which was our whole purpose in buying a system in the first place!).

Here's our favorites and who plays them:

Wii Fit: 4-year-old can really only do jogging, but the 7-year-old and parents have enjoyed many of the activities, especially the balance games.

Wii Play: (I think this may have come in a bundle with the extra remote/nunchuk)--4 year old is awesome at cow racing, 4 and 7 year old like fishing, 68 year old grandfather liked target shooting.

Game Party 2: DH loves this one with lawn darts, horse shoes, beanbags, darts, and shuffleboard

Lego Star Wars the Complete Saga & Zack & Wiki: Really fun and highly rated games. Too hard for my kids to play on their own, though. I'm guessing that they're more for 10 & up

Imagine Fashion Party--7 year old bought this with her own money. Some parts of the "story" mode were too hard for her to do alone, but she loves the mix and match of the "free style". Some styles are slightly immodest, though.

Original Mario 1, 2, 3--can be purchased with money on-line. These are my favorite as they bring back memories, but oldest daughter can get through the first few levels.

Beatles Rock Band: Total family fun. Our middle girl was three when we got this and did well on the drums. 7 and 4 year old can only sing or do drums or pretend to play their own instruments (even 18 m old tries to play). But we're big Beatles fans here!!

They are getting Mario Kart with extra wheel for Christmas. I've had it highly recommended by others with kids the same age as mine.

***Wii games are very hit and miss. They can be great or completely terrible, so try to read some reviews before buying too much.

I had heard good things about Wii Music, but we haven't got as much out of it as we thought we would.

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

We too are buying the Wii as the family gift from "Santa" ... it comes with the sports bundle, but we also bought a Nancy Drew game for all of us (especially the girls 18 & 9 yo) and grand'p's are getting Mario Kart with the Wheel and we might get Wii Fit Plus with Balance Board for the family for Epiphany (it seems like a great New Year's resolution tool!)

The kids have played Wii at friends' houses and LOVE it ... they even wrote a letter to St. Nick (which dh and I had to sign) that we relinquished all claims on Santa gifts if he would bring a Wii for the family!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 11:53pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Mary G wrote:
The kids have played Wii at friends' houses and LOVE it ...

And where might that be?

I polled my kids and got Mario Kart and Wii Play (which comes with a remote - another reason to get it) from one and Shaun White Snowboarding and LEGO Star Wars from another.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 5:16am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

MaryM wrote:
Mary G wrote:
The kids have played Wii at friends' houses and LOVE it ...

And where might that be?

I polled my kids and got Mario Kart and Wii Play (which comes with a remote - another reason to get it) from one and Shaun White Snowboarding and LEGO Star Wars from another.
Well, see now next y'all come visit ... not only do we have cable and wifi but we'll have a Wii! And I've been hearing about the Wii since they played it at your house ... what 4 years ago? You guys were the trendsetters back then and still are ...

We miss you, terribly!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 5:44am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

You'll need extra nunchuks, and the Mario games are IT around here....but the Wii sports are a lot of fun, too! We are getting Wii Fit for Christmas, I am secretly hoping I can do it, too, and take a break from "Walking Away the Pounds".   

molly
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote molly

Lego Star wars! Prince caspian, Mario anything, and Daawn of Discovery. My kids LOVE Dawn of Discovery

I highly recommend to get the Wii chargers for teh remotes. the battery situation can become ridiculous quickly, and extra remotes are great.

If you look at the top right side on the back of the games, you will see icons telling you what accesories are needed for that game and how many can play along. We love Wii ski for this reason, as 4 kids can ski at the same time.
Have fun, it was pur first foray into video anything and I do not regret it.
Back to Top View molly's Profile Search for other posts by molly

Barb.b
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote Barb.b

OK - I already bought it for gift this year for the kids. But I can't figure out - do I need bateries? Its already wrapped and so I can't go check on the box. I guess I would rather have regular batteries on hand if I need them and get a recharable battery thing later.

Barb
Back to Top View Barb.b's Profile Search for other posts by Barb.b

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I forgot to mention that this year, PawPaw is giving them Wii MotionPlus attachments for their remotes and the Wii Sports Resort game to go with it. I can't wait to see my kids get to fence and do archery! We should start a thread reviewing Wii games. I would love to see them especially rated for activity level required of the user and moments of peril.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

molly
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote molly

Barb have pleny of AA on hand for teh remotes, that should cover you.

molly
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 8:24am | IP Logged Quote molly

Matilda wrote:
! We should start a thread reviewing Wii games. .

Good idea. as the Outdoor adventure game has now sparked my interest. I bought Cabelas Hunter game, but now I am wondering about this Outdoor one

martinas6
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote martinas6

My kids love the wii. It is a great motivator for getting school done:)

http://www.mamax9.blogspot.com
Back to Top View martinas6's Profile Search for other posts by martinas6 Visit martinas6's Homepage

melanie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote melanie

Ok, I'm back from shopping...
We lassooed the help of a young associate at Target who tried his best not to roll his eyes when we asked questions like, "Are all the remotes wireless?" And then my husband broke into hysterical cackles when the guy called the remotes "wii-motes". I told him to quit acting like such an Atari playing hayseed.

We ended up buying Wii sports, which came with the Wii console, and Sports resort...I didn't see Outdoor Challenge there and forgot about it, but the 9yo has a birthday in Feb., maybe then...we got Hasbro games for my 5yo, he loves board games and I'm sure he'll like this...and we got Sonic something or other for the 9yo...and we got iCarley for the 13yo, which is probably not a great game but she's a 13yo prissy thing...I wasn't sure what else to get her. We also got an extra controller with one of the games, and we got the motion sensor thingies, a charger, an extra nunchuk...I think that's it. I have no idea how much we spent, I left with the toddler while my dh checked out, which is just as well... But we didn't really pay for most of it. My in-laws always send a family check for Christmas and so that paid for most of it. Thank you grandma and grandpa!

slightlycrunchycatholic.blogspot.com
Back to Top View melanie's Profile Search for other posts by melanie Visit melanie's Homepage

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

melanie wrote:
Atari playing hayseed.

HEY...where can I get one of those good ole Atari sets?! Ahhhh...that's the one *I* used to play at the neighbor's house!   Memories, memories....

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Kathryn wrote:
melanie wrote:
Atari playing hayseed.

HEY...where can I get one of those good ole Atari sets?! Ahhhh...that's the one *I* used to play at the neighbor's house!   Memories, memories....

Kathryn, I'm ready for a game of "pong" whenever you are!

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version